Casita TV Ampifier - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2022, 06:47 PM   #1

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Casita TV Ampifier

OK, Trying to figure out something on the TV system. I have the one connection on the outside Rear Drivers side at the top where you plug into the Cable system at an RV park and I click the button on the inside to off and it works fine. There is another cable coming from that box in the cabinet that I'm assuming is the amplifier. It runs through the same cabinet but does not connect to the outside connection, instead it runs along the inside of the drivers side cabinets to the front at the cabinet next to the bathroom. The coaxial then connects to a black wire as in the pictures and it runs to where I am pointing. I cannot trace it from there. It runs alongside a black and a white wire which I am assuming goes to the bathroom vent. There is no antenna on the room. That is what I would expect, that it would attach to some sort of antenna but I cannot figure out where it goes and there is no way to access it from where I am pointing. I have looked in the manual, the aftermarket manual and cannot find any reference to this. It is a factory install

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220428_115711.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	145687

Name:	IMG_20220428_190055.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	145688

Name:	IMG_20220428_190115.jpg
Size:	146.8 KB
ID:	145689

Name:	IMG_20220428_190006.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	145690

Name:	IMG_20220428_190018.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	145691

Name:	IMG_20220428_190025.jpg
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	145692
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 07:16 AM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
That coax heading to the front of the trailer along the driver's side is connected to the flat "ribbon" antenna which is sandwiched above the fiberglass bathroom roof and the inside carpeting above it. FWIW, I removed that coax and just abandoned the ribbon antenna in place. It isn't worth a crap anyway, so you're really not out much. Mine never worked. And I also got rid of that crummy amplifier as well. It also never worked worth a crap either.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2022, 08:03 AM   #3

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently shopping
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
That coax heading to the front of the trailer along the driver's side is connected to the flat "ribbon" antenna which is sandwiched above the fiberglass bathroom roof and the inside carpeting above it. FWIW, I removed that coax and just abandoned the ribbon antenna in place. It isn't worth a crap anyway, so you're really not out much. Mine never worked. And I also got rid of that crummy amplifier as well. It also never worked worth a crap either.
Yep, that seems to be the consensus, I have an amplifier that I ran a second line to which works way better, just gonna unplug it and plug into that.
indysafe317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2022, 11:36 AM   #4

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Casita TV Amp a waste

Quote:
Originally Posted by indysafe317 View Post
OK, Trying to figure out something on the TV system. I have the one connection on the outside Rear Drivers side at the top where you plug into the Cable system at an RV park and I click the button on the inside to off and it works fine. There is another cable coming from that box in the cabinet that I'm assuming is the amplifier. It runs through the same cabinet but does not connect to the outside connection, instead it runs along the inside of the drivers side cabinets to the front at the cabinet next to the bathroom. The coaxial then connects to a black wire as in the pictures and it runs to where I am pointing. I cannot trace it from there. It runs alongside a black and a white wire which I am assuming goes to the bathroom vent. There is no antenna on the room. That is what I would expect, that it would attach to some sort of antenna but I cannot figure out where it goes and there is no way to access it from where I am pointing. I have looked in the manual, the aftermarket manual and cannot find any reference to this. It is a factory install
I too, got conned by Casita to put that TV amp and system in. As previously stated, a total waste of money. The amp and the TV antenna are made in China junk. I have to confess that when I bought the trailer, the TV amp/antenna part were just options being offered. Being a "newbie" and wanting to get the best of everything. Not knowing what I was buying, I went for most of the options offered by Casita. I chalk it all up to lessons learned in life. My fault, not Casita's for adding it to my purchase.

I since have acquired a weBoost antenna system and use the external cable/TV antenna connection to route my weBoost signal to the inside of my Casita. Though I have a TV in my Casita, I rarely use it. Instead, I find that my laptop provides me all of the electronic entertainment I need. What I enjoy most, is sitting outside and enjoying nature and the peace and quiet of the areas where I camp. I am considering removing the TV as my laptop is quite sufficient for me. I can use that space for something else.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 01:53 PM   #5

Name: Dion
Trailer: Ordered Casita Heritage
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Penn View Post
I too, got conned by Casita to put that TV amp and system in. As previously stated, a total waste of money. The amp and the TV antenna are made in China junk. I have to confess that when I bought the trailer, the TV amp/antenna part were just options being offered. Being a "newbie" and wanting to get the best of everything. Not knowing what I was buying, I went for most of the options offered by Casita. I chalk it all up to lessons learned in life. My fault, not Casita's for adding it to my purchase.

I since have acquired a weBoost antenna system and use the external cable/TV antenna connection to route my weBoost signal to the inside of my Casita. Though I have a TV in my Casita, I rarely use it. Instead, I find that my laptop provides me all of the electronic entertainment I need. What I enjoy most, is sitting outside and enjoying nature and the peace and quiet of the areas where I camp. I am considering removing the TV as my laptop is quite sufficient for me. I can use that space for something else.
So on Monday my wife and I are putting our order in for a Casita Heritage Deluxe. I keep going around and around with some of the options. The TV is one and the TV Antenna w/Amplifier. If I don't get the amplifier do I just get my own and hook it up to the TV? I'm not sure what the external cable/Tv connection is that you mention?
billnye97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 02:45 PM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Casita - 2019 SD17
Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by billnye97 View Post
So on Monday my wife and I are putting our order in for a Casita Heritage Deluxe. I keep going around and around with some of the options. The TV is one and the TV Antenna w/Amplifier. If I don't get the amplifier do I just get my own and hook it up to the TV? I'm not sure what the external cable/Tv connection is that you mention?
Bill, the external cable/TV connector is just that. It is a penetration in the shell of the trailer. On my trailer, it is on the driver side of the trailer to the very back and at the top. It is a weather proof standard cable/TV connector that allows you to connect to the cable TV system at a trailer park or use your own TV antenna. Inside the trailer, there is a reciprocal connector that has a cable that runs across the inside of the top back cabinet to the TV amplifier/connectors. I would opt for that installation. Just don't pay the extra for the cheap Chinese made TV antenna. If you do get the antenna, it is only good for local stations that are close to you. And I mean close. It is installed in the wall of the shower enclosure. There is no access to that antenna. It is one of those flat window antennas available on Amazon for about $10.

I had Casita provide and install the TV bracket, but I did not buy the TV from them. I put a in 24" TV and paid less for it than you will with what Casita offers. They do a nice job of the bracket installation. Mounting your own TV is relatively easy. You need to be something of a contortionist, but it can be done if you are willing to put the effort in.

Also get the solar power connector installed. It too, is installed on the driver's side of the trailer about mid way back I believe near the wheel well. It is not that expensive and gives you the option later to use solar power should you desire.

I know it has nothing to do with your TV connector/amplifier question, but I would suggest going with the standard battery they offer instead of the AGM. I later switched to lithium batteries. The standard battery is much cheaper and I think you will be happier with the lithium battery(s). More power . . . less weight. They are expensive, but with the cost of the upgrade to the AGM, you are almost halfway there. Lithium also have a much longer life. Just a suggestion. Should you decide on the AGM battery, you may want to do some shopping on your own to decide the cost benefit of getting your own AGM battery. One of the problems will be the limitation of the battery compartment size. The battery compartment is designed for to allow for the outgassing of a standard battery. Theoretically, the AGM and Lithium batteries do not outgas.

I know, a long winded answer for your concise question. If you want more information, feel free to PM me.
Bob Penn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #7

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Quote:
I would suggest going with the standard battery they offer instead of the AGM. I later switched to lithium batteries. The standard battery is much cheaper and I think you will be happier with the lithium battery(s). More power . . . less weight. They are expensive, but with the cost of the upgrade to the AGM, you are almost halfway there.
+1 on not opting for the optional AGM battery - It's quite expensive, particularly when you consider that you're not getting a credit for the cost of conventional battery it replaces.

Use the conventional battery until it wears out, and then upgrade it.
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2022, 06:05 PM   #8

Name: Dion
Trailer: Ordered Casita Heritage
Ohio
Quote:
Bill, the external cable/TV connector is just that. It is a penetration in the shell of the trailer. On my trailer, it is on the driver side of the trailer to the very back and at the top. It is a weather proof standard cable/TV connector that allows you to connect to the cable TV system at a trailer park or use your own TV antenna. Inside the trailer, there is a reciprocal connector that has a cable that runs across the inside of the top back cabinet to the TV amplifier/connectors. I would opt for that installation. Just don't pay the extra for the cheap Chinese made TV antenna. If you do get the antenna, it is only good for local stations that are close to you. And I mean close. It is installed in the wall of the shower enclosure. There is no access to that antenna. It is one of those flat window antennas available on Amazon for about $10.

I had Casita provide and install the TV bracket, but I did not buy the TV from them. I put a in 24" TV and paid less for it than you will with what Casita offers. They do a nice job of the bracket installation. Mounting your own TV is relatively easy. You need to be something of a contortionist, but it can be done if you are willing to put the effort in.

Also get the solar power connector installed. It too, is installed on the driver's side of the trailer about mid way back I believe near the wheel well. It is not that expensive and gives you the option later to use solar power should you desire.

I know it has nothing to do with your TV connector/amplifier question, but I would suggest going with the standard battery they offer instead of the AGM. I later switched to lithium batteries. The standard battery is much cheaper and I think you will be happier with the lithium battery(s). More power . . . less weight. They are expensive, but with the cost of the upgrade to the AGM, you are almost halfway there. Lithium also have a much longer life. Just a suggestion. Should you decide on the AGM battery, you may want to do some shopping on your own to decide the cost benefit of getting your own AGM battery. One of the problems will be the limitation of the battery compartment size. The battery compartment is designed for to allow for the outgassing of a standard battery. Theoretically, the AGM and Lithium batteries do not outgas.

I know, a long winded answer for your concise question. If you want more information, feel free to PM me.
Thank you for the info. It is really helpful. How hard is it to upgrade to lithium?

Definitely going to pass on the TV antenna but as far as the TV goes do I have to buy a special “rv” one? Or is it as easy as getting one from a big box store?
billnye97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita