Canopy guy ropes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 AM   #1

Name: Duane
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
New Brunswick
Canopy guy ropes

Hi just thought I would pass this along. A number of years ago a seasoned camper saw me struggling with tent pegs pulling out of the ground every time a wind gust came along. She told me not to be so cheap and add a bungie to each rope on my canopy, then hook that to the pegs. Problem solved. The wind just stretches the bungie and it returns to the original position after the wind gust stops. I wasn't being cheap I was just not aware of the cure for my problem. Sometimes it helps to be told what to do ! Happy camping ! Hope I have helped someone today Duane
getaway1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Sounds like a good idea for light but variable wind conditions. Not all bungees are created equal. You need one with enough stretch to absorb the gust, but not enough to allow the poles to fall out.

You still have to gauge when it's time to take it down. Out here in the SW, a "wind gust" can be 60+ mph! It's one of the reasons I prefer a freestanding awning. If the worst happens unexpectedly, at least it won't damage the trailer. Most good freestanding awnings have flaps in the canopy to relieve light gusts.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:18 AM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
[QUOTE=Jon in AZ;587679 If the worst happens unexpectedly, at least it won't damage the trailer. Most good freestanding awnings have flaps in the canopy to relieve light gusts.[/QUOTE]

Don't count on it. Once attending a rally where we had a wind come up and there were many a freestanding canopy that went flying a long distance some hitting trailers & vehicles ... some of them where very heavy freestanding canopies as well.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:50 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Point well taken, Carol. No matter what type of awning you use, "set it and forget it" is asking for trouble. I have removed the canopy from mine more than once because we were going to be away from the site for a length of time and winds were uncertain.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
We're just now considering what to do about a canopy/awining. We once had a nice awning in a metal cary holder along the top of a one-ton camping van; it was very sturdy and didn't matter how heavy it was. We had a very sturdy pop-up canopy but our son took that; we've tried two "cheap" canopies this year and both seemed far too flimsy, so now we're looking at heavier-duty ones. The "Clam" (only a few models, only two colors, but with a LOT of features including lightweight AND sturdy, according to reports here on FGRV) and a EURMAX canopy tent...in the under $300 range. We're considering ways to weight whatever we get. I think we'll try some gallon milk jugs with the tops cut off but the handles still on. We can easily scoop sand, gravel, dirt, rocks, or pour water into them, using bungees to attach them. The tent pegs would work OK if you have the right ground for it, but would be useless on pavement or sand.

We have an awning railing on our amerigo, but don't know how to manage it at this point. And we'd be forced, then, to deploy it only right there, not necessarily over the campsite picnic table or at the beach, or whatever.

Thanks, all, for the topic and ideas!
Old 05-16-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
Originally Posted by getaway1 View Post
Hi just thought I would pass this along. A number of years ago a seasoned camper saw me struggling with tent pegs pulling out of the ground every time a wind gust came along. She told me not to be so cheap and add a bungie to each rope on my canopy, then hook that to the pegs. Problem solved. The wind just stretches the bungie and it returns to the original position after the wind gust stops. I wasn't being cheap I was just not aware of the cure for my problem. Sometimes it helps to be told what to do ! Happy camping ! Hope I have helped someone today Duane
Adding "bungie" cords is a good way. We use thin but strong cords that came with a VW Camper Side room tent. For pegs, we use the ones that look like big nails with a plastic hook on top. They're about a foot long.
I place them at a 45 degree angle out from the outer corners of the awning so they can resist winds from any direction. But, IF we expect stronger winds, I use two ropes at each corner, one to the side and one straight out.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:04 PM   #7

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Here is an idea that REALLY works. -- 18" long galvanized lag bolts screwed into the ground with a cordless drill instead of stakes. Use a spring type clip with one closed end that the lag bolt goes through to make it easy to take down whatever it is securing should there be a storm.
bsedwebt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #8

Registry
SERIOUS STAKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsedwebt View Post
Here is an idea that REALLY works. -- 18" long galvanized lag bolts screwed into the ground with a cordless drill instead of stakes. Use a spring type clip with one closed end that the lag bolt goes through to make it easy to take down whatever it is securing should there be a storm.

Now, that is some SERIOUS staking down!

Don't want to be a party pooper, but bet it doesn't work in sand.

Or asphalt or cement.

But otherwise--yeow! That's gotta be good!
Old 05-18-2016, 02:24 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I use pole steps... These are screwed and driven into power poles... I simply contacted local power co
And they gave me 4... They are sorted threaded and have a slight lip on end so the climbers boots wont slid off
( also galvanized )
I simply drive these into ground

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:58 PM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
I have run into places where it was, roots galore, rocks and stones, loose sand, It was difficult to pound in and sometimes worse to get out, in fact there a few stakes where I let the earth keep them. I thought of the milk jugs, but takes up to much room. Back in Nam I filled sand bags by the, god knows how many. If i got some sandbags I could fill them with dirt, rocks, gravel or whatever the site was. When done put the contents back just the way it was. You can buy sandbags on amazon for a whole range of prices. Gonna try it at least once. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
I have run into places where it was, roots galore, rocks and stones, loose sand, It was difficult to pound in and sometimes worse to get out, in fact there a few stakes where I let the earth keep them. I thought of the milk jugs, but takes up to much room. Back in Nam I filled sand bags by the, god knows how many. If i got some sandbags I could fill them with dirt, rocks, gravel or whatever the site was. When done put the contents back just the way it was. You can buy sandbags on amazon for a whole range of prices. Gonna try it at least once. Carl

Yes, that's it! Better solution than milk jugs...though hard to fill with water?
Absolutely. Thanks!