Casita carpet....... Walls and Ceiling - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2008, 11:04 PM   #1

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Just bought a older Casita, Blue Shag........... So not styling! LOL....

So I am wondering if you have changed out the carpet and what you have used when remodeling your Casita as an alternative to the Blue Shag (or what ever color you started with) Do you have to use carpet? Or have you used other options? Any input on what you have done and what you used to create your walls and ceiling would be greatly welcome...... Thanks Robin

Pic's would also be really Welcome!
Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 05:01 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
GOOD FOR YOU!

Retro! I can see a totally 1960s-1970s theme here. Tie-dyed curtains, lava lamp, old poster of Big Brother and the Holding Company hanging on the bathroom door (snicker). I looked at a 1986 16' Casita that had the blue shag, almost bought it but the price was too high for the value.

My opinion... I'd live with it for at least this camping season. It might not be your taste in anyway, but camping season is on! You'd sleep in a tent even if it were the wrong color, right? I wonder if it could be dyed? Disguise rather than replace..... hummmm. Might be worth checking out. Maybe a flooring store would know.... Other than that, Scamp sells rat fur by the yard and I know Escape uses a headliner material (go look in your car) in their trailers. Headliner material comes in nearly every color of the rainbow. Anything is possible with enough time, money and effort, you just have to decide where that point is. I know I'd certainly look to disguise rather than replace... use the money to buy fuel to go places, use the time to camp, use the effort to make sure it's towable and to increase other creature comforts.

Now, where's the pictures?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:21 AM   #3

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
I agree with Donna D. How cute would a blue and yellow country theme be? I can see it now, cute little yellow curtains with blue and yellow tie backs and some quilted blue and yellow throw pillows. With the right covers on your cushions you have saved yourself a tremendous amount of work, aggravation, and money. Good luck! Terry R
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 06:23 AM   #4

Trailer: U-Haul VT16 1985
Robin,
I would definitely replace the blue shag with synthetic flooring (tiles of one-piece.) Carpets can never be really cleaned.
Ami P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 07:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Robin,
I would definitely replace the blue shag with synthetic flooring (tiles of one-piece.) Carpets can never be really cleaned.
Ami, the carpet is on the walls. I don't think tile would work there...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 AM   #6

Yeah Ami, Donna is right. It's on the walls and ceiling............ The floor has another nasty blue carpet. That is going for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will not camp with carpet on a floor. As you said, it's hard to get carpet clean, two seconds with Dh and the wienier dogs it's already got stuff tracked in. I think we are gonna pull it out this week. Have to decide on what type of flooring to put down. Something cleanable.

Donna and Terry, I know what I should do. Just not sure I want to wait. Donna, your right the retro thing would be cute. I told a friend before he walked into it yesterday to enjoy his "Trip" down memory lane. He looked at me like huh? When he came out he was laughing (he got it). I am thinking of checking out what a custom car guy could do with it. Just thought I would see what others have done to get more ideas. Also wanted to get some sort of direction for design so that when we put in new flooring I pick something that would go with the future revamp. The revamp won't get in the way of camping season. I know one thing the walls and ceiling are getting steamed clean this week, infact the whole trailer is getting a good scrubing. Robin
Old 06-03-2008, 10:17 AM   #7

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Robin!

Congratulations! I am glad you found a trailer after finding so many for others on this forum!
We don't have carpet on our walls, having a VT, but we have blue carpet on the floor. We turned it into a Southwestern theme. Except a few VW accents are finding their way into the trailer lately.

CindyL
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #8

Thanks Cindy! That's the problem, I was finding so many trailers out there, just not near us. But finally! Not what I wanted, but will get us back out there. And cheap enough to let it go, if something better comes along. Just seems like the newer ones are selling sooooooo fast. Within hours of being posted. And since none were within a few hours of us, I was finding they were sold before I could even get in the truck and on the road. I jumped at this one, again not new but a start. I would love to see pic's of your decor. sounds cute! Can't wait to get to the point of decorating it. Soon. Robin
Old 06-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #9

Trailer: 1999 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe ('Inn EggsIsle')
You gotta post a picture of this rig...............please
Old 06-03-2008, 11:52 AM   #10

Registry
Robin:

Our VT is an '86 too. For pix, check out this thread: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...2&hl=CindyL

Decorating is fun.

