Casita Spirit battery operation question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2016, 09:04 AM   #1

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 1992 Casita Spirit
Texas
Casita Spirit battery operation question

Just got a 2nd hand 92 Casita Spirit Deluxe in amazing condition. Checked the 12v battery, large marine type Stowaway I think. Anyway, after putting my battery charger on it for a day it read 12.5v. When I hooked up the Black/Green/White wires, black being +, and NOT plugged into any external elect., I figured the 12v lights in the trailer would light up....well not a light to be seen. Any ideas on why not? Where would I go next to find out why lights are not burning?

Another question.....when I connect my water hose from my house to trailer, lots of pressure at my place. The hot water side of the sink and shower give me a great amount of water/pressure. BUT when I turn on COLD side I just get a trickle????? Why???
xbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 09:49 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
1 ) Check to see if you have 12VDC at the converter.
2) Check the 30 amp fuses on the converter
3) Check the DC automotive style branch circuit fuses on the converter.
4) Check for loose connection on the converter.
5) There is a fuse block for the battery on the wall of the battery compartment . The fuse is accessible by lifting the seat board on the drivers side rear dinette. It is a small black rectangular fuse which looks like a terminal block.
If the 12 volt lights work when your on shore power , the problem is most likely in the battery , converter connections or a blown main DC fuse.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:17 AM   #3

Name: Jack
Trailer: 2013 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17'
New Hampshire
Hi,
Just to clarify you have it wired like this? Black is positive (+). Green and White, negative (-). After that, check fuses, then trace wires, use a test lamp.

As to your plumbing problem, do you have a hot water tank bypass? If so, what position is the valve in? Do you still have your manual, all this stuff is in there.

Jack
NH Voyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 10:41 AM   #4

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
As a word of caution, you mentioned "lots of pressure" from the water supply and lots of pressure can cause problems with leaking fittings. It's a really good idea to use a pressure regulator to avoid excess pressure from the external water supply.

The difference in pressure between hot and cold sides of the system is another matter and as NW Voyager has already suggested, a water heater bypass valve position check is the next logical step.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 11:23 AM   #5

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
My trailer is a year younger than yours and I had the same problem that got worse over time. I finally went to Sam's Club and got 6 gallons of white vinegar and ran it through the water system. I was amazed at the kind of gunk that came out. That's Texas water for you. That took care of the problem.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #6

Texas
Found a inline fuse off the + side of battery with a "blown" 20 amp fuse, replaced with a 30 and lights came on , water pump started whirrrrring. 1/2 way there. Now to what you helpful guys called a water heater bypass valve n for me check its position. OK, where is it, re-read my original owners manual and could not find it mentioned. Oh....looked under sink cabinet for a fuse for water pump.....not there. Wires fm switch disappear under passenger side dinette seat, very rear of trailer. Dennis
Old 07-06-2016, 03:41 PM   #7

Texas
You probably don't have a bypass valve. If you do, it will be on the water heater under the left rear pedestal. The water pump fuse should be on your breaker/fuse panel.
Old 07-06-2016, 03:54 PM   #8

Texas
Did a Google and yur right about location but have not looked at my setup. If no bypass valve, then wonder why cold n hot water pressure are not the same? This is when hooked up to home water faucet. Might try the white vinegar trick or bleach 1/2 water. Cold water is just a trickle. Tnx for all ya'alls help.
Old 07-06-2016, 04:08 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Water flow

Consider checking the small strainers that are on the end of the faucets and shower head. They can get clogged with debris. There was no bypass valve on the end of the water heater on early Casita's. Someone may have installed one. I thought the bypass valve was used to stop water from flowing into the water heater. I can't think how it would have anything to do with cold water flow especially since it is unlikely that your Casita even has one.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
Pennsylvania
Water pump and fuse.

