Casita water pump - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-13-2020, 05:50 PM   #1

Name: Rick
Trailer: 1999 Casita Spirit Deluxe
Lawrence
Casita water pump

I recently purchased a 20 year old Casita. Originally it was a Freedom floorplan (the twin beds in back) but converted at some point to a Spirit Deluxe.

This feels like a really (no REALLY!)stupid question, but I can't find the water pump . . . It has started to make a lot of noise and I want to see if it's loose to it moorings, but for the life of me, I can't find the thing.

It's not next to the 16 gallon fresh water container, and I've looked under the sink, behind the silverware drawer, etc.

Any Casita owners have advice on where to look? It should be obvious (and the reason my question is stupid, is because it probably IS obvious), but for the life of me, I can't find it.

R.

thunderworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #2

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
Check on the street side next to the water heater. That's where it is on the SD and I suspect it is there or close to the water heater on yours. Just under the rear street side cushion in the back. Between the aisle and the water heater.

Follow the noisy water pump and you will locate it.

When you do find it, you may want to check and clean the pump filter. On yours I believe the filter is under the rear slant board.

Some others with more knowledge may chime in on this also.

jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 06:34 PM   #3

Lawrence
Next to the hot water heater (towards the back) is the battery compartment. I don't see any access to any of this. The hall access door is tiny, and only seems to provide access to the heater by-pass valve. Behind the slant board is some flex conduit that carries various electrical lines. There are no access panels on the water tank side (curb side) except through the top of the fiberglass bench. That access opens into the storage compartment that contains the fresh water tank. No pump there that I can see . . . all very puzzling.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:03 PM   #4

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
British Columbia
Can't you follow a pipe from a faucet to the pump?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon carpenter View Post
Check on the street side next to the water heater. That's where it is on the SD and I suspect it is there or close to the water heater on yours. Just under the rear street side cushion in the back. Between the aisle and the water heater.

Follow the noisy water pump and you will locate it.
When you do find it, you may want to check and clean the pump filter. On yours I believe the filter is under the rear slant board.

Some others with more knowledge may chime in on this also.
Same year Casita —Same pump location
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #6

Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Can't you follow a pipe from a faucet to the pump?
You would think so, but easier said than done. I suspect it’s near the water heater, but access to that area is extremely limited.
Old 08-13-2020, 07:50 PM   #7

Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Same year Casita —Same pump location
Other than access to the by-pass valve, the small hall door provides no access to the area. It makes no sense that you would have to pull the heater. From the top, you can access the top of the insulated heater and you can see the top of the battery compartment.
Old 08-13-2020, 08:42 PM   #8

Name: Steve
Trailer: Currently Shopping
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderworks View Post
Other than access to the by-pass valve, the small hall door provides no access to the area. It makes no sense that you would have to pull the heater. From the top, you can access the top of the insulated heater and you can see the top of the battery compartment.
My pump was mounted on the trailer wall between the battery compartment and the water heater as is the pump screen
Yours is a 1999 ; mine was a 2013 so they may be different
The pump was visible if you removed the plywood seat panel
The pump was accessible through the door on the face of the seat ( Drivers Side)
The pump is a diaphragm style pump so it is fairly small and noisy .

** I verified my answer with both Casita forums **
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:33 AM   #9

Name: jon
Trailer: 2013 Casita 17' SD
Illinois
I just reread the OP first post. He mentioned it was converted from a 1999 Freedom to an SD. He also mentioned twin beds in the back. Perhaps it is/was a Liberty or an Independence. If so, I am not for sure where the pump would be but I would still think it is near the water heater or the water heater cut off valve. Also, mine is a 2012 SD so the pump location may be different. Been wrong before and could be wrong this time.

jon
jon carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #10

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Registry
The water pump is mounted behind (inboard,) of the back of the battery cave. Some earlier Casitas didn't have the fold-up access cabinet door on the front, (aisleway,) side of the driver's rear fiberglass bench, and only had access through the removable top wooden cover in the lid of the bench. Later Casitas have an access hatch installed in the aisleway on the side of the bench. I'm not sure how good your access will be as far as getting to it to work on it would be through that top removable cover, but removing the bench itself only requires removing about a dozen or less wood screws which secure it to the trailer on a surrounding frame of 2" X 2"'s. Pull the screws and it should lift right up and off. You'd also need to pull it if you ever had to change the water heater.

Oh, and fwiw, the Freedom model had the Captain's chairs instead of the side dinette benches like the SD model has. The Freedom never came with twin bunks. Just sayin'.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 09:29 PM   #11

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
I recently purchased a 20 year old Casita. Originally it was a Freedom floorplan (the twin beds in back) but converted at some point to a Spirit Deluxe.

This feels like a really (no REALLY!)stupid question, but I can't find the water pump . . . It has started to make a lot of noise and I want to see if it's loose to it moorings, but for the life of me, I can't find the thing.

It's not next to the 16 gallon fresh water container, and I've looked under the sink, behind the silverware drawer, etc.

Any Casita owners have advice on where to look? It should be obvious (and the reason my question is stupid, is because it probably IS obvious), but for the life of me, I can't find it.

R.
Pump should be on the street side between the hot water heater and the battery box. It is only accessible from inside. It sits close to the front of the opening on the seat wall where your feet would be. Our 2007 has a flip up door to access it under the table. If you don't have a flip up door then take the seat panel off and look to the rear of the trailer. It should have a slide on each end of the pump to remove the pipes. The filter is between the pump and the in pipe. It also has a slide on each side of it to make removal easy. If you remove any of the pipes make sure your fresh water tank is completely empty and have a towel under the part you are removing as water will still come out until the pipe between the tank and pump is empty. The pipe is actually a flexible clear hose. Our 1985 had the pump in the same place.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:16 PM   #12

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
You're going to have to take out the street side rear pedestal to get to the pump. It's very easy after you take out the cushions etc. There are a half dozen screws around the top edge and a few inside on the bottom edge. NOTE: these are square drive screws for which you can get a bit for your drill at the hardware store. Take out the screws and lift the pedestal straight up and take it outside to get yourself plenty of access to the pump.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
I can't find the water pump . . . It has started to make a lot of noise and I want to see if it's loose to it moorings
Sometimes, maybe even more often than anything else, the flexible hose rattling against a surface can generate a lot of racket.

If that's the issue, you can wrap a bit of plastic foam wrap or something like that around it to quiet it down.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:09 PM   #14

Lawrence
When we got home from our 4 week trip to California, I got serious about tracking down the pump and noise. It is between the water heater and the battery compartment. Removing the fiberglass pedestal is not entirely straightforward since the converter/fuse box is riveted to the face of the fiberglass. I got enough of it free to access the pump. As it turns out, the pump itself is working fine, but the water lines are rattling against the sides. I wrapped the pipes in foam and quieted it down substantially.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.
Old 09-11-2020, 07:56 PM   #15

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
When we got home from our 4 week trip to California, I got serious about tracking down the pump and noise.
Well, it looks like you got home none too soon!

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:54 PM   #16

Lawrence
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
Well, it looks like you got home none too soon!
No kidding! We did reroute around the Loyalton Fire (Lassen Forest) on the return, but for the most part, it was not a problem. The fires got much worse a few days after we left California. Our son and his family live in northern Humboldt County, along the coast and are relatively safe from the fires which are mostly (although not entirely) east of the coastal range crests where the weather patterns are much different. It’s worrisome.

Tags
casita