Casita battery charging while driving - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #61

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlD View Post
Raspy, You should specify a shrink tube with an inner melt wall or adhesive for water proof applications.
Absolutely, but so many connections inside a trailer are never going to be waterproof, such as around the converter, or one of the busses, or near any terminal strip. Conventional shrink tube adds strength and electrical insulation to the connection too. The point was that that solder/shrink tube connector looks like a failure waiting to happen if the wire gets overloaded. Otherwise, it seems OK unless the solder doesn't have much mechanical strength either.

Sometimes products seem to be designed to solve problems that don't exist.

You should have seen me making the splices on my well pump feed wires that live immersed continuously at about 70' below the water line, and are very hard to get to. Yikes!
Old 11-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #62

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I'm not a fan of the melting solder/shrink tube connectors. As mentioned earlier, a soldered splice starts with a good mechanical connection. I typically only use shrink splices where there is a possibility of moisture intrusion, which I believe was the OPs situation.

You are braver then me regarding the well. Mine is 260 feet down and I don't have the technology to pull it. If I did it I would use solder, melt wall shrink tube and then silicone seal the bejebers out of it! As my son always says 'Belt and suspenders'!

Tags
battery, casita, vin