Carlisle tires - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-22-2015, 06:11 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Boler
Washington
Carlisle tires

Having never owned a trailer before I have a question. 1980 Boler Carlisle ST175-80-R13 tires. Sidewall states 50 PSI cold. When I brought the Boler home the tires were inflated to 35 lbs

Is this 50 lbs year round or are there times when it varies.
immrbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Carlisle insists that the tire be inflated to sidewall pressure in order to validate the warranty. Those are "C" class tires and should be just fine for your trailer. If you feel that your trailer is too light for "C" class tires then you could switch to "B" class next time and run them at the 35 pound sidewall pressure. Depending on the weight of your trailer that may actually be the correct choice. The correct tire , inflated properly will give the best service.
My 13Scamp is just a little heavy for the OEM "B"s, so we ran them tight until it was time to change, then we went with "C"s.
I have experienced my best service from Carlisle radials.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #3

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Which tires would you suggest to avoid (if there are any)? For what it's worth, I run DICO tires (from Scamp factory) at 50lbs. Have for the past 5-1/2 yrs with no problem. But I've never heard of DICO before or since!

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Carlisle insists that the tire be inflated to sidewall pressure in order to validate the warranty. Those are "C" class tires and should be just fine for your trailer. If you feel that your trailer is too light for "C" class tires then you could switch to "B" class next time and run them at the 35 pound sidewall pressure. Depending on the weight of your trailer that may actually be the correct choice. The correct tire , inflated properly will give the best service.
My 13Scamp is just a little heavy for the OEM "B"s, so we ran them tight until it was time to change, then we went with "C"s.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:20 AM   #4

Registry
I'm not sure that there are any tires which are so patently inferior as to preclude their use.
For instance, I would not use bias tires on my trailer since it sees a lot of highway miles. That does not mean that they don't have their place.
Some used to think that their carcasses are more inherently stable for long term storage, and since the tread seems to have a shorter lifespan, they might be good for sporatic use and short trips especially since they have a smaller purchase price.
I personally had trouble with Marathons, but only in that they would not hold air and I had to constantly add air...Still they are among the most popular of all brands.

So I guess the answer lies in getting the right rated tire and service it as required. I will continue to buy Carlisle RH Radials as long as I continue to get excellent service life and stable air pressures, or until someone produces a tire of demonstrably better life and quality.
Old 06-23-2015, 11:52 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Floyd, I haven't been able to find any "B" load rated tires for several years. Even Scamp has switched to "C" load rated tires on their 13' trailer.
Old 06-23-2015, 12:57 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Just to confirm, I looked at my tires again and they're "C" also. 2010 Scamp purchase date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Floyd, I haven't been able to find any "B" load rated tires for several years. Even Scamp has switched to "C" load rated tires on their 13' trailer.
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:04 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
I don't know what "even Scamp" means exactly but Load range B tires are still available.
This is in no way an endorsement but here is just one example...

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM3S030.html
Old 06-23-2015, 09:32 PM   #8

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
I don't know what "even Scamp" means exactly but Load range B tires are still available.
This is in no way an endorsement but here is just one example...

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...a/AM3S030.html

Maybe it's just in a radial tire "B" is not available.

FYI... I did call Scamp a few years ago when I was about to replace my tires and was told that Carlisle and Marathon were no longer available in load range "B". Kent told me to go to "C" at 50 psi.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:34 AM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Maybe it's just in a radial tire "B" is not available.

FYI... I did call Scamp a few years ago when I was about to replace my tires and was told that Carlisle and Marathon were no longer available in load range "B". Kent told me to go to "C" at 50 psi.
AFAIK...Scamp hasn't used Marathon for years and has never used Carlisle. I agree wholeheartedly with the decision to use "C" rated tires.
I'm sure there is not much demand for load range B tires anyway since the lightest RV trailer which uses at least a 13" wheel is at least borderline.
At any rate...this is far astray of my point.

Tags
tires