casita- what makes it a deluxe model? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-09-2012, 06:03 PM   #1

Name: Dave and Shelly
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe Casita "New Name: Eggspensive"
Iowa
casita- what makes it a deluxe model?

I know with a scamp it means that you have a nicer wood look in the camper, is that what it is with the Casita as well?
sfoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:19 PM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Difference between Scamp and Casita

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoss View Post
is that what it is with the Casita as well?
No.

For Casita:
  • Standard = Couch/Bunks in front
  • Deluxe = Bathroom/Closet in front

For Scamp:
  • Standard = Fiberglass furniture
  • Deluxe = Custom Wood Interior
Old 01-09-2012, 06:57 PM   #3

Iowa
Thank you i always wondered about that. So i would want a deluxe. Thank you.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:18 PM   #4

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoss View Post
Thank you i always wondered about that. So i would want a deluxe. Thank you.
Deluxe also means larger bed (I think 6 inches) and option of front Dinette so you do not have to break down your bed to eat at a table.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #5

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
Deluxe also means larger bed (I think 6 inches) and option of front Dinette so you do not have to break down your bed to eat at a table.
Bill
I think you are thinking of a Scamp?

In a Casita the bath is always in the front unless it is not a deluxe in which case there can be the Bunks in front. Also in the Liberty and Freedom there is a Side Dinette so you can leave the big bed made up and in the Liberty you can configure the bed as permanent and still have a 2 person Dinette in front of the bed.

Shelly,like I said last night I am not sure anyone has ever seen a Non Deluxe Casita 17'?
I know of the 16' but don't think I have heard of a 17'?

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:03 PM   #6
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Almost.

Casita Liberty is the floor plan that makes the king bed. (It has no side dinette, but the galley is slightly longer.) The Casita Freedom is like the Casita Spirit, with side dinette, as Ed described. The difference is the Freedom has captain's chairs at the side dinette, where the Spirit seats are convertible to a small, single bed.

The difference between the standard and deluxe Casitas has already been described.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #7

Iowa
Sounds good, thank you, i am learning so much from you guys. I might actually know what the heck i am doing when i finally find my egg. PS Ed, i enjoyed talking to you. I hope we can get together soon and you can introduce me to your eggs. Would like to meet the newfundlunds as well.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #8

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I am not sure anyone has ever seen a Non Deluxe Casita 17'?
I have.

I forget who owns it, but they show up at the Lake Casitas rally near Ojai, California every October.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:38 AM   #9

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
Me too!

On one of my trips north a couple of years ago after the Oregon gathering I came across a couple with a 17 Casita and while speaking with them realized that it was different in the front. Wow!! It was a Standard 17 Casita. I only one that I've ever seen.

I never knew until then that Casita made Standard 17's.

I'm still puzzled why Casita continues to make the 16's. I haven't run across a new 16's for years and years.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:52 AM   #10

Trailer: Aliner
Joy, I don't know if Casita still makes 16' trailers for the Japanese market. But every once in a while I'll see someone announcing that they have ordered a new 16' Casita. And used ones still show up in the classifieds now and then.

If I were going to order a 16' trailer, I think I'd go with Scamp for the greater headroom.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 08:55 AM   #11

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
I suspect part of the reason for making Casita 16s is that the Casita 17 is truly a heavy rig. For me to tow a Casita 17 would require a bigger tow vehicle.

Tow vehicle size and rising fuel costs have dramiticaly reduced the number of people on the road this year. The park we are in had it's overflow and boondocking lots full at this time last year. This year there is no one in those spaces and still have a couple of normal slots empty.

The Thousand Trails campground near us has some empty slots and is advertising $200 a month specials.

I think the Casita 16 meets the need of people who don't need the extra height of the Scamp 16. Last year we had the opportunity to buy a 2005 Casita 17 for $7500 and turned it down because of its weight and as a result we would have to get a new, larger tow vehicle. (We were towing a Casita 16 at the time.)

This year we'll be towing close to 12,000 miles and driving another 10,000 or so exploring and with rising fuel prices it becomes more of an issue. For this year's trip I am projecting 900 gallons at $4 a gallon for $3600 or about $300 a month.

A freind with a diesel truck driving back and forth to FL, some 5000 miles is projecting $2000. If he had done our trip he's be looking at $8-9000 or $7-800 a month.

Unfortunately most RVers have larger rigs making traveling less affordable. I believe there is a market for smaller, better organized RV's designed for long range travel.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 06:17 AM   #12

Florida
More Casita 17 versus Casita 16

I received a PM on the Casita 17 concerning the 17's weight that was more thoughtful than my earlier response. Here is the essence.

It's not just the overall weight of the Casita 17 but specifically the tongue weight. The 17' is just too nose-heavy, and would often require a weight-distributing hitch; the 16' would not.

In the Spirit Deluxe version the 17' Casita is about 300 pounds heavier than their 16. While the 17' Casita is 300 lbs heavier than a 16' Casita, it's tongue weight is 110 pounds more than a 16' Casita.

The Casita 17 is a small (narrow) and relatively lightweight trailer, with a high tongue weight. It can only be towed by a vehicle which could also handle a much larger, heaver trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 01-14-2012, 11:48 PM   #13

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Deluxe Casita includes air conditioner.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 05:27 AM   #14

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
[QUOTE=Ed Harris;282761]Bill
I think you are thinking of a Scamp?

Yes I am thinking of the Scamp.
Bill in Pittsburgh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:37 PM   #15

Trailer: Aliner
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I received a PM on the Casita 17 concerning the 17's weight that was more thoughtful than my earlier response. Here is the essence.

It's not just the overall weight of the Casita 17 but specifically the tongue weight. The 17' is just too nose-heavy, and would often require a weight-distributing hitch; the 16' would not.

In the Spirit Deluxe version the 17' Casita is about 300 pounds heavier than their 16. While the 17' Casita is 300 lbs heavier than a 16' Casita, it's tongue weight is 110 pounds more than a 16' Casita.

The Casita 17 is a small (narrow) and relatively lightweight trailer, with a high tongue weight. It can only be towed by a vehicle which could also handle a much larger, heaver trailer.
Norm, you are right about the tongue weight. We are absolutely CRAZY about our Casita. Weight of the trailer is not an issue with us, but the heavy tongue weight does bog the rear of our truck down. Eventually I think we are going to get a WDH.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 12:53 PM   #16

Florida
Tongue Weight

Susan,

We're getting ready to hit the road so I weighed our Scamp's tongue today, 192 pounds. Last year our Casita 16's tongue weighed 230 pounds. This is at the lighter end for a Casita 16 based upon Fredericks table.

Casita 17's typically range from 360 up to 500 pounds with the lower end more common. It's hard for me to understand the difference between a Casita 16 and 17; why a Casita 17 adds so much tongue weight.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16