Can't seem to turn off the OPD valve on my propane tank - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2021, 07:33 PM   #1

Name: Rich
Trailer: Escape
United States
Registry
Can't seem to turn off the OPD valve on my propane tank

We have two 20 lb propane tanks on our Scamp but no automatic cutover. When one goes empty, we manually change over. We use the second tank for outdoor cooking on occasion, like tonight. After dinner tonight I went to disconnect the hose and could not budge the handle. The tank is in the full on position so I'm hesitant to just pop those hose off. Thoughts on how to deal with this? We are at a KOA tonight and they have propane service, so we can ask for help in the morning. Just curious if this is a common issue and if there is a hack to fixing it.
St Paul, MN
rpassmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 01:04 AM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
definitely want to close that tank valve before disconnecting... if its stuck full open, you might have to use a wrench on the valve. suggestion for the future, never jam any screw valve full open, turn it til its fully open, then turn it back a half turn.

i've had to replace two of those automatic failover regulators for not reliably failing, AND not indicating when they had. I used a Marshall-Excelsior (made-in-USA) replacement regulator, these have always worked perfectly for me. ah this one, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KPR9Q30 plus a couple suitable length 'pigtails', these are good quality, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005BNEVT2 but 12" is almost too long.

I avoid offbrand noname chinese propane stuff like the plague, there's no quality control.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 11:40 AM   #3

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
I've had one jamb so badly that the handle broke off. Used vice grippers on the stud and it started to grind off. Mine stuck closed.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 06:54 PM   #4

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
If you can get a strap wrench and wrap the strap around the valve. Then very slowly apply pressure to the end of the wrench. The even grip all the way around then valve handle may allow you to close it.
Worth a try. I’ve seen aluminum and brass valve wrenches often where a leak or an explosion is possible. Leave the really tough ones to the professionals.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 06:23 PM   #5

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Spend the extra $5 and swap the tank off. All fixed!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2021, 10:20 PM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszabo View Post
Spend the extra $5 and swap the tank off. All fixed!
They can't take the tank off when it is stuck open all the way. That would be extremely dangerous. Swap outs aren't always that good of an idea. Those companies take old tanks that are rusty and paint them to look new. I like to know what my tank has been through and how it has been treated.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 04:44 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
They can't take the tank off when it is stuck open all the way. That would be extremely dangerous. .
The valve on the tank will shut off the gas flow as soon as you remove the hose. To prove it to your self turn on the valve with no hose attached, nothing will happen.
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 05:12 PM   #8

Iowa
It’s sad when the original poster does not confirm whether or not he has solved the problem after multiple possible fixes are proposed. Doesn’t make an experienced person want to spend their time trying to help
��Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2021, 06:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
It’s sad when the original poster does not confirm whether or not he has solved the problem after multiple possible fixes are proposed. Doesn’t make an experienced person want to spend their time trying to help
��Iowa Dave

Iowa Dave
I totally agree… that is one of my biggest pet peeves
If you ask for help and get resolution… why not come back and share your solution
It may help others
I don’t get it
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 06:52 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Maybe the propane tank blew up?
Old 06-19-2021, 07:26 PM   #11

Iowa
Doubt it. In our litigious society we would all be being encouraged to sue someone’s pants off. Or my other theory is that somebody would have heard The Big Bang.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-19-2021, 07:32 PM   #12

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
��Iowa Dave
Yep!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:41 AM   #13

Name: Terry
Trailer: 1971 Hunter compact Jr, 1979 Terry 19', 2003 Scamp 16'
California
Try researching just how much impact one of these tanks can take. You will find a few sights in the industry which if you read through make very plane that it basically requires you take a sledge to the valve which is purposely shield or something equally unlikely. Then you find almost as many from ambulance chasers.
What you do find is where someone had a propane leak and blew up their rv, shop or home.
Terry in Fowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 04:52 AM   #14

United States
Registry
The original poster (me) used up all of his data plan and couldn't connect with Verizon to add more. But now it's a new month and I'm good to go. With respect to data anyway.

We are headed back to civilization today. Specifically Lancaster, PA. We plan to remove the tank and try to find a full service propane dealer or small trailer/RV shop to take a look at it. I'll update again when we know more.
St Paul, MN
Old 06-21-2021, 07:18 PM   #15

Name: Darrell
Trailer: Scamp Deluxe 16ft
Alabama
Breaking News thread starter is still with us. Good to read it's working out. If "tank" side I just get them swapped out. But only as nessary. RV side good call for a pro if unsure of self and still might be good if sure of self too.
Darrell in Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #16

United States
Registry
Okay, we finally landed in Lancaster, PA this week
and then I promptly drove to Atlanta, GA to pickup my daughter and help move her to Brooklyn, NY. Whew!

Meanwhile, my wife stopped in at Suburban Propane in Lancaster and dropped the tank off for them to take a look. I stopped in today and picked it up. Per the manager, "it opened right up, nothing wrong", no charge. Then as I was loading up a fellow came walking over from the back of the shop. He was the one who actually looked at it. He said yep, handle was stuck. He took a pair of channel locks and got it to close. Then he took the handle off and lubricated it. He couldn't see any problems and it works fine now. Whew (again)!

We will be careful to not crank it too far open. And I will add a pair of channel locks to my tool kit.
St Paul, MN
Old 06-24-2021, 04:32 PM   #17

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a pair of channel locks lives under the half back seat of my truck at all times, along with a 6-in-1 screwdriver, a extra heavy duty set of jumper cables, and my little ViAir compressor.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 06:35 PM   #18

Iowa
All those and a few more in the Escape And the Highlander. Jumpers and some tools in the Highlander channel locks in two sizes in the escape tool kit and two screwdrivers a full sized multiple bit from Escape and a ratcheting multiple bit stubby from Milwaukee tools. Milwaukee 12v inflator has helped me several times.
And as Donna D says. A good credit card at all times.
Good report, glad the tank was ok and you don’t have to buy new one.
Iowa Dave
Old 06-25-2021, 06:57 AM   #19

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
suggestion for the future, never jam any screw valve full open, turn it til its fully open, then turn it back a half turn.

Just wanted to remind members to never open your valves all the way, but when you feel resistance turn it back a half turn like John said.

I also don't close the valve tight as hell. Closed fairly tight has always worked for the past 50+ years.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane