Casita Window Repairs - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2010, 09:56 AM   #1

Name: steve
Trailer: 1983 13ft casita
Arkansas
Casita Window Repairs

I am attempting to restore the front and back windows in a 1983 13ft. Casita. I want to remove the windows, disassemble the frames, and replace the original felt and rubber interior of the original frames.

Both Casita and Hehr Window were unable to offer the necessary materials to restore the windows on the older model windows.

Can anyone instruct me on how to remove the window frames and how to disassemble the frame, as well as, where I can obtain the necessary felt and rubber linings to restore the interior of the frames?

I appreciate any assistance.

Steve
steve in arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve in arkansas View Post
...where I can obtain the necessary felt and rubber linings to restore the interior of the frames?
Hi Steve,

I think the rubber channel you need is part # 75000639, and can be found here: All Rubber Channels with Flocked Lining

I'd love to hear how your window repair goes. We have a '84 Casita that needs to have its front and back windows rebuilt, but I've been putting the job off. Maybe you can inspire me to get to work on it!

Jeanne
Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #3

Arkansas
Thanks for providing me with a source to obtain the rubber channel for my Casita window repair. Now, if I can firgure out how to get the window out and how to disassemble it, I will try to find the courage to get started. I have a sinking feeling this may be a never ending project.
Thanks Again!!!

Steve
Old 08-20-2010, 07:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Steve, there are about 20 screws on the inside of each window frame that you will have to remove to get the windows out of the trailer. That is your first step.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #5

Arkansas
casita window repairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Steve, there are about 20 screws on the inside of each window frame that you will have to remove to get the windows out of the trailer. That is your first step.
Thanks Mark, there appears to be a rubber seal or lining in the frame as well as the felt. Since I do not know what the material is named, I am not sure what to ask for when trying to find the material. Can anyone tell me what to ask for and where I might find it?

Thanks Again!!

Steve
Old 08-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #6

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Do you mean between the frame and the exterior of the shell? Don't know what they used in 1983, but now you want to use Butyl tape... a putty like substance on a roll.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #7

Arkansas
casita window repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Do you mean between the frame and the exterior of the shell? Don't know what they used in 1983, but now you want to use Butyl tape... a putty like substance on a roll.
Thanks Donna, the rubber strip is in the metal window frame next to the felt strip.

Steve
Old 08-21-2010, 03:06 PM   #8

Steve, check out this page perhaps you'll find what you're looking for. The rubber parts are about halfway down the page: Interstate Metal Fabricators, Inc.
Old 08-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #9

Arkansas
casita window repair

Thanks for the Link Donna. One of those should work.

Steve
Old 08-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #10

Steve, it would be really helpful if you are able to get everything you need... with parts numbers/where you made the purchase, etc. and post back here. Sounds like others could use the info too.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:56 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Registry
I am attempting the same EXACT project! 83 Casita - rear window. Have the rubber felt 'stuff' installed (in the middle of the 3 tracks) and am wondering just exactly what you found to use as the 'rubber molding" that goes on the outside track... I'm at a total loss. Tonight I will attempt to pull out the entire window frame and replace it with the butyl tape. Any pointers, suggestions, etc. would be GREAT!
J Troxell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft 1984 and U-Haul CT13 1985
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Troxell View Post
I am attempting the same EXACT project! 83 Casita - rear window. Have the rubber felt 'stuff' installed (in the middle of the 3 tracks) and am wondering just exactly what you found to use as the 'rubber molding" that goes on the outside track...
I used part # 009-057 from Interstate Metal Fabricators on the outside groove of the window on our Casita's door. I think it would also work on the front/rear windows, but we haven't tried it there yet.

Interstate Metal Fabricators, Inc.
(under "rubber parts")

Good luck with your project - I'd love to hear how it goes!
Jeanne
Attached Thumbnails
2010 August 103.jpg   2010 August 105.jpg  

Jeanne and Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 01:15 PM   #13

Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Troxell View Post
I am attempting the same EXACT project! 83 Casita - rear window. Have the rubber felt 'stuff' installed (in the middle of the 3 tracks) and am wondering just exactly what you found to use as the 'rubber molding" that goes on the outside track... I'm at a total loss. Tonight I will attempt to pull out the entire window frame and replace it with the butyl tape. Any pointers, suggestions, etc. would be GREAT!
J, I am stuck on the same problem. I can not locate the rubber molding that goes in the track and I am hesitant to proceed any further with my project until I locate the molding. I am going to attempt to attach a photo of the product we are searching for in hope someone will recognize the molding and suggest a supplier.

The molding is about one half inch wide and one half inch high and oval shaped on top with a flat underside. The flat underside has a quarter inch deep groove in the middle.

I will let you know if I come up with anything and please do the same.

Thanks

steve
Attached Thumbnails
casita.jpg   casita 2.jpg  

Old 08-26-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
steve,

Could you post a photo of that molding "end on"? In other words, if you sliced a piece off, what would the inside of the slice look like?

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 PM   #15

Trailer: 1985 U-Haul CT13 ft ('The Mothball')
Steve,
I recently redid the windows in my Uhaul camper and posted about it in two posts. Different camper I know, but perhaps the posts may be helpful to you. Some of the parts being suggested are the ones that I used.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42722.html

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...dow-43188.html

Good luck,
Bridget
Bridget T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:16 AM   #16

Registry
Rubber Molding

When I removed the window (including Frame) I took it to a local window/glass company. They gave me a product they called R-100 to 'try'. It's not the fat 'puffy' molding that we are looking for - but worth a try, I guess. I will post with the results...

BUT... can someone tell me how THEIR window frame is attached? I was expecting at least a 4 screws or something similar, but mine is attached to the fiberglass with 13 rivets... then of course about 35 more rivets on the interior trim ring.. IS THIS okay- or just a 'jacked-up' job from a prior owner? Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #17

Arkansas
casita window

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raya L. View Post
steve,

Could you post a photo of that molding "end on"? In other words, if you sliced a piece off, what would the inside of the slice look like?

Raya
Raya, I was unable to slice a piece off as it just crumpled to dust when I applied pressure on the blade. I did attempt to get a picture of the end.
The outside edge of the window frame has two groves (or tracks) about one quarter inch wide with a metal edge between them about a quarter inch high.

The molding I pictured fits over the metal edge, flat part down, with each side lying in a metal track.
Attached Thumbnails
casita 3.jpg  
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #18

Registry
Maybe...

I will try to get an image of some of mine... It's the same stuff -- I'm not home right now -- maybe early in the morning...
Old 08-27-2010, 01:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact Jr
The Compact Jr uses hex-head screws thru the FG and into 3/4" wood trim on the interior.

The best sealant is what is used on automotive windshields
Dave Bese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:54 PM   #20

Registry
Well I have the window in... not exactly 100 percent confident it's totally correct, but for today it will be fine. I am going to keep tightening down the inside screws in hopes to make the butyl seal water tight. I am posting 3 images regarding the rubber molding that goes in the outside track. The first image is the diagram of the peice that I believe we are looking for... I can't seem to find anyone that still has it or sells it. The second and third images are "my' attempt in finding something similar that might work.. I have not tested my window with water yet.. going to be a few more days. The 'alternate' rubber molding was called R100 from the local window/glass company. It doesn't fit as tight as the original, but it's the best I can do right now.
Attached Images

Tags
casita