Casita Rivet question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2022, 11:35 AM   #1

Name: Jack
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Virginia
Casita Rivet question

I have replaced two rivets on my Casita. My question is, my rivet gun, does not pop off the stem of the rivet? I use wire cutters to cut it ogg.
What am I doing wrong?
jgilliam1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 04:37 PM   #2

Name: Jonathan
Trailer: ex-Casita, now Alto R series
Massachusetts
Second (or third) grip?

I haven't seen one yet that doesn't pull the stem apart, provided the rivet has been pulled tight enough that the tensile strength of the stem is exceeded. And that's the trick, pulling the head far enough into the 'blind' side to fully wedge the barrel open and assure tightness.
My puller almost always requires two, and quite often three release and re-grip movements to pull enough stem length to complete the squeeze between the 'washer' on the exposed side and the expanding barrel that is hidden.
Try it next time. Press the rivet in the material as far as it will go. Press the puller onto the rivet stem through the center of the 'washer' as far as it will go. Squeeze the puller handle to pull some stem. Release the puller. Press it back onto the rivet 'washer' and squeeze the handle again.

I just replaced the rivets for the awning feet on the side of the Casita. Dummy me tried to reduce wind exposure by winding the awning in while the feet were in the trailer's side. I got so far and then the nearly vertical leg pried the foot holder out.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:10 PM   #3

Virginia
Thanks, I was not doing this completely. My corner rivet broke on the top corner roof area near the front door & microwave. So I will be replacing this very soon.
Old 10-03-2022, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Found this....maybe will help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...0PEPveWZoA0_46
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:26 PM   #5

Virginia
Just what I needed. Thanks
Old 10-03-2022, 02:46 PM   #6

Name: Douglas
Trailer: Casita SD 16
Maine
I understand the technique of riveting a Casita. It would be very helpful to have a chart of the lengths of rivets best used for specific areas on the Casita. Is there one available or are you just using a longish rivet and then capping it with an acorn nut?
macbethdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #7

Virginia
I agree wish there was a chart. I bought two bags of Rivets & caps from Casita. I push a rivet in use, my best guess. I do use an acorn nut.
Old 10-08-2022, 10:42 AM   #8

Name: Stephen
Trailer: Casita
Tennessee
Exclamation Another Perspective

Rivet failure will not occur unless your entire shell structure is being over-stressed (windows, doors, tanks, et al).
I suggest you first review past operations for potential overloads. Casitas are only strong enough for operation on improved roads.
The first place to look for weakness is in the frame which often rusts from the inside out, particularly at the welded joints. Any defects need to be fixed BEFORE replacing rivets to avoid guarenteed repeat failures.
Stephen_Albers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 11:51 AM   #9

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Alternative (temporary?) to Pop-Rivet

In lieu of carrying a pop-rivet tool, on the road I carry a couple of standard ¼” x 20 bolts in my spare parts kit. In a pinch I have found that the ¼” x 20 bolt is compatible with the threaded acorn nuts that Casita uses.

For a temporary fix, that avoids the need for a two-person team to implement a replacement pop-rivet permanent fix.

For a permanent fix, naturally, the trick is to get the right length bolt for the situation. The alternative would be to use a self locking locknut which would approximate the appearance of the acorn nut and then use an angle grinder or hacksaw to cut off the excess threads on the bolt. Using a toothed lock washer might be an alternative substitute to the self locking locknut….
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2022, 12:04 PM   #10

Virginia
Thanks
Old 10-08-2022, 12:11 PM   #11

Virginia
Thanks for everyone's advice. This allowed me to replace the rivet properly. After traveling over 20K miles over the last 3 years, I have only had to replace two rivets. One in the bathroom wall & the last one is a roof rivet by the front door. & Cabinet corner.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:29 PM   #12

Name: John
Trailer: I started with a 2010 Casita Spirit Deluxe.I now have a 2015, Dynamax DX3-37RV Super-C diesel puller
Box Elder, SD (formerly of Long Island, NY)
This happened to me once. I had a Harbor Freight rivet tool that was apparently made of a low quality "Chinesieum". I bought a Stanley brand rivet tool which did a proper job. The Stanley tool was also made in China. I guess Stanley specked a better grade of "Chinesium".
FlyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita