Canvas top for a hunter compact jr. - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2020, 04:47 PM   #1

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
California
Canvas top for a hunter compact jr.

Does any one know what type of fabric is good for the canvass on a hunter compact jr. I know it needs to be water proof, mildew resistance,fade proof.
Thanks
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 08:37 PM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondor View Post
Does any one know what type of fabric is good for the canvass on a hunter compact jr. I know it needs to be water proof, mildew resistance,fade proof.
Thanks
The Sunbrella fabrics for awnings will work. I used their fabric called "Surlast" for my Campster popup. It has a urethane coating on the side of the fabric that faces to the inside. That coating makes it very much waterproof from any rain. You can't see the coating easily, you have to look at it closely. But you do have to pay attention to which side faces out when you fabricate the canvas top. Be sure you seal all the stitching lines and seams on the inside of the canvas top after you sew it. The same as you would with the rain fly on a tent or the seams on a tent.

The weight of the Surlast is just right, it is not too heavy compared to other Sunbrella products so it folds easily but it is very strong. I have had my popup section up most of the year for the last 3 years and it is doing great. No water coming in but in this cold rainy weather because it is waterproofed I do get some condensation on the inside surface of the fabric. At first I thought that was moisture coming in from the exterior but that was not the case. Just the normal condensation stuff that happens when you are in the trailer full time on cold and rainy days doing cooking and breathing. I just use a microfiber towel to dry it off on the inside in the morning.

Just a side note if I ever need to make a new canvas for the top I will then choose the color white because it lets a lot more light come inside. With the low ceilings these are not the brightest trailers on the road and the white fabric would help that issue considerably. I also would make the zippered opening section out of a good quality clear vinyl such as is used for the rear windows in convertible top cars for the same reason, more natural light coming into the trailer. You can always create a fabric panel that attaches with Velcro to put over those clear, zippered "windows" if you want to block out the light.

At some point in time soon I will create some panels of Reflextic to insulate the interior side of the canvas area for cool season camping during the night time so it does not get that condensation issue. I do like having the head height and I like leaving a little bit of open area at the top of on those zippered sections for fresh air exchange when it is raining outside and also for night time sleeping. But if it gets really cold such as in the 30s (or super windy) then I lower the popup when camping. But in this 40 and 50 degree night weather I usually leave the top up especially if I am heating with electricity using shore power at a park.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:00 AM   #3

Name: Doreen
Trailer: Hunter Compact Jr.
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
The Sunbrella fabrics for awnings will work. I used their fabric called "Surlast" for my Campster popup. It has a urethane coating on the side of the fabric that faces to the inside. That coating makes it very much waterproof from any rain. You can't see the coating easily, you have to look at it closely. But you do have to pay attention to which side faces out when you fabricate the canvas top. Be sure you seal all the stitching lines and seams on the inside of the canvas top after you sew it. The same as you would with the rain fly on a tent or the seams on a tent.

The weight of the Surlast is just right, it is not too heavy compared to other Sunbrella products so it folds easily but it is very strong. I have had my popup section up most of the year for the last 3 years and it is doing great. No water coming in but in this cold rainy weather because it is waterproofed I do get some condensation on the inside surface of the fabric. At first I thought that was moisture coming in from the exterior but that was not the case. Just the normal condensation stuff that happens when you are in the trailer full time on cold and rainy days doing cooking and breathing. I just use a microfiber towel to dry it off on the inside in the morning.

Just a side note if I ever need to make a new canvas for the top I will then choose the color white because it lets a lot more light come inside. With the low ceilings these are not the brightest trailers on the road and the white fabric would help that issue considerably. I also would make the zippered opening section out of a good quality clear vinyl such as is used for the rear windows in convertible top cars for the same reason, more natural light coming into the trailer. You can always create a fabric panel that attaches with Velcro to put over those clear, zippered "windows" if you want to block out the light.

At some point in time soon I will create some panels of Reflextic to insulate the interior side of the canvas area for cool season camping during the night time so it does not get that condensation issue. I do like having the head height and I like leaving a little bit of open area at the top of on those zippered sections for fresh air exchange when it is raining outside and also for night time sleeping. But if it gets really cold such as in the 30s (or super windy) then I lower the popup when camping. But in this 40 and 50 degree night weather I usually leave the top up especially if I am heating with electricity using shore power at a park.
Thank you for all the information this helps me a lot. What I plan on doing when I attach my the tent is use snap screws, which I purchased on the sailrite site. Attached the screws to the trailer top and bottom. On the canvas I will attach the snap this way I can remove the tent at any time. I am hoping this will work. Will keep you posted.
Dondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2020, 10:41 PM   #4

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondor View Post
Thank you for all the information this helps me a lot. What I plan on doing when I attach my the tent is use snap screws, which I purchased on the sailrite site. Attached the screws to the trailer top and bottom. On the canvas I will attach the snap this way I can remove the tent at any time. I am hoping this will work. Will keep you posted.
Velcro would be a better option, you will get less dust infiltration, the wind wont come in under the gaps between the snaps.

They do sell snap screws at hardware stores...
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote