Carefree Sidewinder 2 awning: Worth Saving? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #1

Name: James
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New Jersey
Carefree Sidewinder 2 awning: Worth Saving?

I have/had a carefree sidewinder 2 awning. The attachment point for one of the legs busted off (which I can repair), it is currently a real pain getting the legs/braces in and out of the housing. For those who have used the product, is that just the nature of this product? I imagine I can work on flexing it to become more manageable.

The fabric tore/dissolved so I tossed that (but have the measurements). Based on your experiences, before I take on another project, do you think it is worth the trouble of repairing? It may have to wait a year anyway (until I finish my self-performed home reno) but we are likely moving cross country next summer and am starting to purge anything that isn't making the trip.

With purchasing new fabric and having to do a repair is it worth it or should I just get something new? Thoughts?
junglejim83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Value judgements are something you'll have to make on your own no matter how many opinions you get.

I've never had an awning, it's just one more system to fail and I would rather use a stand alone on the rare occasion one is needed.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:35 PM   #3

New Jersey
I suppose the question needs more specificity...

Supposings I don't have to time to DIY anything with fabric, the new material and fabrication is going to cost me $200-300 with labor. How do the current options available in the $200-500 range compare in function to the sidewinder? Does it offer any significant advantages over a new low-mid end awning that I wouldn't be better off buying something new?

The practical feedback would be appreciated. However, I realize that many peoples' general recollection of (exposure to) the carefree sidewinder may be long past

Byron to your point, the judgment call will come in if it turns out that fixing the present one is a production and a worthwhile alternative is going to cost me a lot more. I generally lean toward simplicity too.

On my end, if it isn't attached to the camper, there is a good chance it will be forgotten in the inevitable mad dash to get on the road. And i generally like to pack less whenever possible, so I would probably go without if an attached option isn't the right fit.
Old 06-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
Cost benefit analysis

Agree this is a cost-benefit analysis. But variables weigh value of your time versus your wallet. Everyone is different.

Some here would swear I earn a commission, and I should, but I am a big fan of CLAM pop up screen rooms, for versatility, and protection from rain, sun, wind and bugs. They pop up much like an umbralla.

It is not an awning replacement, over your door frame, but rather a room, anywhere you want, next to camper, over picnic table or as a living room containing 4-6 chairs. Pitch it where the view is best. Older kids might sleep in it.

The 12' x 12' hexagonal weighs about 35 lbs, and fits your budget. A quality room over 140 sq. ft. for under $2 bucks a square foot. Hard to beat. Owners will tell you it is worth a bit extra. Shop around.

Consider some wind panels, and watch set-ups on YouTube.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 12:48 PM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: Newmar
Texas
Awning in a bag

You might think about the Awning in a bag. I just replaced my awning for $241 plus $9.89 shipping. It is Dometic A&E 11' Trim Line Bag Awning. You might want to explore this as an option as it includes all hardware, poles, etc.
Brockmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 07:49 AM   #6

New Jersey
Thanks Brock. That looks like a really good option. It seems like it has pretty positive reviews.

Tags
awning, vin