CB Antenna - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2020, 11:56 AM   #1

Name: RJ
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13'
North Carolina
CB Antenna

Since CB is making a come back, and the airwaves are for the most part wide-open now, I've decided to put a CB in my camper, and will monitor the "Camper/RV Channel 13", when camping.

In my TV I use a mobile CB when traveling. While channel 19 can be busy with truckers, it has indeed served me well keeping me informed on road hazards and conditions. More than once, I've avoided multi-hour delays on Interstates by listening to the advise of the truckers, suggesting otherwise unknown temporary back roads.

The questions I have for my 13' Burro CB radio;

What antenna do I need?

How, where, or do I even, mount an antenna?

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions and ideas!
RJnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 12:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I have my Campster set up for ham radio but am also thinking about getting a CB radio for special events where not everyone is licensed.

Mounting an antenna on a fiberglass trailer is a challenge because of lack of metal for the ground plane. I have a pole on the tongue grounded to the frame that works for 2m, 70cm, and sometimes HF bands. CB is in the HF bands. For some bands, I put the antenna on the car using a mag mount base and run the coax from there to the traiker.

In my research, I considered a base type antenna that would have it's own ground plane. The one below might work but it looks like it uses the coax as part of the antenna and has mixed reviews. I found other brands that look identical.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CB-Base-...hoCl78QAvD_BwE

I found a weatherproof bulkhead connector that I used to run the coax into the trailer.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Marine antenna for CB

If you can find a Shakespeare 4051 Classic Little Giant™ CB Marine Antenna at a reasonable price that one could be mounted on top of the trailer. There's one on Ebay you can bid on.

Something to try: Mount a regular CB antenna to the AC, that might work good enough. The base would need metal to metal contact with the AC. It might just be enough for a ground plane. If the SWR is less than 3, that will do unless you are running more than 50 watts.

I think I still have one of the old Sailboat antennas, if interested I'll look thru my collection and see if I can find it.

Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #4

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Antenna mounts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJnNC View Post

How, where, or do I even, mount an antenna?

I'm looking forward to hearing your suggestions and ideas!
Can’t see an awning in you picture, but for those that have an awning, I used that as the ground plane. I installed a plate on each of the three awning mounts and have a different antenna mount on each. The aircraft antenna was planned for AM/FM but worked for 144 Mhz as well. The plates came from Menards.
Attached Thumbnails
10 antenna mounts 3.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 03:21 AM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
I just figure if I am talking on the CB I would most likely be in the tow vehicle so that is where I would want it to be mounted. If I wanted to use it when not driving then I would just go and sit in the car. But I suppose if one wants to listen to it for long hours for the entertainment value then having one in the trailer would be desirable.

Hobbies on the road are worth taking extra steps to make them possible. Got to have some fun besides just looking around at stuff and poking at a camp fire to keep it going although for some that is actually sufficient fun, very relaxing.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:36 AM   #6

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Fish View Post
I have my Campster set up for ham radio but am also thinking about getting a CB radio for special events where not everyone is licensed.

Mounting an antenna on a fiberglass trailer is a challenge because of lack of metal for the ground plane. I have a pole on the tongue grounded to the frame that works for 2m, 70cm, and sometimes HF bands. CB is in the HF bands. For some bands, I put the antenna on the car using a mag mount base and run the coax from there to the traiker.

In my research, I considered a base type antenna that would have it's own ground plane. The one below might work but it looks like it uses the coax as part of the antenna and has mixed reviews. I found other brands that look identical.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/CB-Base-...hoCl78QAvD_BwE

I found a weatherproof bulkhead connector that I used to run the coax into the trailer.
Thanks Dave. I like how compact that antenna is. If I can come up with some kind of a portable push-up mast (?), I’d like to go with that.

Originally, I had thought of just using a magnet mount mobile antenna and setting it on top of the car. But being a committed “Barefoot” Cber, not using extra power, I feel the need to put a good antenna up high.

If you have any ideas on a portable push-up mast, I’d sure appreciate hearing about one!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:38 AM   #7

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friz View Post
If you can find a Shakespeare 4051 Classic Little Giant™ CB Marine Antenna at a reasonable price that one could be mounted on top of the trailer. There's one on Ebay you can bid on.

Something to try: Mount a regular CB antenna to the AC, that might work good enough. The base would need metal to metal contact with the AC. It might just be enough for a ground plane. If the SWR is less than 3, that will do unless you are running more than 50 watts.

I think I still have one of the old Sailboat antennas, if interested I'll look thru my collection and see if I can find it.

Thanks Friz, I don’t have any metal on top of my camper to use as a ground plane, and I hadn’t thought about a marine antenna.

The one you suggested looks like a good choice for FGRV’s. I won’t be using any extra power so I’ll need height for my CB antenna if I can find some kind of push-up pole to mount it on.
Old 03-11-2020, 11:39 AM   #8

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC0GV View Post
Can’t see an awning in you picture, but for those that have an awning, I used that as the ground plane. I installed a plate on each of the three awning mounts and have a different antenna mount on each. The aircraft antenna was planned for AM/FM but worked for 144 Mhz as well. The plates came from Menards.
Thanks ACOGV. Smart idea… Kenneth, I like how you think!
Old 03-11-2020, 11:40 AM   #9

North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
I just figure if I am talking on the CB I would most likely be in the tow vehicle so that is where I would want it to be mounted. If I wanted to use it when not driving then I would just go and sit in the car. But I suppose if one wants to listen to it for long hours for the entertainment value then having one in the trailer would be desirable.

Hobbies on the road are worth taking extra steps to make them possible. Got to have some fun besides just looking around at stuff and poking at a camp fire to keep it going although for some that is actually sufficient fun, very relaxing.
Thanks KC, I highly agree with what you said; “Hobbies on the road are worth taking extra steps to make them possible.”
Old 03-11-2020, 12:30 PM   #10

Name: Kenneth
Trailer: Scamp
Wisconsin
Registry
Push up

Quote:
If you have any ideas on a portable push-up mast, I’d sure appreciate hearing about one!
I use this for 2mtr ham radio beam and dual band omni-directional antenna. It fits the tow vehicle also.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1190.jpg  
AC0GV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
My push up mast is a three-piece aluminum awning pole. It sets over what used to be the threaded pole for the propane tanks, but something like that could be clamped to the frame. Two sections puts the base of my 2m antenna above the roof line. I added a braided ground strap from the base of the antenna to the trailer frame.
Quote:
Thanks Dave. I like how compact that antenna is. If I can come up with some kind of a portable push-up mast (?), I’d like to go with that.

Originally, I had thought of just using a magnet mount mobile antenna and setting it on top of the car. But being a committed “Barefoot” Cber, not using extra power, I feel the need to put a good antenna up high.

Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 07:23 PM   #12

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
Home Depot & Lowes have telescoping plastic or fiberglass poles for cleaning brushes. Also 3 piece broom handle.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 11:02 AM   #13

Name: Pete
Trailer: Burro Wide Body 17ft.
Nebraska
A couple of years ago I found a portable CB unit brand new, still in the box, complete with magnetic antenna for $5.00 at a yard sale. Slapped on the antenna on roof, plugged into cigarette lighter. Works. The nice thing about the portable is that you can switch it to other vehicles.
Pete J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 03:25 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I never put an antenna on our trailer. I did install one on our SUV tug. It was a mast that mounted on a pad stuck on the rear side window. On the inside of the glass was another peel and stick pad with the coax connection for the cable that went to the CB.
We often went on RV club caravans an it was a very good way to communicate. Most caravans were 12 to 20 rigs. That type of antenna would be worth a try on a trailer. That was about 9 years ago.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 04:30 PM   #15

Name: Old Viking 38
Trailer: Bigfoot 29Sl Motor Home
Arizona
CB Antenna

You may want to consider installing a galvanized sheet metal plate 12” X 12” on the roof of your fiberglass camper for a ground plane using a magnetic mount CB or 2 Meter Ham antenna. I attached the plate with silicone adhesive to the roof should I want to remove it at some point, while not putting screw holes in my roof. I installed a 24 X 24” plate on my Bigfoot 29SL motor home over 10 years ago using it for both CB and 440 CM and 2 meter ham radios. I run 50 Watts on my ham radio! It works well and is easily removed should I choose to do so. Another inexpensive option. Mag mounts work very well.
dschase is offline   Reply With Quote