Casitas floor soaking wet ??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2016, 07:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Casitas floor soaking wet ???

Ok so here is the issue
We finally took our new to us 2000 casitas freedom .
I filled the fresh water tank as recommended.... We drove less than half hour to campground ( this was our shake down trip)... When we arrived we found floor soaking wet/
A basin in sink full... All of our pots & pans which were stored under sink/stove area full of water
So what do i do wrong.... Is there. Shutoff valve i overlooked
Would this have happened if the water pump switch was left on and the kitchen faucet opened ?
I m kinda stumped because we lost all of the water in fresh water tank
I guess this is why we did a shake down trip.... Is there a bypass for hot water heater
help we spent the night in what i could only call a swamp

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:26 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Hi, it does sound like the water pump was going on. Since the sink was full of water, either the faucet was left on or it has malfunctioned/broken.

Normally if the water pump is off this should not be able to happen.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 1998 Casita 17 SD
Alberta
Registry
My guess is that the pump was left on and probably the pressure blew a connection to the sink faucet. If the tap was left open, the sink drain should have just sent it to the grey tank. I would be checking all the pex connections and replace any that are leaking. Also check the water tank area as water can and will travel quite a way from the actual leak. Check that the pots and pans were not rubbing the water lines. about the only way to find the leak is to add more water and turn on the pump and be ready to turn off and open a tap to release the pressure. If it is a leak, the pump would run till it drained the tank.

Good luck and get out the sponges and a fan to dry it out

Sorry just saw the comment that the basin in the sink was full. Check your Faucets for leaks
Dudley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 04:33 AM   #4
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Most systems I've seen have a lighted pump switch somewhere near the faucet. If that switch was left on and the sink strainer was closed then it's possible road vibration could open the faucet. The water pump is activated by the low pressure when the faucet is open and will pump water until it runs out. I read of this happening to some folks with a pop-up, no gray water tank. Same ending. Make sure your pump switch has a built in light and check it as part of your " hit the road" list. Even with a lighted switch, it's easy to leave it on Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #5

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
It sounds like you had a basin in the sink. If that's the case, and faucet,plus pump switch was on the basin would fill up and dump much of the water over the edge of sink. More than what would go down the drain. The weight of the water in the basin would more than likely prevent water from going down the drain also. I keep a plastic basin in my sink also. Helps me monitor what goes into the gray tank.
Hook up the city water connection and check for leaks in the sink area. If you don't find any then partially fill fresh water tank, turn on pump and check for leaks. There is a bypass for the water heater on mine, but not sure on your year trailer. That wouldn't have any effect on water in the sink area. Please let us know what you find. Remember when hooked up to city water you don't need to use the pump. The pump is for the fresh water tank when you don't have city water hook ups. I've caught the wife turning on the pump when we were hooked up to city water a couple of times. Most of our camping is without hookups so it was force of habit. Do you have a lighted pump switch?
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 02:11 AM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan H View Post
Ok so here is the issue
We finally took our new to us 2000 casitas freedom .
I filled the fresh water tank as recommended.... We drove less than half hour to campground ( this was our shake down trip)... When we arrived we found floor soaking wet/
So what do i do wrong.... Is there. Shutoff valve i overlooked
Would this have happened if the water pump switch was left on and the kitchen faucet opened ?
I m kinda stumped because we lost all of the water in fresh water tank
I guess this is why we did a shake down trip.... Is there a bypass for hot water heater
help we spent the night in what i could only call a swamp
Kind of wonder what you've found Alan. You don't have any inline shutoff for the water to the faucets, only a bypass to the water heater. I have left the switch on by accident also and traveled many miles with no problems. The only thing I can think of that may have caused the faucet to flow would be a single handle unit and something fell/moved over against it causing it to open a bit for flow. Once the grey tank and sink bowl are full the floor is next. I know of a couple guys towing their dune buggies on the ground with tow bars behind MHs that loaded up the cars with extras. Things moved around and knocked the shifter into gear.....totally tore up the trannys.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #7

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
I figured it out
A) pump was left on
sink faucet was opened
C) small leak on faucet connections
D) takes forever to dry out carpet
E) lesson learned is to change out pump switch w/ indicator light
And recheck plumbing regularly

alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:48 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
To be foolproof, I would need a pump switch with an alarm that goes off after 1 minute. I forget that switch waaaay too often.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Little House Customs has just what you need!
Attached Thumbnails
Switch.JPG  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:59 PM   #10

Name: Wally
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Little House Customs has just what you need!
They have one for the hot water heater also while you're at it.
Craven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
casita