Casita Frame Modification - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2021, 09:42 AM   #1

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Casita Frame Modification

In the last few months, someone posted a pic. of how they extended the frame to make it longer so they could run with the tailgate lowered. It was not just a mod to move the jack, it actually extended the frame. I thought I saved the pic. but can't find it. If anyone happens to have the link to it, I would appreciate a copy of it. I want to be able to run with the tailgate down while carrying an atv. My former trailer had plenty of clearance but not the Casita. Thanks
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 06:32 AM   #2

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD
South Carolina
Jack-E-Up

I had the same problem with my 2004 Nissan Frontier and with my 2017 Toyota Tacoma. I couldn't let the tailgate down while hitched to the Casita. I found that a Jack-E-Up works very well when towing with either vehicle. It uses the existing 3 holes for the jack on the frame so no drilling or welding is needed. Once the trailer is sitting on the ball, the jack can be removed, with no tools, and placed in the bed of the truck or back of the tow vehicle. After doing this a few times I would say it adds 2-3 minutes to my hitch / unhitch time.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4476.jpg   IMG_4477.jpg  

BenBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 08:28 AM   #3

Texas
Thanks Ben. I will give it a closer look but I don't think it will do what I need. The problem is I carry my atv and it is has such a long wheel base that the rear wheels sit on the tailgate. Not sure how you would hitch it with the bike loaded since the tailgate will cover the Jack-E Up both while hitching and unhitching if i am looking at it correctly. Am I wrong? I am wondering if maybe I could just do away with the jack and maybe use a small floor jack or one that fits on the side of the frame. The tongue on the Casita is so much shorter than the previous trailer. It looks as if with the tailgate down, the gate might even make contact with the propane tanks when turning. Your second pic. looks as if a dropped hitch might give some clearance if I can keep the trailer lever.
Old 07-13-2021, 09:49 AM   #4

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jack E Up won't work for Dick. At one time Orbital Machine (OMW) made a tongue extension for Casitas that was a real elaborate piece, expensive too as I recall. I know others have either built their own tongue extension or had a welding shop do it, so a search may find something. Don't use a hitch extender that goes in the truck's receiver as they reduce it's capacity (think leverage principal).
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Name: John
Trailer: 17' Casita
Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
At one time Orbital Machine (OMW) made a tongue extension for Casitas that was a real elaborate piece, expensive too as I recall.
That is the one. Very heavy. $$$$. Approved by ABS & USCG for Arctic ice
Attached Thumbnails
9b_resize.JPG.f38c7e629375f43ce8b0954bdf60b136.jpeg.3c74767bdd76b17b75ce2ab48874007f.jpg   20200805_115221.jpg.4d86b10cdd08add031bb998c8aae7fd2.jpg  

post-22598-0-41442900-1405863225_thumb.jpg.c5dc146d392b74ed1aca167d6b90b485.jpg   post-22598-0-50111200-1405863236_thumb.jpg.41838f5a45ffc2908ceff9f04e0bdd00.jpg  

New Orleans John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 11:11 AM   #6

Texas
I have not seen this one but sort of what I had in mind. I pulled a 25' Airstream for 6 years with a 12" receiver extension without one problem in order for the gate to clean, but I also used a weight dist. hitch. I still have the hitch but the propane tanks are in the way for the sway bars to bolt to the frame so will have to make some changes in order to use it. As of now, I can't tell if the little friction sway bar does any good or not. It's not a problem that money won't fix...
Old 07-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #7

Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
The problem is I carry my atv and it is has such a long wheel base that the rear wheels sit on the tailgate.
There you go !
Attached Thumbnails
92u.jpg   92u2.jpg  

182j37.jpg  
Old 07-13-2021, 11:20 AM   #8

Texas
Yep! Problem solved...

One Casita owner posted a pic. of his atv on an 5' x 8' Aluma aluminum trailer hooked to a Orbital Machine Works hitch. Swore it was no problem except what you would expect backing, etc. Tempting! Several states allow triple towing. Just wouldn't want to do it with the Casita unless the frame was also reinforced.
Old 07-13-2021, 11:41 AM   #9

Louisiana
Quote:
Just wouldn't want to do it with the Casita unless the frame was also reinforced.
Right. The frame is way too light.

Tongue Lengthening:

Old 07-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #10

Name: Ben
Trailer: Casita SD
South Carolina
dmad1, you are correct about my pictures in post #2. The Jack-E-Up allows me to load and unload the truck while I am parked. That would be a folding table, a solar panel or a generator, nothing large like a motorcycle or ATV. I would not try to tow with my tailgate down. The angles of the ramps into gas stations and parking lots would definitely let the tailgate rub or bind. It comes in handy for me when boondocking or stopped at a rest area or walmart and need to get something out of the truck while still hitched.
I also have an ARE bed cover that has locking, flip up long windows so I can get to most stuff from the sides instead of the rear.
Good luck with your extension!
Ben
BenBark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 07:50 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Quote:
In the last few months, someone posted a pic. of how they extended the frame to make it longer so they could run with the tailgate lowered. It was not just a mod to move the jack, it actually extended the frame. I thought I saved the pic. but can't find it. If anyone happens to have the link to it, I would appreciate a copy of it. I want to be able to run with the tailgate down while carrying an atv. My former trailer had plenty of clearance but not the Casita. Thanks
Easier to buy a longer stringer - in short 3" longer than a standard one for your WDH.
I used one on a prior own Casita. Still using it on my F-150 coupled to a 19" Escape.
JOHN BUSCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 09:48 PM   #12

Texas
Thanks to everyone for their input and especially the videos. Really good info here.
Old 07-17-2021, 04:27 PM   #13

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
Casita Frame Extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenBark View Post
I had the same problem with my 2004 Nissan Frontier and with my 2017 Toyota Tacoma. I couldn't let the tailgate down while hitched to the Casita. I found that a Jack-E-Up works very well when towing with either vehicle. It uses the existing 3 holes for the jack on the frame so no drilling or welding is needed. Once the trailer is sitting on the ball, the jack can be removed, with no tools, and placed in the bed of the truck or back of the tow vehicle. After doing this a few times I would say it adds 2-3 minutes to my hitch / unhitch time.
Little House Customs carries a similar jack system. Looks like that is the cheapest and least evasive way to go.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2021, 01:24 PM   #14

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Towing with tailgate down - jacknife?

Towing with the tailgate down you will run the risk of gouging the front of the Casita with the corner of the tailgate if you haven't measured correctly. Not to mention damaging and expensive tailgate.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita