Casita unhitching while driving - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 07:39 AM   #41

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
I usually shake it around first to make sure it is hitched then do a final check with feeling up inside. I just feel and look to make sure the latch is under the ball. It is not my first check.
As you like. I wouldn’t. Safety aside, I’d rather not get my hands greasy right before I get in my vehicle to drive. I’d get on my knees and do a visual check, as others have suggested, before I’d stick my fingers in there. It’s easy enough to see if the underjaw is in the right position.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:30 PM   #42

Name: James Y.
Trailer: Companion
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
One more good reason to use a WDH. Since you must raise the TV to attach the spring bars, this also ensures the coupler is seated on the ball.
Not all trailers need a weight distribution hitch.
Jim G. - Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:41 PM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim G. - Ohio View Post

Nope. It's the tow vehicle that needs it, to improve ride and safety.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:42 PM   #44

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
its a function of the tow vehicle and the tongue weight that determines if you need a WDH. If your tongue weight only makes your vehicle sag a small amount, then there's nothing a WDH will do to help you..
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 07:29 AM   #45

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Nope. It's the tow vehicle that needs it, to improve ride and safety.
Not all tow vehicles can use a WDH, and on those vehicles which the manufacturer instructs the owners to NOT use a WDH any suggestion that using a WDH is good because it helps to make sure that you are properly hitched is moot.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #46

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
You can touch the latch on the coupler where it interfaces the ball when it is installed properly below the ball, but not when it is above... easy peasy.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 09:57 AM   #47

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon2 View Post
Not all tow vehicles can use a WDH, and on those vehicles which the manufacturer instructs the owners to NOT use a WDH any suggestion that using a WDH is good because it helps to make sure that you are properly hitched is moot.
True that.

Although it would work just fine...
My new truck does not require a WDH all the way up to the max tow rating.

Also...
Many fiberglass trailers would suffer unnecessary additional stress on frames designed more for light light weight than equalization.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 01:00 PM   #48

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
EVERY time I hitch up, I raise the tongue high enough to lift up the rear of my tow an inch or so to insure the coupler pawl is latched under the ball. If it is not, the trailer will pop loose while you're still parked.

Learned my lesson after I had my trailer pop off on a speed bump while exiting a campground.

Having an electric jack makes this quite simple.
This is very good advice.....been doing this for years and numerous trailers. Always check.....always!
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #49

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimiller5 View Post
One more good reason to use a WDH. Since you must raise the TV to attach the spring bars, this also ensures the coupler is seated on the ball.
From what I've seen on this forum not all vehicles can use a WDH. Some frames won't hold up to the pressure. It is also a lot of weight on the TV. On a fiberglass trailer you don't need a WDH unless your vehicle won't tow it properly. We use a sway bar and it does great. I feel if your vehicle can't tow a light weight trailer with only a sway bar you should look for a better TV that can do it. I understand heavier trailers needing a WDH but then the TV is usually a lot bigger also.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 02:48 PM   #50

If a manufacturer says they "do not recommend a WDH" it doesn't mean that they "recommend you do not use a WDH".

In the case of my Toyota RAV4, it took ages to get Toyota to respond to my question about WDH. They said that they do not have a relationship ( business ) with a WDH manufacturer and so they don't recommend ( any particular ) one.
Hyundai explained that they fear that a WDH will be inappropriately installed. It has nothing to do with frame strength.
Old 11-26-2019, 03:04 PM   #51

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
Regarding use of a WDH, I'm completely with Jann on that one. And my Ridgeline manual says not to use one. I wouldn't regardless. There can be a problem with a rear end drop though and that messes with the aim of the headlights. A solution for that is rear air bags and I plan on adding them shortly.
I
And I'll say again, I've replaced the stock hitch on my last two trailers with a Bulldog hitch, because they virtually guarantee a proper hookup. And I like that they are cast ifon rather than sheet metal.

Walt
Old 11-26-2019, 05:35 PM   #52

This is what the 2017 Honda Ridgeline manual actually says:
Weight distribution hitchesYour vehicle is designed to tow without the need for a load distributing hitch. If you wish to use one, please consult your trailer maker for proper installation and set-up.Improper set-up could degrade the handling, stability, and braking performance of your vehicle
Old 11-26-2019, 05:43 PM   #53

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
So they've relented a bit, possibly because there's been a major redesign since my 2013, where the manual states

A weight distribution hitch is not recommended........

Walt
Old 11-26-2019, 05:45 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
So they've relented a bit, possibly because there's been a major redesign since my 2013, where the manual states

A weight distribution hitch is not recommended........

Walt

And, "not recommended" does not mean "Do Not Use".
Old 11-27-2019, 08:51 AM   #55

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Unhitched??

Glad things worked out OK. Sounds like a 'false hitch' to me..easy to do if the clasp closes over the ball, it can still look like a true hitch. WE always look, then rock our rig back and forth a bit after hitching..just to check again.

I had another type problem last summer..hitched up the Casita at a CG and while doing my last "walk about" I, for some reason, grabbed the lock on the end of the main hitch pin..the whole cylendrical daggone lock body came off that pin & into my hand..and tiny pieces of rusted metal fell out on the ground. It was a lock system of this type:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/MaxxHaul-...vers/202752495

As U can see, the main pin was then free to slide out at any time..
Hint: always carry at least one spare main pin and clip. Mutts have been known to pull that clip off while owners were away from their rigs at a fuel stop or food stop too..ie the reason FOR the lock in the first place. BTW that lock as only 8 months old and had been lubed.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 12:52 PM   #56

Name: Larry
North Carolina
I drill a hole in the top of the hitch so I can see when it is seated. Failsafe unless my vision gets worse.
lgboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:10 PM   #57

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgboro View Post
I drill a hole in the top of the hitch so I can see when it is seated. Failsafe unless my vision gets worse.
First time I have heard of drilling a hole in the top of the hitch ball. I am going to have to think about this. Thanks for mentioning it.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:11 PM   #58

Name: Fred
Trailer: Escape 19
Arizona
Paranoid approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Just lower the coupler onto the ball, latch and jack up enough to be assured you are hitched.
Being more than slightly paranoid I keep jacking the trailer up until the bumper on my truck goes up a full 3 inches before I lower it down and take off. I carry a yard stick just to be sure. Shortly after I got our Escape I read about a guy who didn’t do that when he first got his and it got unhitched going down the road. Scared the dickens out of me so I’m really careful to be sure we are securely hitched up before we go.
AZCOWBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 01:29 PM   #59

Trailer: 16 ft Casita
Unhitching

You should put your chains in a cross so if does come unhitched the chains will hold trailer hitch off the ground.
johnlochbuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 02:33 PM   #60

Name: Robert
SD
look under the ball to see the hitch

I'm a Volunteer fireman and we pull a cascade Air trailer to fires. I teach that have the ball slide into the socket and still look to see the clip under the ball. It's a good thing you had good chains. In the 90's I borrowed a trailer to move a old piano and hit a bump and off went the trailer plowing asphalt. Boy those old pianos can take a hit and keep on playing.
RCF13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita, vin