Can't get the wheel off!! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #21

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 13' Lil Bigfoot and Escape 15a
California
Any chance the axle is bolted to the frame, instead of welded?
Kevin Dawson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 04:41 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Looking
Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnlochbuie View Post
Do you have the jack under axel or under the frame if you put jack under the frame the axel will drop down more as you jack it up.
This^^^^
Old 07-03-2021, 04:51 PM   #23

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Perhaps some of you have not read posts 1, 4 and 5. Or looked at where the jack is sitting under the trailer in the picture. The OP said they have tried jacking it up in "multiple" ways. It's an old torsion axle. And it seems it is refusing to droop when lifted off the ground.
Old 07-04-2021, 10:58 AM   #24

Trailer: 1972 Boler American
Registry
Dealing with a stuck up trailing axle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Perhaps some of you have not read posts 1, 4 and 5. Or looked at where the jack is sitting under the trailer in the picture. The OP said they have tried jacking it up in "multiple" ways. It's an old torsion axle. And it seems it is refusing to droop when lifted off the ground.
I would suggest putting a chain over the axle where the wheel attaches. If I am not mistaken, the axle is a leading axle, (meaning the pivot is behind the wheel instead of in front.)..
You will have to initially jack up the trailer so you can get under it. USE JACKSTANDS or Large wooden pads for support your life may be at stake if the trailer falls. a concrete block can and will crumble if slight imperfections are present.
Second, Identify where the pivot of the wheel is located. Place one end of a 4" X 4" post directly under the torsion tube (the tube where the pivot point of the axle originates). Block the 4 x 4 up so it is contacting the torsion tube.
Third lift the unsupported end of the 4 x 4 until the post contacts the (moveable part) if the axle. (the part where the wheel and hub attach). Chain the post to the axle pivot arm as near to the centerline of the wheel. Obviously I want you to attempt to put weight on the axle to pull the axle down. you may have to get the trailer quite a way off the ground to accomplish this task. I have been trying to find a photo of the axle swap I did to give you a better idea of the work involved. Research before buying a 1new axle! I have an axle I will be selling along with tires mag wheels etc but it is for a converted trailer where the axle is reversed to be trailing link rather than leading link. If the axle is not built for a leading link configuration the tires will not last. They will cup and wear out to bald in less than 5000 miles That is why my axle is mounted trailing link.. I am now upgrading to 15" wheels with brakes as my boler has gotten fat from modifications.
Marty Smiltneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
OPer probably got it off, they haven't posted in a week.
Old 07-04-2021, 01:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRED SMAILES View Post
OPer probably got it off, they haven't posted in a week.
OP only has 2 posts. Last one was their last visit the same day as the first. They said they were going to replace the axle. /thread
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:29 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hey Roy
Glad to hear from you. Hope to see you in September in Niagara. Think about you every time there’s a severe weather posting north of us on the TV and the new to the area weather person points out
TRIP OH LEE.
Hi Dave,
Glad to hear you are all OK.

It took a while for this old mind to figure out what you were saying, now I get it.
September is a long way away in pandemic times. The next step in loosening restrictions here is slated for July 21. The same day the border is closed to.

Our vax rates are doing good, yours not so good. Who knows what will happen.
Our new boy is All American and we got him across the border during the closures. That is a story we will have to tell you in person.

Happy 4th!
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote