Casita Storage Cover Outside - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-03-2021, 05:30 AM   #1

Name: Kim
Trailer: 2008 Casita Freedom
Arkansas
Casita Storage Cover Outside

We just bought a used 2008 Casita and have it stored outside uncovered in a storage facility. My question is should we purchase a cover for it? It's about a $250 investment so want to be sure it's the right thing to do. Any issues with using a cover? Do you cover it both winter and summer? We don't get much snow here. The heat is probably more of an issue. Obviously we want to protect it as much as we can, but don't want it to be in the way of us enjoying it. If the cover is on, we may not want to use it as much because I hear it's a bear to put on.
kcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 07:29 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
The biggest problem with trailer covers or tarps, to me anyway, is that they chafe and abrade the gel coat over time. Just the wind ruffling it over time will scuff the finish. I just park my trailer under my metal carport, (which I installed to keep the next door neighbor's large sap dripping fir trees from making a total mess of it,) without a specific cover over the trailer itself. Yes, it will get dirty regardless over several months under the carport, but nothing that a good soap and water bath won't cure. Actually, the biggest bugaboo for fiberglass and plastics is sun exposure, more than any other detrimental problem. Just sayin'.

And yes, they are a bear to put on and off.
Attached Thumbnails
Keder Rail1.JPG  
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 01:38 PM   #3

Name: Pat
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 19 Deluxe
Enchanted Mountains of Western New York State on the Amish Trail in Cattaraugus County!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
The biggest problem with trailer covers or tarps, to me anyway, is that they chafe and abrade the gel coat over time. Just the wind ruffling it over time will scuff the finish.
I so agree with Greg!!! I live in upstate NY and you never see RV dealers covering their RVs in the snowy winter months. They sit outside in the ice and snow all winter long. A better investment would be a carport or barn to protect it from the sun.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 03:40 PM   #4

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcarver View Post
We ...have it stored outside uncovered in a storage facility...
I rather doubt the storage facility will allow them to erect a carport

Cold is not a problem... Snow is not a problem (unless its really a lot of heavy snow). Heat is not much of a problem. But Sunlight will do a lot of damage over time. It will degrade the gel coat, the plastics, the rubber, the tires, the seals, etc... A carport is ideal since it allows ventilation but still protects from UV damage. Even a long term temporary carport can make a world of difference:
https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/...amp-96250.html

A cover can also protect from UV damage but a bad cover can do more damage than it prevents. A good cover should be breathable, tight fitting, not too hard to take on / take off, and have a method for opening the door and getting inside so you can keep keep a check for rodents, leaks, etc.

If you are worried about spending $250 then look at Calmark covers.. they meet all the requirements which I listed above, and once you see the price, you will consider $250 a bargain (if it is a good cover).
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita