Campster Top Stabilizing ? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-21-2015, 12:27 PM   #1

Name: Teri
Trailer: Casita looking for, currently have a RoadTrek
California
Registry
Campster Top Stabilizing ?

As I am working on my trailer I am trying to figure out an easy way to stabilize the pop top on the Campster. The top is lifted and held up with a "scissor" mechanism and springs. It has always wobbled some and now it has a tendency to slip down.

I am trying to figure out a way to easily keep up the top and remove the wobble. My thoughts have ranged from getting the hydraulic bed lifts, using the VW Vanagon style to making an H or U shape to fold into place.

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions would be welcome and appreciated.

Thanks.
teri85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
We have a similar thing in our Compact II, but instead of springs the bottoms of the scissors go onto studs and are held in place by wing nuts. The upper points are on a track so they can go out to close or closer together to hold up the top. It wobbles only to the extent that there is a little extra fabric between the pop-top and the roof.
Gas struts might be a good solution. How would you attach them?

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
Teri Can you post a pic of your top lift mechanism. I jus redid the anchoring system for my Hunter Compact-II's fabric and, as a result, it is very stable when up

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 04:08 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Any question like this seems to require another question to asked, how much "wobble" is too much?
Old 07-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #5

Weebles Wobble, but they don't fall Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Any question like this seems to require another question to asked, how much "wobble" is too much?
Isn't that a rather personal question? LOL

Old 07-22-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Name: Rich
Trailer: 1970 Trails West Campster and 2012 Lil Snoozy
Kansas
Registry
Here is what we did with dowels-easy and cheap.
It works good-even in high winds.
Just tied the dowels together to make an 'X' and wedged them in the top corners and on top of the hooks holder for the top.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Rich and Rei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:38 PM   #7

California
Registry
Bob, I have a picture from when I purchased the trailer. I have replaced the fabric and it helped a little. The top definitely leans to the passenger side.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0234.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	87019

Name:	IMG_0315.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	87020

Name:	IMG_0316.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	87021

I will try to get a current picture tomorrow. The cloth is down for repair at the moment.

The dowels look interesting. I haven't figured out exactly how to attach the lifts. yet, if I go that route. I would like the top to not pull on the fabric sideways, which it does now.

I appreciate the suggestions and pictures. I can see the pull on the gray fabric in the second picture.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

My fabric was factory attached top and bottom with about 12 screws and was not pulling very evenly.

I used 1/8 x 3/4" aluminum strip on all sides top and bottom and pulled the material so that it was even when the top was in its raise position, and then attached the strips with about 48 3/16 pop-rivets.

I have scissors similar to yours for support but they are on the inside, and are located in the up position with a latching plate on each side.

I just finished the banding two days ago and will update my photobucket file tomorrow.

I am still using the original 1973 fabric with new screens and widow flaps sewn in.

BTW: Where are you located in Ca?

Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 PM   #9

California
Registry
Bob, I am in the Bay Area.

I Used velcro on the top and have a good firm fit. The bottom was originally in-between the top and the frame for the lift mechanism. It meant that the entire thing had to be taken apart to get to the fabric. I want to avoid that. The aluminum sounds interesting.

I have seen the latching plate on a number of the Hunter's. I am thinking that it helps stabilize the top.

I look forward to the pictures. I spend a good deal of time looking at the mods you have done to your compact. I looked at the way you did your port-a-potty and may include the pull out, though it slides easily right now.
Old 07-22-2015, 09:51 PM   #10

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich and Rei View Post
Here is what we did with dowels-easy and cheap.
It works good-even in high winds.
Just tied the dowels together to make an 'X' and wedged them in the top corners and on top of the hooks holder for the top.
I did almost the same thing but with nylon straps, crossing on the ends. It makes the top pretty stable without the canvas. ( That is, it DID... my top of course recently became very unstable and flew away. But the nylon straps will still stabilize the pop top frame.)
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 11:59 PM   #11

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
I did almost the same thing but with nylon straps, crossing on the ends. It makes the top pretty stable without the canvas. ( That is, it DID... my top of course recently became very unstable and flew away. But the nylon straps will still stabilize the pop top frame.)
Bobbie, what's the progress on roof fix?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 04:45 PM   #12

I put up a few pics of my Hunter Fabric attachment project. There are additional pics in the link as well.
Look here: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post536732

Sorry about the spelling, maybe an administrator will fix it? Please

Old 07-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego Dave View Post
Bobbie, what's the progress on roof fix?
I made a temporary plywood top for use this summer (only two trips) and then will work on a new top in the fall/winter. (Now that I have a garage). I realized using the temp top that as little as three more inches is plenty to let me stand up straight so may just make a permanent top if I can figure out a good way to have it open for ventilation of some sort. Or someone suggested hinging it so that it could be opened and propped up at just one end.

So still figuring out just how to do a new top- I don't know yet how the mechanism is- still working on moving in to the new place so just parked the trailer there and haven't done anything since the first trip.
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campster