CindyL
Old 06-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #11

Bill, I will get some pic's today. And hopefully I can figure out how to post them......... It's something to see thats for sure! I will run over and take pic's here in a minute then see if I can get them to post.

Thanks Cindy, That's so cute! Love how the outside looks. Did you guys paint yours? It looks like brand new.

It cracked me up yesterday driving home from Glenwood. People just react to egg's............ Wave, etc. After stoping in Denver to show MIL, driving out of her subdivison two old guys sitting on a porch sipping cocktails raised their martini glass'es at us! It was a hoot! Can't wait till I have it looking good and see what the reactions are. They are all waving and thumb's up-ing a dirty Casita. Robin
Old 06-03-2008, 12:42 PM   #12

Registry
Robin:

The hubby cleaned the outside but repainted most of the details. Some is tape. We found some tent tape that was the right color and is holding up pretty well.

We had a couple of people who stopped by at our campground last weekend. They did not tour it, but they talked at length to us about getting one of their own. We always have the comment, "I didn't know UHaul rented trailers." I wonder how many UHaul dealerships get a phone call from the people who see us driving on the road and want to rent one.

CindyL
Old 06-03-2008, 01:32 PM   #13

LOL.......... Cindy, yours looks like new so I bet people do think it's something being rented out. How funny. U-haul gets a ton of calls after a weekend of you guys on the road........ . You need one of those "Not for hire/rent" signs like those big freight liner haulers have on their trucks that let people know it's a private truck. I would love to know if they do get calls. After enough calls they may just have to add to their fleet again. What a riot! Robin
Old 06-03-2008, 02:25 PM   #14
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:

So I am wondering if you have changed out the carpet and what you have used when remodeling your Casita as an alternative to the Blue Shag (or what ever color you started with) Do you have to use carpet? Or have you used other options? Any input on what you have done and what you used to create your walls and ceiling would be greatly welcome...... Thanks Robin

Robin, I searched +carpet +wall and found an old "Legacy Post" (which means the pictures are long since gone). It links to another thread which includes a reposting of instructions from Lanny Webb, who completely re-did the carpeting in (I think it was) an older Casita.

I'll keep looking for some pics to go with the explanations. The originals were lost in the big hack of Nov.2005.

Carpeting the Casita Interior, 13 Foot Casita
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 02:45 PM   #15

Registry
Robin:

I just read a web site that said that UHaul lost 17 million dollars on their fiberglass rental and that the big guys were so mad that they took all the CTs under production and dumped them into Lake Erie. There is supposed to be a picture on the wall at headquarters of the trailers with a comment about never making such a big mistake again.

We do have a sign on the tongue that says it is not property of UHaul. They also covered the large UHaul name on the outside with orange tape, although lots of things inside are still embossed with UHaul. We just put UHaul back on, using reflective tape. So you can see it even in the dark

CindyL
Old 06-03-2008, 03:03 PM   #16

Ok, here are some pic's...... None of the inside shag came out. But will run back over and re=take them a little later. These are two of the outside.

Name:   Casita_1.JPG
Views: 114
Size:  8.2 KB

and another!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Casita_2.JPG
Views:	26
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	13601

Thank You Mary for the link. That will be a great start! Thanks again, Bella

Ok Bill, heres the inside........................ LOL. The blue color dosen't come up over my cell phone, But I swear it's really blue! Robin

