Carrying the generator and fuel.... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2006, 01:03 PM   #1

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
We are the proud owners of a new Honda eu2000i. Buying it was a hard decision because it cost more than the trailer but we coughed up the money and it's sitting in the living room being admired (seriously!).

So.....
How and where do you carry your generators?
How much fuel do you carry?
Where do you carry the fuel?

We bought a new 2 gallon Blitz plastic gas can with the new and improved "No spill" nozzle that spewed gass all over the generator when we tired to use it to fill the tank. We were not impressed.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:09 PM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Mine, which is smaller than yours, is kept in a tuperware rubermaid.. insert brand name here.. tub that has the rolled over lid edges. I can't smell the gas when it's in here and if there is a spill, it will be contained to the tub.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I have found with most of my gasoline-fueled stuff (lawn mower, weed trimmer, etc) that it is best to just pour directly from the can, ignoring the leaky nozzle. Two exceptions: vehicle fuel tanks need some sort of nozzle, and for the lawn tractor (lots of fuel, awkward filler location) I use a dispenser nozzle and hose setup (Flo N' Go, from Canadian Tire), which works reasonably well.

I don't have carry a generator with the Boler, so my experience is no help with transport, but something like the Flo N' Go might make refuelling the generator easier.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:38 PM   #4

Registry
Quote:
Mine, which is smaller than yours, is kept in a tuperware rubermaid.. insert brand name here.. tub that has the rolled over lid edges. I can't smell the gas when it's in here and if there is a spill, it will be contained to the tub.
Both the gas and generator in the tub? Do you carry them in the car or trailer?

Brian, Canadian Tire asks for a Canadian postal code which I do not have to view the item.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #5

Registry
No. Gas in car, Generator in trailer. It helps balance the weight if I take it.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:06 PM   #6

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp ('Dacha' Russian summer house) / 2006 Tacoma V6
My trailer is "off the grid" with a solar panel on top. My generator sits at home waiting for Armageddon. It will obsolete by that time-maybe I should sell it.
jim munson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM   #7

Registry
Jim, I don't think your solar panel will run my AC. That's my main reason for having it.

Solar is next on my "to get list" for winter camping when the AC can stay at home.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:28 PM   #8

Registry
I was considering bringing my generator to the Techachpi rally to run my swamp cooler, but.. we'll see.

Liz.. try m4s 2b8 for the postal code.

They kinda give you the answer
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM   #9

Registry
That was so blonde of me, thanks Gina! LOL!
Old 08-09-2006, 06:19 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...Brian, Canadian Tire asks for a Canadian postal code which I do not have to view the item.
Quote:
...Liz.. try m4s 2b8 for the postal code...
Sorry I missed that - once you enter one, it is automatically supplied on future vists, so I forgot that it was requested.

I hit the same thing with U.S. sites all the time, and usually put in 90210 (as in Beverly Hills), because it's a valid Zip code which I remember.

Here's a perhaps more useful link, with more options from the same manufacturer: Flo N' Go - Scepter Online Catalog. I'm using the "LE" version for my lawn tractor.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:28 PM   #11

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
We bought a new 2 gallon Blitz plastic gas can with the new and improved "No spill" nozzle that spewed gass all over the generator when we tired to use it to fill the tank. We were not impressed.

Thank the California Air Resources Board for the no spill nozzel. I think it was meant to eliminate fumes from the can being leaked into the atmosphere. I have spilled more gas in the last month just filling the ATVs that my grand kids ride when they visit than I have in all of my 65 years. I solved the problem when I was in Arizona 2 weeks ago. I bought 12 plastic fuel can nozzels at Wally World that are not spill proof.
Make sure you drain the fuel from your generator when it is not going to be used for an extended period or use fuel stabilizer if you don't you will be removing the carb and cleaning it as I had to before we went on our first trip in our 13' Burro last week.
For those of you that posted suggestions about silicone removal, thank you.
Now that I am back from camping I will try start the removal chore.

John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:30 AM   #12

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
We carry our Honda 2000 in a plastic tub with lid in the back of our Element. While we don't smell gas while traveling, occassionally we do when open the car in the morning, so I added some foam insulating tape around the lid to help keep the odors in.

The 2.5 gallon gas container is bungeed and cable locked to the top of the battery box on the Scamp. This location was selected after the "dragging gas container, people hollering at us" incident last year when I was using the space 'next' to the battery box and the container shifted and the bungees failed to hold it.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:06 PM   #13

Registry
John, I'm glad to know it's not just us having trouble with those dang nozzles. We are going on vacation next week to Wyoming, you can bet we will take your tip and look for regular nozzles out of state.

Patrick, I'll look for a tub to put the generator in that seems to be a good idea. The generator is sitting in my living room right now and I don't smell any fumes. When we get the tongue stuff layed out for real we'll try to fit the can into the plans.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:02 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Trillium Outback
Registry
I have found 2 containers that will hold a Honda 2K without wasting a lot of space. The smallest is the 18 Gallon Rubbermaid roughneck 18 GL Roughneck. The lid doesn't quite close but will with a deformed area where the handle is too high for the container. The 18 gallon has a recessed lid which is the reason for the fit problem. On the plus side it is of a pliable and tougher plastic.

There is a 22 gallon Rubbermaid container. It has a flat lid, but is of thinner, less flexible plastic. The lid will close with no problem and there is only an inch or two wasted space. It is not 22 Gallon latching lid tote container available at Sam's Club. Although it might fit. Here is theone I got Duratote

I carry generator and gas can in rear of pickup. I've carried gas in the rear of an suv before and never felt comfortable with it back there. If I were to carry a gas can in the rear of suv again I would put the gas can in a a container as some have suggested. Since I have several and a variety of manufacturer and size of containers in the back of my pickup it is effectively camoflaged in plain view. Turning either container upside down over the generator with exhaust end propped up provides an effective rain cover for the front panel electronics.

Curt
1998 K2500 Chevy Silverado 6.5 Turbo Diesel, 4X4, ext cab, short bed
Curtis F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:20 PM   #15

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
LizBeth; I would suggest using a Marine style gas can or a metal gas can. Either of these will be better suited and can handle the rigors of traveling all the time.

I have a Honda EU2000 and it is connected to a 3 gallon marine above deck gas can by Tempo. This design allows the external tank to feed the generator by vacuum as it runs. This gives me extended run time without having to refill the tank every day. I bought an extra fuel cap which allows me to use the generator without the external tank as well.

The Marine tank is thicker material and the vent in the fuel cap is design to prevent fuel from coming out when the tank is rocking back and forth such as in a small boat or vehicle/trailer moving. With my vent open, I can almost turn my tank completely on its side before fuel will leak out. When the vent is closed, the thicker material of the tank can better handle fuel expansion like a metal one.

The Marine above deck style tanks are designed to connect to an outboard motor by quick connect fittings like I have setup for my generator. I don't know if they make a marine tank for pouring fuel from one tank to another without modifying it.

Hope that helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Gen_Set___Gas_Bottle.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:30 PM   #16

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Here in Washington, I have seen nothing but the new style plastic fuel containers -- I don't like them because once they are full, you have to keep the nozzle up and it's more likely to have the cap knocked off (if you leave the nozzle inside, warmth causes the gas to expand and leak right out.

Consider using a siphon hose to get fuel out of the tow vehicle tank to a gas container and then pouring the excess back in the TV before heading home -- Not only transportation safety and comfort, but the gen will always be getting fresh fuel.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:54 PM   #17

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Hey Lizbeth,
Ever thought of getting a trailer for your trailer?
Old 08-12-2006, 11:48 AM   #18

Registry
Curt, Thanks for the tote info.

Kent, have you posted more info on you extended use set up? If you haven't start a new post with the info, if you have please provide a link. I'd love to know exactly how to set this up.

Pete, now there's a good idea.

Fred....you laugh but those are cool! Great for carrying BBQs, fire wood, messy stuff!

Brian, those Flo-n-goes are a nice product.
Old 08-12-2006, 10:45 PM   #19

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
So.....

[/quote]

I have 2 of these blitz cans. http://www.blitzusa.com/automotive/traditional.html 1 is a 2gal model the other is a 1 gal. A nice thing about the 1 gal is that you can just tip it up and fill it up as the Honda has just over 1 gal tank. Most of the time I'll only put 1 gal in the 2 gal can for the same simple fill. Its also nice to have the extra can in case you need it or you come across someone that needs it. If the noozle is screwed on correctly it shouldnt leak. Ive had these for a few years and ran all ove the US with no problems. I kepp them in the back of the truck. The Honda is in a Rubbermade bin without the lid. I have an old furniture blanket I use to hide it. I also have to old mudflaps from a truck found at a truck stop. One I place on the ground under the Honda the other I use to cover the Honda. Keeps it dry from rain and or dew. works. I use a Monster cable and Master lock to keep it mine while in use. If you poke around my photo album Im sure youll see a few pictures of the setup. Im not sure where, but I know they are there.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator