Caution trailer brakes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-27-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Caution trailer brakes

It was 40 degrees out today so I decided to pull the wheels off the passenger side of my trailer so I could take them in for tire replacement
When I got the wheels removed (Dual axle) , I notice 2 blue wires hanging in mid air by one wheel . The brake connections had broken at the crimp sleeves
Not a difficult fix but if I had not pulled the wheels I may never have found the problem
I will now add checking the brake wiring to my Spring / Fall maintenance schedule
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Here in Virginia we must have a safety inspection each year if the trailer has brakes. They check lights, brakes and emergency disconnect switch.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

An ease way to do a check is with a compass. You have someone activate the brakes and you place a compass near the hub and if the electro magnets are energized, the compass needle will move.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:23 PM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Silver Cloud -1988
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
Glad you found the faulty brakes before the first trip!
Kevin A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:57 PM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin A View Post
Glad you found the faulty brakes before the first trip!
Thank You — We have our first trip planned for May 2021 but it is contingent on us getting our Covid vaccination shots - So far it doesn’t look promising
We were #300 on the list in late January and as of last Friday we had moved up the list to # 270
All we can do is wait and hope
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 06:58 PM   #6

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
One thing I like about the P3 is the current readout on the dash. If you are used to the brake setup you will immediately know it a brake is not making connection.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 09:21 PM   #7

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
One thing I like about the P3 is the current readout on the dash. If you are used to the brake setup you will immediately know it a brake is not making connection.
Its even better than that.. you don't even need to go to the display of current (or voltage) because the P3 (and maybe P2 also?) will show an error condition in the situation with the broken wire that the OP described.
Attached Thumbnails
P3ManualPage10.jpg  
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:12 PM   #8

Name: John
Trailer: Roamer 1
Smith Valley, Nevada
Gordon,
Will that show if one out of four is disconnected? Or is it more an indicator that the plug is not connected?

Darwin,
How does the inspector know all four brakes are working? I like the compass idea. That is beautifully simple.
Old 02-28-2021, 07:44 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The P2 Prodigy controllers pulse the line. If you sit in the trailer quietly you can hear it. I believe they look for a current draw. Since the controller can be used for multiple axles, they all would need to be open to get the n.c. reading. Unlike the P3, a numerical reading is voltage.

But, if you know the magnet current, by placing an ammeter between the 12 volt pin and the brake line pin on the 7 pin socket, you can determine if all your magnets are connected. For example, my single axle brake magnets draw a nominal 2.5 A. each. Ideally I should read 5.0 A. Typically, I get a little less depending on the trailer battery charge and how long I leave the magnets connected. Since Dexter doesn't specify what voltage was used, I assume any reading above 4.25 A., things are good. Of course the condition of the magnets requires inspection. A good argument for periodic servicing.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:03 AM   #10

Smith Valley, Nevada
Raz, It seems all, or many modern trucks, with built in brake controllers use the same strategy to prove the trailer brakes are connected. A pulsed voltage is sent down the line about once per second looking for a complete circuit instead of an open circuit. This caused me some trouble on the Black Series trailer because it flashed the tail lights. It looked sort of like the flashers were on, all the time. I tried a couple of ways to make it stop, and finally re-wired the brake circuit from the tongue back and snipped off the factory wiring back near the axles.

It seems the brake test pulses were feeding back through the breakaway battery, through diodes connecting it to the lighting circuit, and firing the LED tail lights. I removed the breakaway battery, its charger and the interconnecting diodes, to simplify the system. Now the breakaway system is powered by the house batteries, which are always connected to the tow when the trailer is connected to the tow.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:13 AM   #11

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
Once you have basically measured your at rest brake current you can compare each time you hook up and for that matter when you are stopped.
It will let you know if the brakes are not connected, which has warned me several times when corrosion has interrupted the connection in my LED adapter cable.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:14 AM   #12

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Testing brake wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
I will now add checking the brake wiring to my Spring / Fall maintenance schedule

Measuring current will let you know if the wiring is good. Connect the amp meter from the 12-volt pin to the brake pin and you should measure the full current of the brakes.
Mine is a single axle and the 10-amp max meter works for me. If you have a tandem axle you will need a bigger meter.
Attached Thumbnails
BRAKE I.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:31 AM   #13

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Good to know and easy to do.
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:32 AM   #14

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Gordon,
Will that show if one out of four is disconnected? Or is it more an indicator that the plug is not connected?
Thats a good question and I am not sure enough to say.
However as others have pointed out, the P3 does have screens to display voltage or current (amps). So if you check the readings when stopped, and later at stop you check again and the current is 3/4 of the original value or less, then that would be a good clue that at least one brakes were not connected.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raspy View Post
Gordon,

Darwin,
How does the inspector know all four brakes are working? I like the compass idea. That is beautifully simple.
Test it at each hub.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:02 PM   #16

Me, I use the gravel test.
B 4 Going on a trip I go forward and lock the camper brakes and and the wheels will dig into the gravel. Once on pavement, I burn off the winter rust to insure I have good brakes.
Old 02-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trail Cruiser
Alberta
Been there Darwin, done that LOL
Mike_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 01:09 PM   #18

Smith Valley, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
Me, I use the gravel test.
B 4 Going on a trip I go forward and lock the camper brakes and and the wheels will dig into the gravel. Once on pavement, I burn off the winter rust to insure I have good brakes.
I do the same thing, every time we leave.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #19
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
When measuring the current, I suggest metal strips inserted into the socket. This will avoid pitting damage to the socket conductors. I've used old double sided pc board or folded strips of roofing tin.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 02:07 PM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I like the compass idea, or use your new clamp on AC/DC ammeter. You can't take your money with you, and your heirs would love to have one!

https://www.amazon.com/Fluke-Clamp-M...s%2C185&sr=8-5

Tags
brakes