Carrying bikes: using hitch mounted rack - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2012, 02:42 PM   #1

Name: Dan
Trailer: popup currently, I feel dirty ;-)
Colorado
Carrying bikes: using hitch mounted rack

Looking for solutions to carrying our bikes. I already own a really nice hitch mount bike rack.

We tried using one of these to accommodate the trailer and our 2-bike rack, and it didn't work because the 2nd bike/bike tray hit the camper when we turned.
Multi-Use Ball Mount

but this one is different. Dual Hitch Extender & Other Dual Hitch Receivers - Harbor Freight Tools

If I used that one, would I just put my existing ball mount (something like this one) in the lower receiver?

Because that looks like it would have the effect of extending the trailer further back and would probably give me the clearance I'd need. And then I would have to get a second hitch pin to secure it (as my existing hitch pin would be to secure the adapter to the TV)?

Is there any downside or dangers to this? The 2 hitch pins is safe (somehow that makes me nervous)? Would it work, still tow fine? Am I missing something?
LurkerDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:16 PM   #2

Name: jim
Trailer: 2022 Escape19 pulled by 2014 Dodge Ram Hemi Sport
Pennsylvania
Registry
both of these will reduce you receiver's weight capacity, so if you are near it with the trailer you should not use one.
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #3

Colorado
thanks! I don't think I'm close to the weight capacity at all.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:39 AM   #4

Colorado
Not sure why my thread was merged with this one, sure there was some overlap but isn't that often the case? My question was fairly specific and is now buried at the bottom of someone else's thread. But whatever, I don't make the rules, I guess.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:08 PM   #5

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by LurkerDan View Post
Looking for solutions to carrying our bikes. I already own a really nice hitch mount bike rack.

We tried using one of these to accommodate the trailer and our 2-bike rack, and it didn't work because the 2nd bike/bike tray hit the camper when we turned.
Multi-Use Ball Mount

but this one is different. Dual Hitch Extender & Other Dual Hitch Receivers - Harbor Freight Tools

If I used that one, would I just put my existing ball mount (something like this one) in the lower receiver?

Because that looks like it would have the effect of extending the trailer further back and would probably give me the clearance I'd need. And then I would have to get a second hitch pin to secure it (as my existing hitch pin would be to secure the adapter to the TV)?

Is there any downside or dangers to this? The 2 hitch pins is safe (somehow that makes me nervous)? Would it work, still tow fine? Am I missing something?
Anyone have any ideas?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Hi, Dan. I hope somebody who has an answer for you will notice your question and speak up. (We tried merging this with the other thread on carrying bikes, but it seems like everyone over there is by-passing your question - so we're putting your question back in its own thread.) Good luck with it!! (And let us know if you figure it out!)
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
This is an old thread, but you may find it of value: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ack-34122.html
and there's this post, with pics: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post162937 post 3
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 10:21 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I modified a bike rack to use with that second type attachment so that it sets closer to the tow vehicle. I don't really like that setup though, am on my third rack, and have a rear mounted one on our Uhaul and a tongue mounted rack on our teardrop. When I get done with other modifications to the Uhaul I may design a tongue mount rack for it too. Those hitch extenders change the hitch capacity because of the leverage principal, it's not like having a longer tongue on the trailer because in that case the weight is still close to the vehicle.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 06:17 AM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
...........Those hitch extenders change the hitch capacity because of the leverage principal, it's not like having a longer tongue on the trailer because in that case the weight is still close to the vehicle.
Exactly. The longer the distance from the TV rear axle to the ball, the great tendency to sway, and the lower the vertical load (weight) capacity of the hitch.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #10

Colorado
Thanks Mary F (and other mods/admins)!

So I get that using that type of setup will change the hitch capacity because it does move the weight further back and will also increase possibility of sway, but I'm wondering how to evaluate that. I'm nowhere near the capacity of the hitch, so not sure if this is something to worry about. And I don't know whether that small amount of extension will drastically increase sway tendency or just a little. Because I don't have issues with sway right now.

Heck, I don't even know if this setup would actually extend the trailer back (it looks that way to me, but wondering if anyone has used it).
Old 08-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #11

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1993 Scamp 16ft.
Michigan
Hitch Extension

FYI- I extended my hitch at one point because I wanted to be able to open the back of the pickup without unhitching the trailer. In the process of backing up or a turn, I snapped 3 of the wires in the umbilical. Make sure you have plenty of slack or make sure you have plenty of crimp connectors. IMHO
dbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #12

Colorado
Ha, being able to fully open the tailgate of the truck would be one of the side benefits!

Thanks for the tip, there's enough wire for me to do this, but I'll make sure it's hanging freely, might not have thought of that.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:49 AM   #13

Trailer: 1978 Boler 1700
Princess Auto sold me just a small extn receiver with a mount built into it that I was able to bolt onto the trailer bumper and put my bike rack on the back of the trailer. Has worked good for over a year now.
Don N is offline   Reply With Quote