Can I Cut These Off? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #1

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Can I Cut These Off?

I need to get under my trailer and these screws/bolts/whatever they are scare me. They come to a point and extend down about 2" lower than everything around them. If the trailer was to drop an inch when I am underneath it could be bad.

I think they just fasten the floor to the frame. I was going to take bolt cutters and snap them off about 1/4" from the frame. Any problem with doing that? Not all of them, just the ones in my way.
Attached Thumbnails
screw.jpg  
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 05:53 PM   #2

Trailer: Oliver
Registry
That will be fine. Better than a sharp screw in your eye...
Steve Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
No problem getting rid of the extra length. If I was going to do it, I'd use a 4 1/2" grinder with a cutoff wheel. Those are probably pretty hard.

If you don't have one, you can get them at Harbor Freight really cheap, and the wheels too.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:47 AM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I have cut a lot of stainless and galvanized bolts and screws shorter using a Dremel motor and a fiber reinforced cut off disc. It is a lot easier to hold in your hands and get into tight spaces than a larger angle grinder.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:20 AM   #5
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hard to tell but those look like self drilling screws. My first trailer had them. They rusted away and had to be replaced. You might consider replacing them with standard bolts, galvanized or stainless.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:20 AM   #6

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
If it’s anything like a Scamp, there are dozens. Replacing them all... nah. Just cut off the offender, leaving a little sticking out.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 06:55 AM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Interesting... you asked "Can I," yet all the answers were to the question, "Should I."

I can see where future removal might be a little more difficult if you cut them off, but that's a minor issue (IMHO).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 09:29 AM   #8

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
I'd rather cut them off with a Dremel or a right-angle grinder; that will minimize the damage to the threads, in case you ever need to undo them. The bolt-cutters will mangle the threads, making it difficult to unscrew them.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #9

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
A thought not based on experience: I'd put a nut on the bolt before cutting to be able to unscrew it after cutting using it as a cheap die to chase the threads.

I'd use a 4½" angle grinder too. Expect sparks all over. Make sure that nothing flammable is nearby. Wear gloves. WEAR A FACE MASK.
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:59 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I have cut a lot of stainless and galvanized bolts and screws shorter using a Dremel motor and a fiber reinforced cut off disc. It is a lot easier to hold in your hands and get into tight spaces than a larger angle grinder.
I have used both methods many hundreds, even thousands of times. Because I mostly do it professionally, I use a grinder with a cut-off blade the vast majority of the time as you can do 10 with it in the same time as with a Dremel, especially when the material is really hard.

But, we all should just do what we are most comfortable with. If it is our own project time is not of the essence in many cases anyway.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #11

Name: Maria
Trailer: Parkliner 2018
Maryland
Huck, is that a wood floor I see on that Parkliner? I thought they were ALL fiberglass? I'm in the market for a used Parkliner because they are supposedly surround FG and the only thing wood are the cabinet doors. Would like to know, is that a wood floor? TIA.
Maria in MD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:09 AM   #12

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by minke View Post
[FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]...

I'd use a 4½" angle grinder too. Expect sparks all over. Make sure that nothing flammable is nearby. Wear gloves. WEAR A FACE MASK.
and EYE PROTECTION!!!!
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:34 AM   #13

Name: Eric
Trailer: Chalet Arrowhead
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Interesting... you asked "Can I," yet all the answers were to the question, "Should I."

I can see where future removal might be a little more difficult if you cut them off, but that's a minor issue (IMHO).
Future removal won't be a problem. They'll come out faster and easier. Usually the reason for long bolts in seemingly irrational places is to aid installation.
EricJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:35 AM   #14

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria in MD View Post
Huck, is that a wood floor I see on that Parkliner? I thought they were ALL fiberglass? I'm in the market for a used Parkliner because they are supposedly surround FG and the only thing wood are the cabinet doors. Would like to know, is that a wood floor? TIA.
HC1, EGG, and Lil Snoozy, are the only 3 that I know of that are built like that. There may be others.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:25 PM   #15

Name: alan
Trailer: looking
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
and EYE PROTECTION!!!!

Eye protection is part of a face mask, or in OSHA speak, a face shield.

e.g. https://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-Clear...0025/202195394
minke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 01:12 PM   #16

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Wear a helmet when crawling under the trailer to avoid the "Long" bolts rather than cutting em off.

Another easy solution!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote