Casita SD17 battery module - What is it? - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2020, 01:49 PM   #1

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Casita SD17 battery module - What is it?

I am trying to identify the following module that is attached to the battery compartment on the inside of the trailer. The top lead goes to the positive lead coming out of the battery compartment. The bottom lead goes to the DC distribution panel on the other side of the hot water heater.

Does anyone know what this module is? I am guessing it is some kind of overload breaker or sensor. I sent a question to Casita however, they are not responding. I am assuming COVID has hit them again and they must be shut down.

Thank you in advance for any comments.
Attached Thumbnails
Battery module 20201030_122458.jpg  
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 02:49 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I am trying to identify the following module that is attached to the battery compartment on the inside of the trailer. The top lead goes to the positive lead coming out of the battery compartment. The bottom lead goes to the DC distribution panel on the other side of the hot water heater.

Does anyone know what this module is? I am guessing it is some kind of overload breaker or sensor. I sent a question to Casita however, they are not responding. I am assuming COVID has hit them again and they must be shut down.

Thank you in advance for any comments.
It’s an overcurrent device ( Circuit breaker ) . The NEC requires an over current device as close as practical / possible to the battery.
Our 2013 17ft Casita SD had the same circuit breaker in the same location.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 04:00 PM   #3

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Ditto what Steve said. I believe it is an 'automatic reset' breaker. I don't think ours has ever tripped, but if it is an automatic reset I guess we wouldn't know. Ours is in the same location too.
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2020, 07:02 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19; 1977 Trillium 1300
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
I went with a manual reset breaker in this application, as I would rather be alerted to a problem. These tend to go in two styles, manual reset and automatic. Manual will have a small reset button (unlabeled) on. it.
thrifty bill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #5

Idaho
Thank you

I thank everyone for their response. My breaker does not have a reset button on it that I can see, so I have to assume (you know how to spell that word) that it is an automatic reset.

Again, thank you for all of the replies.
Old 12-31-2020, 10:16 AM   #6

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
I agree with Thrifty Bill - The code restricts the use of automatically resetting circuit breakers and for good reason . Automatically resetting breakers trip then after a period of time reset and trip again , over and over again until something self destructs . A manual reset over current device trips and then requires some sort of human action to correct the issue and reenergize the circuit.
Fuses are old technology but provide the most dependable protection IMHO
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 04:17 PM   #7

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
which type of reset on Casita?

Steve, If my memory serves me correctly you owned a Casita previously, can't remember what year though. Do you know which type of reset breaker Casita used on a 2012 SD? Would they have ever changed from one type to the other?

Thanks for all sharing all of your electrical wisdom with the forum members.

jon
jon carpenter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2020, 05:56 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I remember that the trucks with lift gates that I worked on had breakers that had to be manually reset. The breaker was mounted directly on the positive post of the battery and the wire to the lift gate on the other terminal of the breaker. Something like that may be a good idea on a camper. I don't recall seeing any breaker on our 96 Casita.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #9

Trailer: Sunlight
Automatic reset breaker

Mine went kaput last spring. My Spirit SD is a 2000 so they have been using this for quite awhile. I had a very hard time diagnosing it. Finding it was another matter. It was cheap to replace so I got two and left a note with the extra in a ziplock bag. It appeared as if the entire converter was busted so this was an easier and cheaper fix. Why they place it under the the back seat which is a bed in most people’s setup is beyond me!
Michael Herron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #10

Idaho
Casita Battery Circuit Breaker

Confirmation from Casita Service Department that the module in question is a 40 amp automatic reset battery circuit breaker.

Here is a quote from Casita:

"Yes it is an automatic reset breaker we have used these guys here since the late 80s if the breaker is jumping on and off it makes sound as well like a tick or a ping if it was shorting on and off you could hear it clicking."
Old 01-06-2021, 01:02 PM   #11

Idaho
Automatic Battery Circuit Breaker Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Herron View Post
Why they place it under the the back seat which is a bed in most people’s setup is beyond me!
Because the breaker needs to be as close as possible to the battery. Since the battery compartment is located on the driver's side at the rear of the Casita, that is where the circuit breaker is located. I suppose the breaker could have been located in the battery compartment, however that would require removing a very heavy battery to access the breaker. Personally, I would rather deal with the bed.

Tags
battery, casita