Casita in the Elements - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #1

Name: Amy
Trailer: Casita Independence Deluxe 17
Florida
Casita in the Elements

Hi - I bought a used Casita 17 Independence Deluxe a few months ago. My friends have allowed me to park it on their property until I can get a place to house it. I live in FL, near the East Coast. Is it ok to leave it outside with no cover? If not, what do:you suggest? How about covering the tires? I am a teacher, and spent my savings on the Casita. I need a low-cost solution. Thanks! Amy (Going to Ft. Clinch for a few days this month. Super hot summer!)
Old 07-09-2020, 11:42 AM   #2

Name: Allen
Trailer: in the market
Quebec
Always remember to vent the unit as temperatures in the cabin will get excessive. I always use an odor absorber as well to keep it a happy place.
Enjoy your new camper in good health.
thekas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
A Casita is kind of like a boat. It's made the same way as a fiberglass boat and, therefore, can be left out in the elements just like a boat. Cosmetically it would be better covered. That would limit things like gelcoat degradation, tree sap, bird poop, etc. Considering that the ultraviolet rays are much less intense in Florida than say New Mexico, you don't have to worry so much about the gelcoat. I have a 1993 that's never been covered and still looks good considering it's age. I will have to replace the curtains which have finally begun to break down from UV exposure in Texas. So ... short answer ... your Casita is made to be outdoors and, barring extremes like hurricanes, it should be fine with a good cleaning once in a while. Good luck!
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:12 PM   #4

Florida
Thanks! I do put a damp rid in there. I guess I’ll crack a window. We have a lot of rain in the summer, so it is tricky. Nice to know it is ok without a shelter. :-)
Old 07-09-2020, 05:55 PM   #5

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyFL View Post
Thanks! I do put a damp rid in there. I guess I’ll crack a window. We have a lot of rain in the summer, so it is tricky. Nice to know it is ok without a shelter. :-)
Do not crack a window. If it rains it will get in and ruin the interior. Get a vent cover and leave the vent open a little. If you can't put the vent cover on have someone do it for you. They are easy to do it you have a drill and are mechanical. Less chance of water getting in. You could put a piece of plastic on the floor under the vent with a throw rug on the plastic in case the wind blew hard and a little came in but on the walls would be much worse. When it blows in from the vent it doesn't pour in like in a window just blows some mist usually and doesn't even get the ceiling wet. Put a cover on the tires and bungee on in case of wind. Tire covers are known to fly off. When outside we put the tire covers on and put the bungee around the center to hold them. To protect curtains and upholstery you can hang bath towels over the windows by clipping to the curtains if any on the window side or to the blinds on the window side. We do this to help keep heat out also. It doesn't cost much to do any of this.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:33 PM   #6

Florida
Thanks. I did not know there was such a thing as a vent cover. I will do this!
Old 07-09-2020, 08:03 PM   #7

Name: Lisa
Trailer: 1992 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Quote:
I have one on my 2017 Independence, it's great. Mine covers a Fantastic Fan.

I wonder if your 2018 Indy has the newer MaxxAir fan that has that vent cover built in?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:00 PM   #8

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:

Camco makes one the item number is 94931 and the one by Maxxair is 1733. These are at Camping World but there are other stores that carry them. We've used them on all our RV's and love them. You can keep the vent up a little and let heat out plus it is safer than having a window open for critters or people to get in if you are gone. We turned on our vent fan when we had our cat and it kept her comfortable and safe. You can drive with your vent up some to keep heat from building up without the fear of the vent lid from flying off. It also is good to have that extra layer of protection in a hail storm. Some of them are hail resistant.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 05:38 AM   #9

Name: Biker
Trailer: 2018 Bigfoot 21' 25B21FB (PREV: Casita 17' Spirit Deluxe)
North Carolina
Maybe I’m overlooking something, but I leave the small window in the wet bath of our Casita about half open and also prop the bathroom door open when it’s parked at home. (The rain protected ceiling vent is also left cracked open.)

I figure if it rains it doesn’t really hurt anything in the wet bath if some water makes it way through the small opening.

I’m sure others will comment if there are any concerns around this.

Hope you enjoy your camper!
biker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:21 AM   #10

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Blue Tarp seems the obvious choice for Florida!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 11:13 AM   #11

Name: T
Trailer: Designing and building
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Blue Tarp seems the obvious choice for Florida!
Ahhhh, so you've been here?

303 Protectant for all rubber, plastic, and gelcoat surfaces, including door/window/hatch seals.

Tire covers, as previously suggested.

Closer than fifteen miles to salt water? Do something to rustproof the steel.
Thomcat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 06:23 AM   #12

Name: todd
Trailer: Casita liberty deluxe 17
New York
Congrats on your camper

I had a rpod for a short time that I used for my casita, it was relatively inexpensive but as you are in florida there could be more uv exposure than up in ny. The rpod was a bit bigger so it covered the camper completely. If there is no cover, Definitely cover your tires
tmaken2157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:02 AM   #13

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Casita in the Elements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomcat316 View Post
Ahhhh, so you've been here?

303 Protectant for all rubber, plastic, and gelcoat surfaces, including door/window/hatch seals.

Tire covers, as previously suggested.

Closer than fifteen miles to salt water? Do something to rustproof the steel.
Stored in Palm Beach [emoji907]

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0583.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	136084
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0584.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	232.5 KB
ID:	136085
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote