Casita hot water tank replacement, mechanics, and dinette bench removal - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2021, 09:25 PM   #1

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Casita hot water tank replacement, mechanics, and dinette bench removal

Hello,

We have an older Casita ('99), and it seems our hot water tank is ready to be replaced.

I've asked a similar question before, but does anyone know a good RV mechanic in Western North Carolina (near Asheville), Charlotte, NC, Greenville/Spartanburg, South Carolina area or Eastern Tennessee that they would recommend for this type of work? (per previous threads, I'd prefer to avoid Camping World if at all possible)

Since multiple components are under the same molded fiberglass dinette bench, would you recommend replacing the water pump or do anything with power unit while the bench is removed?

The (exterior facing) hot water heater is also showing its age .. would you replace that at the same time? (maybe it MUST be done whenever a new tank goes in?)

Related, has anyone had experience removing the molded fiberglass bench? My young son and I started to remove it, but not sure how to "disengage" the power unit from the molded bench and the (white) power cables do not seem long enough to leave it as is. I will also check on youtube, but any experience you may have is appreciated.

Thank you in advance for the help.
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 09:28 AM   #2

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
The heater and the tank are all one piece. It's fairly easy to take out by disconnecting the water and electrical supplies, drilling out the rivets surround the outside door and pulling it straight out. Installing it is the reverse. Some of that will depend on if you have just LP or LP and electric heating elements.

The power supply on my Casita is under the seat pedestal rather than the bed. But All it would take is to disconnect and label the wires connecting it to the battery and the shore power and pull it out. You know almost all the screws in the Casita are square drive, right?

Hope this is helpful.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 AM   #3

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
The biggest fight you're gonna have will be removing the 3 gallons or so of silicone sealant around it that the factory uses copiously to goop it in place. And if you are gonna change it out, if it were me, I'd opt to upgrade to the DSI, (Direct Spark Ignition,) model. Just my 2 cents.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 03:06 PM   #4

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The biggest fight you're gonna have will be removing the 3 gallons or so of silicone sealant around it that the factory uses copiously to goop it in place. And if you are gonna change it out, if it were me, I'd opt to upgrade to the DSI, (Direct Spark Ignition,) model. Just my 2 cents.
I don't seem to remember there being a huge Silicone problem. Maybe that's on newer Casitas. I would tackle that with a long sharp blade after the rivets are out.

Upgrading to DSI is a good idea. The extra new wiring might present a challenge to some. I don't miss crouching outside igniting the pilot in bad weather.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita