Cat Question - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-16-2007, 04:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
We want to include our cat, Edward, on our travel experiences. He's OK in the truck and so far only a little traumatized by the trailer, but we're wondering how others manage the logistics. Where do you put the litter box. In the shower is out because of the door, and under the bed is not exactly an attractive option. Any ingenious ideas out there we can steal . . . sorry, borrow? I've seen the pics so I know others have feline friends, just wondering how you cope.
Cheers
Ian and Vicki (and Ed )
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Whatever you do, don't leave the cat or dog at home. They can be just like teens with their parents out of town, getting into all sorts of trouble.
Attached Thumbnails
drunk_dog.jpg   FlashBarf02.jpg  

MingBud.JPG  
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 05:58 PM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
Sorry, I have no idea what to do with a cat.

I thought you had a Scamp, Pete? The bookends in that trio look like Burro WideBodies to me. I'm confused.
Per, Kathy, and Maja the Buhund
Attached Thumbnails
Maja_sleeping.jpg  
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 06:44 PM   #4

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Robert and I leave our cats home.

But our Friends Bob and Roger made a place for the Litter Box under their big bed. They also modified a baby's crib with a lid made out of 1/4" plywood panels, that is big enough to include a litter box, and food and water dishes, so the cats can be "outdoors".
Attached Thumbnails
000_0647.jpg  
Old 08-16-2007, 06:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
We have traveled with one cat, and moved the litter box between the back of the van (while moving, for convenient access for the cat...) and the trailer (when camped). We've tried it both under the extended gaucho and under the dinette table. The table location works because it's a four-seater dinette and there are only two of us, so pushed all the way in it's not in the way.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #6

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
We have a cat and he's traveled with us since 10 weeks old .. We have a Liberty trailer and we carry two litter boxes. One smaller one that we leave in the van when we travel - all set to travel with Jerry. We also carry in the van , two small plastic margarine containers - one with food, and the other with water.

The second litter box in the trailer sits (usually) right at the front entrance under the closet door. We move it outside when he's on his harness and leash. We also use a pet stroller and Jerry jumps right in. He knows he gets to go too.

Don't be afraid to bring your cat.. Although it might take awhile to get him use to traveling, it should work out real good.. it makes our trip more enjoyable to know where Jerry is - not worrying about him at home.

Jerry loves the trailer - we have a shelf at the back of our trailer and he loves to be up there. At night he sleeps wherever he wants - cuddled with me or Jim, sleeping on the shelf or? It all works out.

Here he is between our twin beds in our Liberty. Good night Jerry.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0055.JPG
Views:	99
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	9546
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Miss Bailey travels in a pet carrier in the back seat of the truck when we are underway. We put her in the trailer with the litter box, food and water when we stop along the way so she has a "potty break". We keep a covered litter box (the same one she uses at home) on the floor in front of the closet. Not ideal, but it works.

She uses a harness and leash when we are in the campground and we position it so she can get in and out of the trailer at will and keep a close eye on her so that she does not become entangled. She is an escape artist and has gone on a few unplanned sojourns to the bushes, but she has always come back...so far.

Vivian
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 10:18 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Quote:
that is big enough to include a litter box, and food and water dishes,
Fred.. did you take a picture of the "Bed"?

These dang cats SLEEP in the clever litter box.. which is a medium sized toolbox with a lid they can pick up and transport easily.

BUT.. the hairy one sleeps in it too!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:02 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
...We also carry in the van , two small plastic margarine containers - one with food, and the other with water...
Good point! We do the same thing, although with clear reusable storage containers. Being able to snap the lid on them for driving, and just pull the lid off and use the container itself as a dish is very convenient. We actually use three containers: dry foot, canned food, and water. They go between the van and trailer with the cat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 12:53 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler
Quote:
We want to include our cat, Edward, on our travel experiences. He's OK in the truck and so far only a little traumatized by the trailer, but we're wondering how others manage the logistics. Where do you put the litter box. In the shower is out because of the door, and under the bed is not exactly an attractive option. Any ingenious ideas out there we can steal . . . sorry, borrow? I've seen the pics so I know others have feline friends, just wondering how you cope.
Cheers
Ian and Vicki (and Ed )
I have a 10 year old siamese.. I travel everywhere with her, take her on the plane, drives across Canada - she is exceptional. For the litter box, I use a tuperware tub with a lid and store it under the table. The lid is good so that when you are eating you can put the lid on and sit your feet on it need be. Plus you can leave it in your camper (one less thing to pack) I use the yesterday's news kitty litter - really doesn't let out an odor.
ErinLeighRobichaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:01 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
Shelia is a camping cat too. I have a litter box behind my truck seat for travel and she has a carseat that is window level. The litter box is under the bed in a wicker basket beside her cat door and bowls.

Please take Edward. He will learn to love it all and give you lots of laughs and good company.

Click image for larger version

Name:	CAT_DOOR_INSIDE_CASITA.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	9549
Attached Thumbnails
FGRV_SE_RALLIE_060001.JPG  
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 02:53 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 17 ft Casita Liberty Deluxe
Hi Susan

Sheila is the only cat we've ever seen like her, that is, until our neigbors moved in down the street. Last week the owners came to our door with a sign and asking that we watch for their cat. They are offering $1,000 for her return.

It's so sad... they love her so much and it has been a week now... (Terrible part of it - we live in a Coyote area) Jim and I have watch every day and night for her - we don't want the reward - just her return to some really nice people that love her.
CarolnJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 04:54 PM   #13

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I've noticed a lot of 'missing cat' signs here on Bainbridge Island WA and presumed it was coyotes as some are occasionally seen. However, talking to a neighbor and her friend who does tree work reveals that it may also be eagles! He helped take down a severely damaged tree with an eagle nest in it and they found six DOG collars, one of with had the name Pookie on it
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:03 AM   #14

Trailer: 17 ft Burro Widebody / 2007 Ford Ranger
Thanks to all who replied. We have gathered the gear necessary to make Edward a travel cat and he is (unknowingly) going to make his camping debut in September at Fort Langley. Since he doesn't roam too far when he's at hme, I doubt he will become a wild adventurer at a campsite, but we'll still keep him away from eagles. Thanks for the heads-up, Pete.
cheers
Ian
Ian-Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote