Can't stop hose leak - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-01-2018, 10:04 PM   #1

Name: Evelyn
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot B17-DLX
Oregon Coast
Registry
Can't stop hose leak

I'm having a hard time stopping the water hose from dripping where it screws on to the connector on my trailer. I just installed a new white water hose, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I made sure the connections were free of dirt, then I tried replacing the washers several times (trying both rubber & vinyl), then I tightened the connections really well, then backed them off a bit after it was still leaking, then I stood on one foot facing East, then tried facing West, but none of that worked.

I then looked closely at the threaded brass receptor on the trailer where you screw in the water hose, & it appears that it's not exactly round anymore. Small wonder, given how many times it's been turned in 30 years. It seems reasonable after everything else I tried that this may be the culprit.

I tried using my adjustable wrench to very gently squeeze it back to a rounder shape, but no luck. And, since I'm currently staying on private property & the owners are paying for the water, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP.

So, I'm thinking it's the trailer connector that needs replacing, but in order to find another one, I need to know what it's called. And how big a job it is. Anyone here had this issue & can offer words of wisdom? Thank you!

Ev in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:22 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
City water inlet. Any RV supply will have them although it may not be an exact outside match to what you have. Replacing one is easy as long as you have decent access to the inside hose connection.

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 01:33 AM   #3

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ev in Oregon View Post
I'm having a hard time stopping the water hose from dripping where it screws on to the connector on my trailer. I just installed a new white water hose, so that shouldn't be the issue.

I made sure the connections were free of dirt, then I tried replacing the washers several times (trying both rubber & vinyl), then I tightened the connections really well, then backed them off a bit after it was still leaking, then I stood on one foot facing East, then tried facing West, but none of that worked.

I then looked closely at the threaded brass receptor on the trailer where you screw in the water hose, & it appears that it's not exactly round anymore. Small wonder, given how many times it's been turned in 30 years. It seems reasonable after everything else I tried that this may be the culprit.

I tried using my adjustable wrench to very gently squeeze it back to a rounder shape, but no luck. And, since I'm currently staying on private property & the owners are paying for the water, I'd like to get it fixed ASAP.

So, I'm thinking it's the trailer connector that needs replacing, but in order to find another one, I need to know what it's called. And how big a job it is. Anyone here had this issue & can offer words of wisdom? Thank you!
Posting a photo is always a big help. That way we can offer you a link to the closest match to what you have. It is very likely you will get an exact match for it since most of the vintage versions are still in production.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 07:49 AM   #4

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
You could try putting plumber's tape on the threads and see if that stops the leak. That way you can make the permanent repair at your leisure.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:02 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Using a pair of channel locks to tighten the water connection is a sure way to bend the brass fitting causing it to leak
LHC sell a plastic fitting that goes over the brass fitting allowing you to tighten the hose connection without damaging the brass.
One of the first mods I did on our Casita after having to replace the city water connection on our old Scamp due to the P.O. using channeloks
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:17 AM   #6

New Hampshire
I find that wearing a pair of rubber-coated work gloves instead of channel lock pliers and plumber's tape works 99% of the time when tightening hose connections to stop any leaks.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:22 AM   #7

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
A new gasket may help.
Check to see if your fresh water hose has stainless steel or brass ends.
The brass consistently seals better.
Either way, you could flat sand the end a little.

That all assumes that the seal is the problem.
Hoses sometimes leak at the crimp where the fitting attaches and hose replacement could be the only good solution.

Have you tried a different hose?

Be careful with a wrench, that could damage the fitting on the trailer or the hose.

You could try threading in a hard brass fitting like a brass pressure regulator which may actually conform and straighten the inlet.

The fitting on the trailer is readily available at your local RV dealer and can be referred to as a

"shore water inlet" or a "city water flange"
They are pretty cheap.

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
+10 that LHC plastic fitting is excellent, and a pair of pliers are going to deform/damage the brass fitting. Fresh gasket is always a good idea with any hose.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:53 AM   #9

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
This won't address and fix your current problem, but as I've aged my hands no longer have the grip they once did. I now use a flat non-slip jar opener to tighten the hose fitting to the trailer and the hose/regulator bib. Made a world of difference for me. Just about anything rubber would work. Maybe even a chunk of non-slip shelf liner or big rubber band wrapped around your fingers, whatever is handy.
Attached Thumbnails
~Capture.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:26 AM   #10

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
I use one of those plastic Y fittings on the Scamp end of the water hose. It gives me a water spigot on the outside, and it also allows me to grip it to tighten the connection by hand after turning the brass piece finger tight. It looks like this:
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 12:36 PM   #11

Oregon Coast
Registry
Thanks!

Thank you, everyone. Lots of great advice, as usual, so I'll be trying some of your suggestions.

I'll let you know what happens.

In the meantime, Happy 4th of July! And, be careful; we had a 10-acre fire just 2 miles down the road this morning that was caused by illegal fireworks.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:51 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
whats your water pressure? most of our outside spigots are connected BEFORE the pressure reducer to our house, so if I hook up a camper to one of these, I am sure to use my inline pressure reducer... otherwise I've had brand new hoses leak where the hose fitting joins the crimp on the rubber hose.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Pressur...ressure-40055/

I put this on the water spigot, then attach the hose to it...
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #13

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I use one of those plastic Y fittings on the Scamp end of the water hose. It gives me a water spigot on the outside, and it also allows me to grip it to tighten the connection by hand after turning the brass piece finger tight. It looks like this:
The "Y" that you show looks like solid brass, it would probably chase the threads and help shape the inlet to make it round again better than the standard end of a water hose.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:49 AM   #14

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
The "Y" that you show looks like solid brass, it would probably chase the threads and help shape the inlet to make it round again better than the standard end of a water hose.
I could not find a picture of a plastic one similar to mine. I bought it at the local hardware store years ago for a few bucks.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:58 AM   #15

New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul O. View Post
I could not find a picture of a plastic one similar to mine. I bought it at the local hardware store years ago for a few bucks.
Is this what you are talking about:
https://www.amazon.com/Hose-Connecto...splitter&psc=1
Old 07-03-2018, 08:59 AM   #16

Trailer: Bigfoot
Registry
Mine water inlet was leaking badly and wouldn't tighten up for love nor money. Quick stop to the RV parts store and I had a new one that matched 100% to the old one. Just take it off and bring it with you. Inside the fitting can be male or female pipe thread.
Doug Arthurs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 08:41 PM   #17

Oregon Coast
Registry
Quote:
Thank you, everyone. Lots of great advice, as usual, so I'll be trying some of your suggestions.

I'll let you know what happens.

After all else failed, I installed a new city water inlet assy and -- voila! -- 8 hrs. later, there's still no sign of a leak.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:05 PM   #18

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Try some silicone thread tape and a pressure reducer even if you replace the city water inlet.
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 11:18 PM   #19

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
a garden hose, the threads aren't the seal, its the tapered end of the male hose, into the washer into the flange behind the washer on the female end that make the seal. the threads just hold the joint together.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 02:46 AM   #20

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
After all else failed, I installed a new city water inlet assy and -- voila! -- 8 hrs. later, there's still no sign of a leak.
Perfect

Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote