Can you lock this style of trailer hitch - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
I would like to be able to lock the trailer onto the vehicle, as well as lock the trailer hitch to prevent it from being attached to a vehicle. I don't know how to achieve this with this style of hitch. Ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4715_1_1_1.JPG  
Cam A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 09:21 AM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
There are things like this out there.
http://www.miskatrailers.com/superstore/pa...=100&cid=18
Old 08-04-2007, 09:23 AM   #3

More locks
http://www.etrailer.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?S...Category_Code=L
Old 08-04-2007, 09:36 AM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

The lock in Chester's first link is more effective if there is a second lock preventing the coupler's latching mechanism from being opened. I double lock my hitch.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer_Hitch.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	9328

My Compact Jr. had a coupler like yours. It had a strategically placed hole in the side, close to but behind the pivot pin, that a standard padlock would lock into when the coupler was closed, preventing the coupler from sliding back to the open position.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #5

That's the problem; the coupler has no hole. If I drill one, it may weaken the coupler.
Old 08-04-2007, 10:11 AM   #6

Hi Cam
I think you have same coupler as i and mine has a hole through it.Could you double check with coupler in close position by taking a long object like a nail and try pushing through?
Below is my coupler.Poor photo its raining out.
Attached Thumbnails
c1.jpg   c2.jpg  

Old 08-04-2007, 11:07 AM   #7

I did find a single hole on one side; however, putting a lock through it does not prevent the coupler from latching nor unlatching.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4717_2_1_1.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	9335
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4719_1_1_1.JPG  
Old 08-04-2007, 11:35 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Cam, I think you'll find that it *looks* like it can be opened, but it does not actually slide back far enough for the mechanism to clear.

My 13 was like this (As is my 17) and it threw me at first too. I checked with a loose ball.. it didn't seat.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:39 AM   #9

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
My Burro has the same hitch. I put a lock thru that hole and an old 2" ball and you can't get the ball out.
I lock this also when hooked up to the truck and traveling.

So the Old ball acts as a hitch lock when parked at home or away.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 01:27 PM   #10

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I also had that style coupler on my Jayco and a lock or pin in the hole would prevent it from opening. Not going to stop a determined thief, but will discourage vandalism. I also drilled a hole through the pin for my ball mount bar and put a lock in that.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:50 AM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
That's certainly the lock hole, Cam. Mine is an Atwood (they may be the only manufacturer of this style) and there's even a label ("lock here" or something) stamped by that hole. I use it, and I suspect that Gina, Pete, and Pete are right about it working.

I was talking with a local trailer manufacturer, and he said he uses those Atwood couplers exclusively, and pays a premium over more typical designs, because they are better built.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #12

Well I'll be hornswaggled!! I was sure that the latch was coming all the way back when the lock was on it; however, when I hooked it up and tried it, I could jack the trailer and the tug up, the coupler would not disengage from the ball, even with the latch all the way back. That will teach me to doubt the wisdom of this forum.
Hooked up and heading south for Duluth; with a tour of the Scamp factory on Monday. Should be fun...
Old 08-12-2007, 01:10 PM   #13

Name: Alan
Trailer: Triple E Surf Side
Ontario
I thought I recognized the photo as being the same as the coupler on my 76 Triple E Surf Side.

I changed my coupler partly because I believed it was not lockable. Also because it was slightly damaged to the point I needed to use a hammer to tap it closed before I could put the handle down. However I prefer the new one which I got for $20 at Princess Auto (also an Atwood). It has a conventional sized hole that accepts a standard combination lock. I leave the lock through the hole when not hooked to the two vehicle. This way I'm reminded to lock the coupler when hooking up. I like having a lock as the old one did actually come off once while driving. I was lucky to get away with only a case of heart in mouth. Also, I'm not particularly paranoid, but have always worried that some sick practical joker might open it when I was stopped somewhere.

BTW - When I was having the new coupler installed the welder at the trailer shop told me the chains (original) were no longer legal (at least in Ontario). They changed them for new legal ones. Much heavier and with the obligatory hooks with snap closures. Good change. Much easier to use than the old ones that fastened with a bolt. No longer have to crawl on hands and knees to hook up.

Alan
Alan P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #14

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
I would like to be able to lock the trailer onto the vehicle, as well as lock the trailer hitch to prevent it from being attached to a vehicle. I don't know how to achieve this with this style of hitch. Ideas?
This kind of lock might work in your situation.

Attachment 4128

The circle is showing the weld after I cut the lock. The story is in the thread "I hate it when I'm stupid, Stories from our Boo-boo moments".
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote