Can't stop hose leak - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-05-2018, 05:06 AM   #21

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
"""I made sure the connections were free of dirt, then I tried replacing the washers several times (trying both rubber & vinyl), then I tightened the connections really well, then backed them off a bit after it was still leaking, then I stood on one foot facing East, then tried facing West, but none of that worked."""

You didn't have one blue sock and one yellow sock on. That would have done it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:25 PM   #22

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Pa View Post
"""I made sure the connections were free of dirt, then I tried replacing the washers several times (trying both rubber & vinyl), then I tightened the connections really well, then backed them off a bit after it was still leaking, then I stood on one foot facing East, then tried facing West, but none of that worked."""

You didn't have one blue sock and one yellow sock on. That would have done it. Carl

Thanks for the tip, Carl. I'll remember that for any future drip problems!
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #23

Name: Evelyn
Oregon Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markz View Post
Try some silicone thread tape and a pressure reducer even if you replace the city water inlet.

Thank you! I've always made sure to take care of both those important steps, but it's nice to be reminded. And, I find the older I get, the more I need those reminders.

Years ago I witnessed the water connection under a kitchen sink explode due to the campground's high water pressure. The campers hadn't installed a regulator, thinking it wasn't necessary. It did considerable damage to the poor guy's rig, not to mention shortening their vacation by a whole lot.
Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 01:58 PM   #24

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2010 Casita 17 'Spirit Deluxe
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Using a pair of channel locks to tighten the water connection is a sure way to bend the brass fitting causing it to leak
LHC sell a plastic fitting that goes over the brass fitting allowing you to tighten the hose connection without damaging the brass.
One of the first mods I did on our Casita after having to replace the city water connection on our old Scamp due to the P.O. using channeloks
As Steve says using a tool is a sure way to deform the fitting. During my camp host gig Iíve seen many folks using a massive pair of channel locks trying to tighten their hose connections. Iíve replaced many hose washers for campers, sometimes using 2, and advised to only hand tighten. 2 washers often does the trick.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote