Casita Battery Replacement - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2023, 09:46 AM   #41

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Thumbs up

I think you folks should loosen up a bit......do what you want....be happy....enjoy life.

You hear about the guy that was trying to install a calendar app on his laptop in his Casita......accidentally he installed a colander app.

It keeps draining his battery.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #42

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby123 View Post
The article you quote (which I posted here earlier) says LiFePO4 do not catch fire.

As for cheaper to stay with AGM... OK. I get that you like AGM. They are marginally cheaper than the low end of LiFEPo4 however only until you start looking at replacement costs. The charge / discharge cycles (life cycle) are radically different between the two battery types. I have had RVs since the 90s. I replaced my Lead Acid batteries many times. It is never fun, always costly, and usually required at an inconvenient time.

I truly don't care what you do, but as for me, it is LiFEPo4 from now on.
Thank you for the discussion.

My question is to add a LIFEP04 battery. Can someone swap from an AGM without having to do anything extra?
Can someone with low skills do this?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 10:43 AM   #43

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgilliam1955 View Post
Thank you for the discussion.

My question is to add a LIFEP04 battery. Can someone swap from an AGM without having to do anything extra?
Can someone with low skills do this?
Do you have solar?

If so, Eazy Peazy.

Depending on your camper's charger you may need to change it out. If you have a Progressive Dynamics charger just buy PD's Charge Wizard and plug it in. Also Eazy Peazy.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 12:46 PM   #44

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Do you have solar?

If so, Eazy Peazy.

Depending on your camper's charger you may need to change it out. If you have a Progressive Dynamics charger just buy PD's Charge Wizard and plug it in. Also Eazy Peazy.

Enjoy,

Perry
Thanks
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2023, 02:10 PM   #45

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp 1995 19'
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I'm not going to get all anal and waste my time on articles that you'll just debate, you have a habit of going on and on as you've done here, but the point of thermal runaway is in your Walking Solar link. According to the article, thermal runaway happens at 120C, and that happens when a nearby fire starts the LiFePO4 runaway, so it's certainly not zero. 120C is not that hot.

Enjoy,

Perry

You might bother reading the article.

3rd International Conference on Air Pollution and Environmental Engineering
IOP Conf. Series: Earth and Environmental Science631(2021) 012114
IOP Publishing
doi:10.1088/1755-1315/631/1/012114
more effective way, because thermal runaway of batteries will generate a large amount of heat, which
can cause significant changes in battery temperature. In this paper, the temperature changes of LiFePO4
batteries with 20, 60, and 200 Ah during thermal runaway under overcharge conditions are analyzed.
The work will contribute to the design of temperature detection and early warning of batteries.
2. Experiment
2.1. Battery Samples
Three kinds of LiFePO4/C batteries with 25Ah, 60Ah and 200Ah were taken as research objects, which
are shown in Figure 1. The rated voltage of all batteries is 3.2V.
Figure 1.Battery picture, (a) 25Ah, (b) 60Ah, (c) 200Ah
2.2. Experimantal Step
Firstly, batteries were charged to a fully charged state according to the recommended procedure of the
battery manufacturer, and left on hold for 12 h. Secondly, the thermocouples were tightly attached to
the middle position of the sides of batteries. Thirdly, batteries were overcharged at a rate of 1 C. The
highest charging voltage was set to 35 V. When the thermal runaway of batteries occurred, the charging
stopped. During the experiment, the battery surface temperature was recorded.

So yea, if you fully charge the battery, then apply 35 VOLTS to it to force an overcharge, then at 266 degrees F it will enter thermal runaway.

And that applies to you and ONLY you!

As Young Hermione said... "What an idiot!"

But hey, let's just throw the fear of thermal runaway into everyone's mind.
Old 05-24-2023, 10:59 AM   #46

Name: ash
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
Hey Amy,

I'm late to the party but hopefully my reply will help you visualize what we got going on. My GF has a 2010 Casita 17' and her battery was toast. She went to Costco and purchased the largest deep cycle AGM battery with the highest RC (reserve capacity) that would fit in the battery compartment. My costco only sells the Interstate batteries.

The thing weighs about 85lbs and I had to tweak the battery compartment a little bit in order to accommodate it. I did get rid of the battery disconnect switch and she insulated the battery compartment for colder nights and mornings. The battery terminals have wingnuts on top so it's easy enough to disconnect the POS or NEG terminals. However, that scenario is going to be few and are between for her.

We only boondock so having the largest capacity battery is critical to us. We chucked the microwave long time ago and use that precious space as a food pantry.

Last weekend she picked up a 100w solar panel at the Overland Expo West show in Flagstaff. After she picks up the battery charge controller and some 10awg wire for me from Amazon, I'll wire it up for her. This way, we can put the suitcase style solar panel on the ground facing the sun while we go ride our MTBs or go hiking.

Best of luck on your travels.
Attached Thumbnails
casita batt comp1.jpg   casita batt comp2.jpg  

casita batt comp3.jpg   casita solar.jpg  

casita solar_1.jpg  
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:35 PM   #47

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
I'm late to the party but hopefully my reply will help you visualize what we got going on. My GF has a 2010 Casita 17' and her battery was toast. She went to Costco and purchased the largest deep cycle AGM battery with the highest RC (reserve capacity) that would fit in the battery compartment. My costco only sells the Interstate batteries.
Series 27, 31 or larger? I was able to squeak a series 31 into our Casita.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2023, 08:58 AM   #48

Name: ash
Trailer: Casita
Arizona
It was similar to a 31 but had a group# that was different.

I found it disappointing that Casita used THHN residential/commercial building wires to connect to a 12vdc battery. [emoji849]
alia176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, casita