Canopy for storage and camping? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2009, 11:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1985 13 ft U-Haul
Amy Probably to expensive, and maybe to big, but an outfitters wall tent would do all you want and then some. No problem with snow, rain etc. and I would think plenty of room. I am not to sure about adequate height but I bet this issue could be resolved with some customization. Such a rig could also be a long term solution to storage. They come in a variety of sizes up to and including 12 x 16 feet. You can look at some pictures at Sheridan Canvas Tents & Custom Bags. I'm sure that a number of sporting good stores in your area carry them. Just a caveat in some cases the indicated price for these units does not include the frames which can add up to mayb $200.00. Lee
Lee Senn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:59 PM   #22

Trailer: Tent
I have not received a response from the ebay seller re: the cover. However, I found the same one for sale on the Casita Travel Trailer Forum, and that listing had the following for text.

Great dust cover and uv protection. Please realize a 17' SD is 13.6 ft long. This is for a camper that is 4 ft shorter. Probably lasts less than 2 yrs in the sun.

From the manu - This Elite Guard Camper Cover fits Campers up to 9'6" long. It is an economy camper cover made from a non-abrasive, spun-bond material that is thicker and stronger than other economy covers. The material is water repellent, breathable and UV treated for light outdoor use. It is completely breathable and treated for U.V. protection against the harmful effects of the sun and heat. There are strap and buckle attachments to help prevent billowing. The cover also has reinforced, elasticized corners with straps and buckles. A front and rear cinching system is also in place to help with loose fabric. Each cover comes with a FREE Storage Bag and a 1 YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY! The cover dimensions are 9'6"L x 7'W x 6'H. Suggested Retail Price: $89.99

I am guessing that the harsh New England winters do not qualify as "light outdoor use".

Mike
Old 11-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #23

Trailer: 74 Boler 13 ft / 97 Ford Aerostar
Registry
Hi, I thought I would throw in my two cents about winter storage. Here, we do not use the trailer in the winter, so it stays in storage from November till the snow goes in March/April. We keep it in our garage the rest of the year, when the van (TV) can be kept outside.

For the past two winters in northern Alberta, we have stored our Boler in our back yard under a lightweight 10 by 10 foot square "screen house" that we bought for about 50 bucks at a discount house. It is a gazebo with screens on all four sides. My wife is not crazy about the look in the yard, but it saves us about $400 in storage charges over a winter. It has metal poles that support the roof at the sides and from eight edge locations joining at the centre. We get significant cold (-40 degrees) and some snow (a few feet). Last year I brushed the snow off the roof once, but otherwise not a problem. I found that the roof poles at the edges were within an inch of the edges of the trailer, although the centre was plenty high enough, so I raised the house up off the ground with small pieces of 4 by 4 wood and staked it down securely like a tent with no floor. We had some winter storms but the house did not blow away or become deformed, and worked perfectly at keeping the trailer dry and free from snow. Our location is fairly windy, which helped to keep the snow off the sloped roof. Air circulation was great, so I did not have to worry about condensation as I would with a tight fitting cover.

This particular house has two movable side panels that I put on the windy sides, and two zippered entrance doors, one of which obviously went near the trailer door. As a bonus, it allowed me a dry area beside the trailer for entry when the ground outside was covered with snow. Our yard is quite sunny, but the tires were always in the shade because of the screens or panels, so UV was taken care of. Our hitch stuck out the front, and I covered it with a tarp. All in all, it worked out great, and I will get another one in a couple of years when this one gives up. We also use the screen house in the summer for its intended purpose at home, but not camping as it is too bulky to carry around.

Rick G in Edmonton

Rick G is offline   Reply With Quote