Casita tongue jack wheel - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2020, 04:58 PM   #1

Name: Donn
Trailer: Currently shopping
California
Casita tongue jack wheel

We bought a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe today (yahoo). I want to put a wheel on the jack so I can move the trailer around in my driveway. Does anyone know if the jack is 2”, or what size wheel I need?

Cheers
Mr Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:32 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The most popular items to leave on the "free" tarp at a rally are those jack wheels. Unless the trailer is parked on totally smooth concrete, you will not be able to move it.
Old 05-30-2020, 05:48 PM   #3

California
Jack wheel

Thanks for the insight. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m assuming the tong weight to be less than 300 lbs. My driveway is pavers and I’m not planning on rolling it far. What do you think?
Thanks
Old 05-30-2020, 06:24 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
Thanks for the insight. Maybe I’m missing something. I’m assuming the tong weight to be less than 300 lbs. My driveway is pavers and I’m not planning on rolling it far. What do you think?
Thanks

My understanding is that the Casita 17 is extremely tongue heavy. Best recollection puts it at 425 lbs.
A small pebble ( 1/4 inch ) will stop the trailer from moving and if you do get it going, you'll have a hard time stopping it.

Best to hook up and move it with the tow vehicle.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:28 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
A Casita 17 can have tongue weight over 400 lb. Yours is probably not under 300. Look for the dual wheels for your tongue jack. might make moving the trailer easier. EDIT: I've moved my Casita 17 with a lawn tractor, but only on level ground
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:44 PM   #6

From a search:
From the Trailer Weights in the Real World thread (post #297 links to a spreadsheet), average total weight of a Casita 17 Deluxe is 3275 pounds with and average tongue weight of 415 pounds.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:58 PM   #7

California
Tongue jack wheel

Thanks you folks for the info. I really only need to block one tire and pivot the trailer into a better spot. Think that will work if I have a helper?
Cheers
Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 PM   #8

Should work, with help.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:38 PM   #9

California
Wonder why the Casita website shows 2480lbs.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:51 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Casita, and other manufacturers, typically show empty weight. The trailer weights in the real world are trailers ready for camping with water, propane, food, clothing and other gear. Ours was weighed at Bandon at the rally.

BTW, eTrailer has a couple if different wheels that would work.

Quote:
Wonder why the Casita website shows 2480lbs.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #11

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Thanks you folks for the info. I really only need to block one tire and pivot the trailer into a better spot. Think that will work if I have a helper?
Cheers
We park our trailer on a concrete slab. We move it manually about 5 or 6 feet each time we pull it out or tuck it away.

Our Casita FD17 ran about 425 lbs tongue weight. I could reduce that a bit by managing the loading carefully, but all of the 17' Deluxe models are notoriously tongue-heavy.

We use a "600 lb rated" dolly. It's marginal at best due to the cheap construction. When one of the original wheels failed due to the steel hub warping sideways, I replaced them both with some solid rubber wheels I found on eBay, ALBION 648.257.1530G Solid Rubber Wheel, 10 In, 550 lb. The replacement wheels appear to be handing the sideways stresses of steering the tongue much better.

The dolly's comfortable rating should be probably about half what they claim. The bolted connections and the gauge and configuration of the steel parts are just not up to the claimed rating, so it's a bit of a chore to use. The parts shift a bit each time we change directions, and there's little or no overlap between members.

I suspect that using the little tongue-jack wheel would require even more substantial efforts to move the tongue sideways.
Attached Thumbnails
Trailer Dolly.jpg  
Attached Images

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #12

Name: Ken
Trailer: Four Wheel Pop Up Camper
Oregon
Quote:
Cheers

Hi All,

I have the same Casita and I use a single caster when I park it in my level concrete driveway. I do move the Casita some by hand when I need too, especially to line up the tongue and hitch, and I'm not a big man by any means. If I really want to move it a longer distance, a little help from my wife makes it easy.

Ken
Inky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 01:50 PM   #13

Name: Mac
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' LD
Oregon
Congratulations on your Casita! We love ours.

1) Agree with the dolly being cheap. I got one at Harbor Freight and it's probably the same one, flimsy. Thanks for the tip on the solid wheels - we don't use ours much, but it's good to know it can be improved.
2) Our 17'LD, with full propane tanks, ready to hit the road, has a tongue weight of 450#.
3) We have a wheel - I believe it is 2" but it's necessary to check/be sure. I carry it in our toolbox in case our trailer needs towing on a flatbed or otherwise - it will roll up the flatbed on the wheel. It rolls around the cement surface at the Casita's home just fine o that wheel.
4) our trailer's dry weight is ostensibly 2480, but note its axle is rated for 3500#, and we usually find an axle weight of close to 3000# when traveling.
Spongelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:32 PM   #14

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
We bought a Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe today (yahoo). I want to put a wheel on the jack so I can move the trailer around in my driveway. Does anyone know if the jack is 2”, or what size wheel I need?

Cheers
We have a 17' Casita. We have the small tongue wheel and it moves the trailer ok if only a short distance. Sometimes sits weird if you don't get it in the groove on the jack perfect. We have a tongue dolly from Harbor Freight and it does a good job. We park in a garage on flat concrete. We prefer the dolly. We don't like leaving the wheel on the jack when camping as it feels like it is moving almost.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:10 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongelander View Post
1) Agree with the dolly being cheap. I got one at Harbor Freight and it's probably the same one, flimsy. Thanks for the tip on the solid wheels - we don't use ours much, but it's good to know it can be improved.
Yes, the picture of the dolly is from Harbor Freight and looks just like ours.

I just remembered that it was given to us by the sellers when we purchased our teardrop. It worked pretty good for that little trailer with about a hundred-pound tongue weight.

Now, with the Escape 21, it's much more challenged, but the replacement wheels seem to be doing the job.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Name: Kim
Trailer: Casita
Florida
We just bought one of those Dolly’s at Harbor Freight. It worked great for turning our Casita around so we could carport camp! It took two us though! Wouldn’t want to have to move it very far.
Kimmyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #17

Name: graham
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
We have a 17' Casita. We have the small tongue wheel and it moves the trailer ok if only a short distance. Sometimes sits weird if you don't get it in the groove on the jack perfect. We have a tongue dolly from Harbor Freight and it does a good job. We park in a garage on flat concrete. We prefer the dolly. We don't like leaving the wheel on the jack when camping as it feels like it is moving almost.
I think it is recommended to remove the wheel when traveling. It is lower than the foot on the jack and could scrape In some situations.
Graham
Opelika Al
gyuill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita