cap- off propane gasline T connector? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2008, 03:45 PM   #1

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 2002 Ford Ranger 4WD Xcab
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Ford
Hi fellow campers,

After a long absence from this forum I am asking for advice about rehabilitating my circa 1977 13" Scamp. The body shop removed the old, beat and mostly not working "Trav'ler" 3-way fridge before repairing some fiberglass damage. From what I have been able to find out, "Elixer Industries" hasn't made these units in at least 25 years! I am left with a T-Connection which needs a cap - see picture. My question is, where can I go to find such a part? Are these things similar enough that Dometic would have one that fits? Or, are there other resources I can look into. Just not familiar enough w/ these fridge units or the propane gas line protocol. I hope to install a new 3-way fridge someday when $$$ allows so I'd rather not insert a straight-line instead of the T. I just want to be able to use my range top and heater. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
100_2827.jpg  
Ken Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 06:35 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler 1300 1979
Hi Ken

As far as I have read through researching your question, you can go to the hardware store and purchase am end cap that fits, use gasfitter tape (like a teflon plumbing tape) seal the end.

Testing

Before using a propane appliance, particularly if you have just connected a cylinder to it, check for leaks using the following method:

1. Make up a dish soap and water solution.
2. Turn the cylinder valve on with the appliance shut off.
3. Spread the soap and water solution over the hose and the connections with a paintbrush.
4. Any leaks will result in bubbles forming in the solution.
5. If a leak is indicated, shut off the cylinder valve.
6. Don't smoke while checking for leaks

Here is a picture I found in my travels

http://www.propane.tx.gov/safety/safeuncapped.html

HTH

Graeme
Graeme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 09:46 AM   #3

Trailer: Eggcamper 2007 ('Wolf's Lair')
The cap you need is available at Home Depot, Lowes and other big box hardware stores and maybe in a small hardware store nearby. Looks like you have a 3/8" flare type fitting there. The cap only costs a couple of bucks. Another possibility is to use an in-line splice in place of the tee that is there now.

One warning. Don't use tape on flare fittings. They seal by pressing against the tapered end of the fitting, not by an interference fit on the threads. If you have regular taper threads (aka NPT) then you use the teflon tape or pipe joint compound.

Be sure to test for leaks after you cap or replace the fitting. The soapy water test is good but for an even better test get a "gas sniffer". Camping World has them for about $25. The sniffer will find leaks that don't even show up with the soapy water.
Orlen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 11:01 AM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Hey, I didn't know they had these gas sniffer gizmos.. cool, adding it to my list.

Direct Link for the curious
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 08:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 1985 Scamp 13 ft / 2002 Ford Ranger 4WD Xcab
Send a message via Yahoo to Ken Ford
Hey, thanks for the replies. I'm glad it sounds like a cheap and easy fix. And, I'll be sure to test for leaks. Thansk for that info too.

Happy Trail(er)s!

Ken
Ken Ford is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane