Casita cabinet and bathroom door locks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2020, 08:01 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Casita cabinet and bathroom door locks

Hi - I recently purchased a 2018 Casita Independence Deluxe. There is an overhead cabinet door, and one under the bench seat that will not fasten. The bathroom door does not latch either! Can I fix these items myself? If you have a fix, would you please share a picture or a link, as I need to see it to understand it. Thanks for your help. Amy
Old 03-02-2020, 10:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Unfortunately, Casita doesn't properly size the right push button latch mechanisms, at least as far as proper depth in the cabinet doors, (from the front of the push button to the actual latching point.) The biggest problem with the latches is they aren't tight in the bored hole "tube" portion that goes through the wood of the door and they wobble horrendously. I replaced all of my factory original push button latches with aftermarket, (read much better and beefier,) latch mechanisms from "Beetle Freak." The biggest problem is that the bezels around the latches that Casita installs are not properly sized, (too short,) for the thickness of the cabinet doors. Unless your latches are actually physically broken, you can just replace the bezel rings and cure the problem. If your latch mechanisms are broken, (i.e. broken mounting ears, etc.,) they also make much beefier replacement latches too. I replaced every one of the original Casita installed latches, bezels, knobs, etc, with upgrades from this outfit, and I haven't had one single problem with a cabinet latch since. Okay, I'll say it up front, they aren't cheap if you want to replace everything, but if the latches aren't broken, just buy the bezel rings. It'll go a long way to alleviating the crappy latch problem.
https://beetlefreak.com/product/casi...-matte-nickel/
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 07:24 AM   #3

Name: Carter
Trailer: Eco
Kansas
Interesting. I don't have a Casita, but I had intended to use that type of latch until I ran into a wall because all of them I found had a 15mm minimum depth. How deep are the doors on a Casita anyway? Those 13mm bezels from beetle freak *should* work with my 1/2 birch doors, I'm thinking.
Old 03-03-2020, 09:52 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The Casita cabinet doors, (aka MDF particle board,) are 1/2" thick as well, so they should work fine in your 1/2" Birch doors too.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 11:55 AM   #5

Trailer: Scamp 13 ft
Casita latches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Hi - I recently purchased a 2018 Casita Independence Deluxe. There is an overhead cabinet door, and one under the bench seat that will not fasten. The bathroom door does not latch either! Can I fix these items myself? If you have a fix, would you please share a picture or a link, as I need to see it to understand it. Thanks for your help. Amy
---------------------------------------------------------------

I think most people who have Scamps have the problem with doors also but because Scamp uses ' Cabinet door roller catches' as well as light weight hinges on the heavy composite doors. Some people change to home made light plywood doors and try to find heavier hinges. I usually carry extra hinges on long trips or rough roads because they vibrate apart so easily . And I use small bolts to hold them in place because Screws soon vibrate loose in composite doors. I also use extra catches or latches on each door, some that will take the weight of a heavy door. On the road I carry lengths of small diameter bungee cord which I loop around the door and drawer knobs to keep them from opening. I have a coat rack on the left just inside the entrance door , and have a loop of bungee hanging. As I exit I stretch it over to the closet door knob ; it lifts and holds that big door closed. I would say cost-cutting at the factories and deterioration of our roads makes this a common problem. David in Fresno and Sonora, CA.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 01:59 PM   #6

Florida
I guess I'll try to buy the part to fix them. Nothing is broken - yet. They just don't latch. Also - what should I do about the bathroom door? I cannot believe that does not latch either. Thanks! Amy
Old 03-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Contact Casita, they just upgraded their locks for the cupboards. Maybe you can buy them or perhaps they'll replace yours. Doesn't hurt to inquire.
I saw it in this video:
Old 03-04-2020, 07:33 PM   #8

Florida
Thank you!
Old 03-05-2020, 01:29 AM   #9

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if the screws are getting loose in the composite material you can coat the inside of the hole with superglue, let it cure then put the screw back in the hole. The superglue will hold the particle board particles together to give the screw threads something solid to grip into.

But don't put the screw into wet glue, remember the glue cures first and then you put the screw back in the hole.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Name: Royce
Trailer: Casita
Santa Rosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
I guess I'll try to buy the part to fix them. Nothing is broken - yet. They just don't latch. Also - what should I do about the bathroom door? I cannot believe that does not latch either. Thanks! Amy
Amy,

My 2008 Casita LD always arrived at destination with the kitchen drawer open. As you describe, it just wouldn't latch. The problem wasn't that the latch mechanism was worn, it's just not quite adequate... or the tolerances are just too close.

After some light reading on the forums, I tried a suggestion. A wooden match shoved down into the plastic trim around the drawer or cabinet hole, right above the latch. If you shove it all the way, it gets to the bottom and extends the edge by the width of the matchstick. In my case, just enough to give it a secure bite.

I have some new latches arriving today from Casita, because I do have some that are failing and I'm intrigued by the "upgrade"... $7.95 each, worth a shot.

No suggestions on the bathroom door, I have not examined that mechanism yet, as mine is latching fine. Some examination and ingenuity might help.. post pictures if you can!

Royce
Juggledude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita