Canvas awning leaking in rain...HELP!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2008, 05:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Hi Everyone,
I had a custom color matched vintage canvas awning made for my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe. They said to simply use a can of 3M Sctchguard. I did, and it rain pretty heavy, and it leaked. Has anyone tried any other products that are more effective, and they would not effect the color of my awning? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
"The Trillium King"
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 06:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Gee Dave, there must be something wrong!!!

I used to work outdoors on the Wet Coast of Canada and never used a raincoat, preferring instead to use normal jackets, lighter ones in warmer(??) climes and heavier in the monsoon season. All I ever did was once or twice a year give the clothes a good spray down (usually did 2 coats) with Scotch Guard!!!! LOL, MAYBE thats why my bones n joints are achin n creakin'!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 07:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Amway used to have their equivalent of Scotch Guard called Dri Fab and it worked well...don`t know if they still market it ....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2008, 08:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Amway used to have their equivalent of Scotch Guard called Dri Fab and it worked well...don`t know if they still market it ....Benny
Thanks Benny,
I am not sure if that will be good enough. I did find a product called "Canvak" from a Army Surplus Store. Not sure how good it would be.
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 08-27-2008, 09:20 PM   #5

Quote:
Gee Dave, there must be something wrong!!!

I used to work outdoors on the Wet Coast of Canada and never used a raincoat, preferring instead to use normal jackets, lighter ones in warmer(??) climes and heavier in the monsoon season. All I ever did was once or twice a year give the clothes a good spray down (usually did 2 coats) with Scotch Guard!!!! LOL, MAYBE thats why my bones n joints are achin n creakin'!!!!!
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 08-27-2008, 11:36 PM   #6

Trailer: 1994 Lil Bigfoot and 1967 Traveleze Royal Traveler
Quote:
Hi Everyone,
I had a custom color matched vintage canvas awning made for my 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe. They said to simply use a can of 3M Sctchguard. I did, and it rain pretty heavy, and it leaked. Has anyone tried any other products that are more effective, and they would not effect the color of my awning? Thanks!!!!!!!!!!

Dave
"The Trillium King"
I'm curious as to where it leaked. I spent many a dry night under untreated US Army canvas, not to mention horrible civilian canvas 'umbrella' tents, leak-free. I'm a little surprised you had a problem at all, Scotch-Guard or not.

Are there seams that need to be sealed? You should be able to do that without significantly affecting the colours, if at all. And if they used synthetic thread on cotton canvas, I expect that would wick water through the seam holes, whereas I'd expect natural fiber thread to seal the holes better.

Did you have the canvas pulled tight enough on the awning? Almost any close-weave cloth will keep rain out to some degree if it's pulled taut. But if it isn't taut, it will leak unless it is actually waterproof.

Is it really cotton canvas? Or a synthetic material that is less likely to be water-resistant?

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. (inquiring minds want to know. : ) )
Old 08-28-2008, 07:16 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Quote:
I'm curious as to where it leaked.
Are there seams that need to be sealed? You should be able to do that without significantly affecting the colours, if at all. And if they used synthetic thread on cotton canvas, I expect that would wick water through the seam holes, whereas I'd expect natural fiber thread to seal the holes better
Is it really cotton canvas?
They usually sell seam sealer in a tube with new tents. It dries clear.
As a kid, I was taught to never touch the inside of a canvas tent when it rains. It causes the material to wick through and drip. If it's pooling in one spot you can carry an extra tent pole and stick a soft rubber ball on top. Install it, by friction, to raise the centre and make the water drain to the outer edge.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #8

Quote:
I'm curious as to where it leaked. I spent many a dry night under untreated US Army canvas, not to mention horrible civilian canvas 'umbrella' tents, leak-free. I'm a little surprised you had a problem at all, Scotch-Guard or not.

Are there seams that need to be sealed? You should be able to do that without significantly affecting the colours, if at all. And if they used synthetic thread on cotton canvas, I expect that would wick water through the seam holes, whereas I'd expect natural fiber thread to seal the holes better.

Did you have the canvas pulled tight enough on the awning? Almost any close-weave cloth will keep rain out to some degree if it's pulled taut. But if it isn't taut, it will leak unless it is actually waterproof.

Is it really cotton canvas? Or a synthetic material that is less likely to be water-resistant?

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out. (inquiring minds want to know. : ) )
Hi,
Thanks for the reply. It is not army canvas. It is lighter. It is made out of cotton. You can only pull the awning so tight. There is a bite of slack, which create's a bit of a pocket when it rains. That "CanVak" says it is waterproof. Not sure how that would work.
Dave
"The Trillium King"
Old 08-28-2008, 09:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
I went to our local Tent and awning store, the guy there recommended a product called Cerfkote for canvas. I have not bought it yet, it was $40ish for about 4 litres.
brendadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:18 PM   #10

Quote:
I went to our local Tent and awning store, the guy there recommended a product called Cerfkote for canvas. I have not bought it yet, it was $40ish for about 4 litres.
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback. That "Canvak" is about $25.00. So the stuff you are talking about is not too far off. looks like I have 2 to decide on to try on my awning. I let erveryone know what I decide on, and out it works. Thanks again!
Dave
"The Trillium King"