I don't know what fuse is specified for the one that you found that was blown. I don't know if it's a good idea to install a bigger fuse unless that's all you have and just want to get things tested. The fuse was probably blown by someone hooking the battery up backwards. The water pump is not used if you are connected to house pressure water with a hose. If you put some water in the fresh water tank, the pump is used to deliver that water throughout the casita.
starbrightsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 04:34 PM   #11

Texas
I would not use bleach ... especailly not at that concentration!!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbrightsteve View Post
Consider checking the small strainers that are on the end of the faucets and shower head. They can get clogged with debris. There was no bypass valve on the end of the water heater on early Casita's. Someone may have installed one. I thought the bypass valve was used to stop water from flowing into the water heater. I can't think how it would have anything to do with cold water flow especially since it is unlikely that your Casita even has one.
If the faucet / shower strainer is plugged , how would that only affect the cold water since the strainer is common to both hot and cold water ? Since the hot water pressure is derived from the pressure of the incoming cold water , it would seem more likely that the cold water pressure would be normal and the hot water pressure be low if there was an issue. Maybe the PO modified the system and there is a valve out of position or something has malfunctioned
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2016, 06:39 PM   #13

Texas
Got a feeling there is a blockage somewhere in cold water line. Saw one plumbing floor plan that showed a water filter up front, underneath. Doubt if I have one but am going to look anyway. How about this idea.....remove strainer in kitchen sink (been there already), remove hose connection to the house, open the cold water and shoot air into the faucet - back flow to unplug whatever might be blocking cold water flow? Also there might be a regulator somewhere that is malfunction????
Old 07-06-2016, 09:30 PM   #14

Texas
I tried the compressed air thing and it didn't work. Taking the pedestal out is not a big job. You'll need a square drive for the screws; four or five around the top edge and maybe three or four on the inside bottom edge. That will give you access to the pump and the heater. If you've got the original heater, the anode rod is on the back side facing you. If the anode was never changed and the tank drained regularly, you probably have either a ton of gunk in there (best case scenario) or the tank is shot and the pieces are clogging up your water lines.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:48 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by CASITA BANANA View Post
I tried the compressed air thing and it didn't work. Taking the pedestal out is not a big job. You'll need a square drive for the screws; four or five around the top edge and maybe three or four on the inside bottom edge. That will give you access to the pump and the heater. If you've got the original heater, the anode rod is on the back side facing you. If the anode was never changed and the tank drained regularly, you probably have either a ton of gunk in there (best case scenario) or the tank is shot and the pieces are clogging up your water lines.
Not sure I want to believe anything about the hot water side as his is working fine, flows freely and is a separate line leaving the heater. The cold side is the problem.....somewhere past the pump which is common to both and working fine. The faucets are not it as they flow fine with the hot side running. A city water connection has the same problem, eliminate that too. The only thing left is the cold line. Very well could be something in the line and compressed air from the faucet towards a disconnected outlet on the pump may flush it out. Unless there has been a stray valve installed by a PO..........interesting problem<_<.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 08:19 AM   #16

Name: Charles
Trailer: Casita
Florida
I'm a noob, be here is an idea.

I ran into this at our campground on a conventional trailer. I winterizing valve was left open, and it took us hours to figure out the cold wate was running out on the ground.
bookernoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 11:23 AM   #17

Texas
water flow

Think I solved my problem....took off cold feed line under kitchen cabby and turned on house supply water. Water flowed thru supply line....great!!! When I screwed supply line back on faucet n turned on cold water....no flow!! That tells me my prob all along has been the faucet! Never gave that a thought cause the hot side had great pressure. Guessing the hot n cold have separate valves in the faucet. Ordered faucet today from Little House just up the road from me.
Old 07-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #18

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbassman View Post
Think I solved my problem....took off cold feed line under kitchen cabby and turned on house supply water. Water flowed thru supply line....great!!! When I screwed supply line back on faucet n turned on cold water....no flow!! That tells me my prob all along has been the faucet! Never gave that a thought cause the hot side had great pressure. Guessing the hot n cold have separate valves in the faucet. Ordered faucet today from Little House just up the road from me.
Interesting, when I said the faucet was fine because of the hot flow I never considered the mixing valve. How about taking it apart to see if you can find the problem?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #19

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbassman View Post
Just got a 2nd hand 92 Casita Spirit Deluxe in amazing condition. Checked the 12v battery, large marine type Stowaway I think. Anyway, after putting my battery charger on it for a day it read 12.5v. When I hooked up the Black/Green/White wires, black being +, and NOT plugged into any external elect., I figured the 12v lights in the trailer would light up....well not a light to be seen. Any ideas on why not? Where would I go next to find out why lights are not burning?

Another question.....when I connect my water hose from my house to trailer, lots of pressure at my place. The hot water side of the sink and shower give me a great amount of water/pressure. BUT when I turn on COLD side I just get a trickle????? Why???
Hi. We just bought a 1992 Camera as well. We have just finished up redecorating and ready to go in on first trip. We have the same battery problem. How did you resolve your problem?
Gerles71 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, casita