Casita Battery Charge Confusion - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #1

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
Casita Battery Charge Confusion

We picked up my new to me Casita and love it. We've brought our new baby home and have it cozy in its new spot. Now to my query: our '82 Burro needed a battery charger. We used the Battery Tender and were quite happy with it. We left it plugged in all the time it was parked with the clamps attached to the battery. The Burro does not charge the battery when the electrical cord is plugged in. It needed the battery tender or the charge from driving the car with the Burro hooked up.

The Casita is a 2015 - so considerably newer and more complex. Does it act like the Battery Tender if it is plugged into shore power or do I still need the battery charger? If not, I want to mail it to the new owner of the Burro.

The photo is of Bennie the Burro in the background - in his new home. In the foreground is Benjamin the Casita. They overnighted together and got along just fine.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3119.JPG  
Sue and Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:03 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
My 2013 Casita 17 ft SD has a battery charger built into the converter . My trailer is stored in my driveway and plugged into an outside GFCI receptacle. Once a week I turn the power on to the GFCI for 6 to 8 hours to recharge battery .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My 2013 Casita 17 ft SD has a battery charger built into the converter . My trailer is stored in my driveway and plugged into an outside GFCI receptacle. Once a week I turn the power on to the GFCI for 6 to 8 hours to recharge battery .
Okay. That sounds like it doesn't just cap off what is needed. The once a week solution will work. Thank you.
Old 03-19-2017, 03:00 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
Okay. That sounds like it doesn't just cap off what is needed. The once a week solution will work. Thank you.
Many people on the Casita website have swapped out the factory converter for a PD converter because the PD converter has a smart charger built into it . They contend that the Casita factory charger can cook the battery if left on at all times . I believe that Casita changed brands of their converter a while back , so your 2015 may not have this problem.. Hopefully Casita Greg will respond to your post , he is extremely knowledgeable about Casita converters..
My method works but it requires a good memory , and mine is slowly fading
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #5

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Many people on the Casita website have swapped out the factory converter for a PD converter because the PD converter has a smart charger built into it . They contend that the Casita factory charger can cook the battery if left on at all times . I believe that Casita changed brands of their converter a while back , so your 2015 may not have this problem.. Hopefully Casita Greg will respond to your post , he is extremely knowledgeable about Casita converters..
My method works but it requires a good memory , and mine is slowly fading
As is mine unfortunately.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:14 AM   #6

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue and Henry View Post
We picked up my new to me Casita and love it. We've brought our new baby home and have it cozy in its new spot. Now to my query: our '82 Burro needed a battery charger. We used the Battery Tender and were quite happy with it. We left it plugged in all the time it was parked with the clamps attached to the battery. The Burro does not charge the battery when the electrical cord is plugged in. It needed the battery tender or the charge from driving the car with the Burro hooked up.

The Casita is a 2015 - so considerably newer and more complex. Does it act like the Battery Tender if it is plugged into shore power or do I still need the battery charger? If not, I want to mail it to the new owner of the Burro.

The photo is of Bennie the Burro in the background - in his new home. In the foreground is Benjamin the Casita. They overnighted together and got along just fine.
Our 2007 Casita charges the battery when plugged in to shore power or when towing. We check the battery condition by testing it through the 12V TV plug in once in a while with our little plug in tester. If low we plug it in to shore power for a couple of days then we're good for several weeks when sitting for the winter.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:44 AM   #7

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
Our 2007 Casita charges the battery when plugged in to shore power or when towing. We check the battery condition by testing it through the 12V TV plug in once in a while with our little plug in tester. If low we plug it in to shore power for a couple of days then we're good for several weeks when sitting for the winter.
Thank you Jann. That was really what I was hoping to hear!
Old 03-20-2017, 11:20 AM   #8

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
Keep searching! If you can check the make and model number of your converter, we can tell you if its OK to plug in and leave plugged in all the time. My 2005 Casita did not have a smart charger so I had to add one. You "may" have a smart charger from the factory already - and would be OK to leave plugged in - but to fully verify please post the converter make/model.

Thanks!
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 03:42 PM   #9

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
I have a 2013 17' Spirit Deluxe. It cooked my battery because I left it plugged in all the time. I replaced the OEM charger with a PD. When parked for the winter I still don't leave the battery in the Casita, I put it on a Battery Minder.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 PM   #10

Name: Denise
Texas
I have a 2015 SD and the battery charges when plugged in. I use the battery cut-off kit installed at Little House Customs and turn it off when fully charged, then check the status once a month when not traveling. However, I live in South Texas, so there is no such thing as a "winter" and my battery has yet to drain when not in use.
wellduh326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:40 AM   #11
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
In storage I would disconnect the negative battery lead. This eliminates any parasitic drain from propane detectors etc. Then, use the battery tender you've been using. You've been happy with it, it's designed for the task and will use less electricity than the converter in the trailer. Further, I would only connect it for a day or two once a month. While leaving it plugged in all the time is convenient, it's not necessary. Do keep an eye on the water in the battery. Enjoy your new Casita and give my regards to Henry. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 11:25 AM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: Owner of a Casita Spirit Deluxe - 16 foot model
California
I was told by Larry at Little House Customs that indeed the battery charges when connected to shore power....as well as the towing vehicle. I just had my truck wired with a new 7-prong connector..........
brian05150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2015 Casita 17SD
Florida
We also have a 2015 17SD, purchased used last year. Yes, the converter (Parallax) will charge the battery, and yes, it will also overcharge the battery if left plugged in for extended periods. I replaced our battery last year, the original was well cooked. One solution is to get a smarter converter (Progressive Dynamics) although you can also prevent the problem by not leaving it plugged in all the time, or by disconnecting the battery (either a switch or manually disconnecting.)
DeBreez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:01 PM   #14

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
In storage I would disconnect the negative battery lead. This eliminates any parasitic drain from propane detectors etc. Then, use the battery tender you've been using. You've been happy with it, it's designed for the task and will use less electricity than the converter in the trailer. Further, I would only connect it for a day or two once a month. While leaving it plugged in all the time is convenient, it's not necessary. Do keep an eye on the water in the battery. Enjoy your new Casita and give my regards to Henry. Raz

Thanks Raz. Henry sends along a "wuff" back at you [emoji4] I think I'll follow that plan: 1st and 2nd of the month I'll charge.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:23 AM   #15

Name: Wild Bill
Texas
All timely comments as my 2015 17' LD converter just quit on me, and I just replaced it with a Progressive Dynamics 4635 - I'm back up and operating and we'll see if it works plugged in 24x7 or not (as we keep the fridge on, beer cool, and ready to go at a moment's notice).
hasbrookb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:53 AM   #16

Washington
Registry
Okay - now I'm just being stubbornly curious. Here are two photos. One is a shot of the battery from outside the opened protector door. The second is of the area under the double bed - the battery is outside that space. This one looks like water system to me. Where would a convertor - if I have one - be located?
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3133.jpg   IMG_3142.jpg  

Old 03-23-2017, 01:50 PM   #17

Name: Joe
Trailer: 2013 EggCamper & 2011 Silverado Reg Cab 4x4
Ohio
It's behind the metal cover that opens to access the fuses. The fuse panel is on top but if you unscrew the entire cover then you will see the converter on the bottom. You do have one.
2013 EggCamper #120

Joe's EggCamper Journal
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 03:40 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Sue and Henry.

The converter with the metal cover is just ahead of the door the water pump is behin.

That red plug in the battery cable line allows you to "unplug" the battery when it's in storage so parasitic loads can't drain your battery

Also something is mounted in the upper left corner that could be a shunt for a fancy battery monitor. That's where I put the shunt for mine

Joe
Joe Romas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 10:20 AM   #19

Washington
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Romas View Post
Sue and Henry.

The converter with the metal cover is just ahead of the door the water pump is behin.

That red plug in the battery cable line allows you to "unplug" the battery when it's in storage so parasitic loads can't drain your battery

Also something is mounted in the upper left corner that could be a shunt for a fancy battery monitor. That's where I put the shunt for mine

Joe
Thanks Joe! All three are great helps! Time to crawl around and check it out again ☺️
Old 01-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #20

Name: Leo
California
Battery at 12.1

My solar panel isn’t getting much sun because our casita is stored under some trees, checking the battery every day it is at 12.1. I’m thinking about plugging into my generator to boost the charge, we are back on the road 1/6/20. Any suggestions? Thanks
Leo v is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, casita