Name:   window1.JPG
Views: 137
Size:  17.3 KB
Old 06-05-2008, 12:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 1991 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Robin,
I own a '91 Casita SD that I completely gutted and refurbished in the spring of '05. My camper was in horrible shape, the floor was rotted and the carpeting on the walls was coming off and smelled like mildew. I researched every carpet manufacturer and the foam backed carpet that Casita uses in the new trailers is manufactured by Shaw Industries Carpet Co. My '91 fortunately did not have the blue designer shag, but had the beige foam backed variety. I contacted Shaw Ind. and I was informed that they only manufacture the foam backed carpet for Casita and no one else has it and they told me I would have to buy directly from Casita. I live fairly close to the plant in Rice Tx. so I went by there and they sold me as much carpet as I needed to recarpet the entire trailer front to back. Let me say that recarpeting the walls/ceiling was the hardest part of the refurb. I'm glad I did it, but I don"t think I would ever try it again! The carpet is very hard to cut and work with around the curves inside the trailer and I spent nearly $200 just for the 3M spray adhesive to glue the carpet on. But before I did anything, I scraped every last bit of glue/foam/carpet fibers from the fiberglass and I went to Lowes and purchased the foil faced bubble pack insulation and I covered the entire inside of the trailer with it and used heavy duty construction adhesives to glue the foil bubble pack insulation to the shell. This material not only reflects heat that comes through the fiberglass shell,but it provides a dead airspace between the fiberglass shell and the foam backed carpeting. Once done with the foil insulation I proceeded with the foam backed carpeting and let me tell you, I have probably the best insulated fiberglass trailer there is. I put a 10K BTU Frigidaire to replace the old Emerson unit and I can keep the temps inside the trailer during the day in the texas summer heat in the low 60's. In the winter, I set a small electric bathroom heater on the lowest setting and it keeps the trailer toasty warm. The reason I am stating this is to possibly help you out if you do decide to tackle the job of replacing the carpeting on the walls. Make no mistake, It is a HUGE undertaking if done properly and it is not something that can be done in a few hours. Also if you decide to do this please make sure if you are using any type of spray aerosol adhesive that you have proper ventilation and a respirator on, the fumes nearly overwhelmed me when working in the back of the Casita, I had windows open and a respirator and it was still overpowering. I don't want to scare you away from upgrading your Casita, just wanted to pass along some experience from my refurbishment.
Scott,H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:32 AM   #18

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Robin,

We bought a '84 Casita with burnt orange shag carpeting everywhere and I was convinced that it HAD TO GO!!! We realized it would be a really big job though, so we put it off and worked on other renovations first. Getting rid of the orange carpet on the floor and the dark brown cabinet doors really transformed our trailer, and we were surprised to discover that the carpeting on the walls that we once hated was now actually perfect for the trailer! So my advice is to wait before tackling this huge job... your other mods may change your mind about your blue carpeting.

Click image for larger version

Name:	casitafloor008b.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	13625

Scott, it sounds like you did a great job on your carpet replacement - I'd love to see photos of your "new" interior!

Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
casitafloor002b.jpg  
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 10:03 AM   #19

Scott, Thank You for your input. I was afraid it was going to be a big project but I like some of your ideas about extra insulation. I am sure it's going to be a mess. I am not hot on putting carpet back. I would love to come up with an alternative. I was thinking of talking to a custom car restorer and seeing what ideas he might have. But haven't gotten that far. Do you have pic's of your re-do?

Jeanne, Your's is soooooooo cute! I figured that other inprovements would help. But I hate carpet, cause it holds so much dirt. That's why I posted to see if there where others that came up with other options. I may just clean and wait and see. But I may get a wild hair and just go for it. Well see! Robin
Old 06-05-2008, 10:09 AM   #20

Trailer: 1973 16 ft Amerigo
Send a message via Yahoo to sherry loving o
Thumbs up

Quote:

I don't know how similiar your trailer is to the scamp but, I have a 13' Scamp that had old, ugly carpet in it. I just went to Lowe's and bought indoor/outdoor carpet and a pint of glue made for that paticular carpet and went for it . I pulled out the old stuff, sanded the floor and then did a good cleaning and it looks great. All for about $40. I was told you could put in a wood floor. ??? I wasn't sure how that would do in colder weather.
Good luck!
sherry loving o is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita