Can fiberglass resin go bad? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Can fiberglass resin go bad?

This afternoon, in a warm garage, I mixed some fiberglass resin and some hardener together. It seems like I had the right proportions... I did my job, left and came back three hours later to find everything as liquidy as when I left. The resin was purchased a couple years ago. I didn't think it could go bad...can it? The tint was greenish instead of the regular caramel color.

I washed everything and started over with new resin. All seems normal this time.
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #2

Name: Donald
Trailer: Happier Camper HC1 (Subaru Outback Stranded Me)now towing with RAM 1500 Ecodiesel Major overkill.
California
Can fiberglass resin go bad?

I have used West epoxy that was a few years old without problems. The time I did have problems was when I was using the pre measured pumps that would pump out the Resin and Hardener at the correct proportion. I did not realize, but I was getting less hardener than the proper amount. (It seemed to be the right proportion). The epoxy never really cured, though it seemed to. Paint would not stick and I eventually had to torch it off the boat I was building.

Don
Sacramento
Old 03-08-2016, 12:01 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17FD
Rapides Parish La.
...epoxy resin has an almost indefinite shelf life...fiberglass(polyester) resin has a definite shelf life...MEK can help it last longer...look on fiberglass boat forums for more info on this.....
madjack
madjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:13 AM   #4

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
I agree about the pumps, they can clog and not give out equal portions so the mix would be off and not set right. I have used 10 year old resin and the only difference was it darkened a little more amber coloured as it aged. But worked fine.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp
Sometimes the hardening process needs to be triggered if the ambient temperature is not warm enough. You can do this with a heat lamp or heat gun. Even a blow dryer for hair can do this.
Thom Rowland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Trailer: Home Built
The catalyst is definitely bad and probably the resin is bad also...sorry, but I would buy fresh...Fiberglass Dave
D White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 08:29 PM   #7

Name: Tom
Trailer: Trillium
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Cereal View Post
This afternoon, in a warm garage, I mixed some fiberglass resin and some hardener together. It seems like I had the right proportions... I did my job, left and came back three hours later to find everything as liquidy as when I left. The resin was purchased a couple years ago. I didn't think it could go bad...can it? The tint was greenish instead of the regular caramel color.

I washed everything and started over with new resin. All seems normal this time.
Were I work we make composite resins ( fiberglass ) is just one name.
As it gets old it will gell up , you can still use two year old resin but it may take longer to harden up. You should mix it 100 to 1 resin to hardener.

Last summer I was doing some fiberglassing and did not use enough hardener and it took over night to dry.

Hope this helps.
caderider1 is offline   Reply With Quote