carpet removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-17-2006, 10:02 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 Burro
Hello
I recently removed the carpet in our Burro. The carpet that was in the back dinette area left quite a bit of glue and carpet on the wall. I have tried a scraper to remove the residue but have had limited success. Was wondering if anyone found an easier way?

I am also interested in finding an alternative product to cover the roof area. I thought that I once read that Gina D. used something besides carpet. So Gina if you see this could you please let me know what it was and how it was working for you?
Thank you all.
Jason L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Jason:

If you are talking about the center roof seam area, mine is covered with a strip of thin plywood wrapped in white vinyl with some foam padding between. About 4" wide, but that may vary with whenever the trailer was built.
Attached Thumbnails
Bathroom_exterior_1.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 1981 Burro
Thanks Per that looks real nice. My 81 Burro has a wider seam area. I think I could adapt something similar though. I would like to find something I could glue in place. I was able to remove the glue and carpet with a heat gun and metal stripper. I held the heat gun at an angle to the stripper and it worked like a hot knife. So now its time to find our interior theme. Thank you!
Jason L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 08:00 AM   #4

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
I realize this doesn't answer your question, but I put this replacement carpet up in my '81 Burro using contact cement. Didn't want to use carpet either, but after mulling over alternatives I decided carpeting would deal best with the compound curves of the ceiling.

By the way, I also found this brand new, left-over carpeting on the curb, in front of a home that just got new carpeting. Free is always good.
Attached Thumbnails
rear1.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 11:25 AM   #5

Registry
Jason:

You may find that the method used in mine does not apply as well when the strip is wider, so gluing it in place may be the way to go. Being a demon with electrician's fish tape for wiring I need the easy-off feature.

Myron:

That looks exceptionally good! Is that new cabinet doors/frames I spy? Whatever, it looks particularly good. Mine has the curved doors which will be a challenge to replicate in frame-and-panel wood.
Old 05-24-2006, 05:21 PM   #6

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Maybe I missed something...

Per, what holds your trim panel in place, if it's not glued and it's "easy off"?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #7

Registry
Brian:

Mysterious cosmic forces, of course.

Those cute little dimples in the picture are little plastic pop-on-and-off screwhead covers, so the strips are actually held up there with screws. When you unscrew the strips you will find little squares of 1/4" or so thick plywood (maybe 4x4"). On a slow day it takes me less than 2 minutes to remove the strips.

These wooden squares are held in place with something like Bondo, but since they do not show any signs of coming apart it is probably something a bit stronger. I would have fiberglassed them in place, but that's just me.

In mine the inner shell halves join the outer shell a few inches apart, giving it a recess with plenty of space for the wooden blocks and whatever wiring I decide to put in there. (Have I ridden the wiring part into the ground yet?).
Old 05-25-2006, 05:44 PM   #8

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Thanks, Per.

I don't see why the panel screwed into blocks wouldn't work for a wider area - it just might need two rows of fasteners.

As for the adhesive used for the blocks...
In my Boler the central ceiling-mounted light fixture was mounted to a similar plywood block. It was likely originally held with fiberglass resin, which may not have cured properly, and apparently fell down, leaving the block, fixture, and area of foam lining supported only by the lining and wires. A previous owner cut slits each side of the block and injected some adhesive, which was likely contruction panel glue. Somehow, they missed getting it behind the block and just gooped it all around, and someone followed that with silicone sealant, so I had to cut out the whole mess and start again.

In the end, I glued in a replacement plywood block with construction adhesive, and it has held just fine for the year it has been in place. As I recall, I used LePage Bulldog Grip PL 700 Tub & Shower Kit Adhesive, because it is a high-strength product designed to join plastics (such as fiberglass panels) to wood.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote