Certified RVT within 3 hours of Rice, TX? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Name: Elena-Sophia
Trailer: Casita SD17
California
Certified RVT within 3 hours of Rice, TX?

We are looking for a certified Recreational Vehicle Technician (person or company) with experience working on fiberglass trailers near the Casita factory in Rice, TX. Anywhere within a 2 to 3 hour drive would be fine!

Can you recommend anyone?

We had hoped to have the work we need done by Little House Customs, but since Larry Gamble retired, while the company continues to supply parts, it no longer does service work. And LittleHomeOnTheRoad doesn't have RVTs on staff.

The work we want done involves mounting a new counter onto the existing fiberglass kitchen counter, cutting out an opening for and installing a larger and deeper sink, and replacing the existing cooktop with a new one.

There are, we know, many RV service places in the Dallas-Forth Worth area, to the north of Rice, TX, but they advertise their experience with stick-built trailers and Class A,B, and C RVs. The work we need done requires expertise in, or at minimum some experience with, fiberglass RVs.

Any help is most welcome!
Elena-sophia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:28 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Might consider checking out a boat shop - they do fiberglass work.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 01:44 PM   #3

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Might consider checking out a boat shop - they do fiberglass work.
Yes, we'll do that if we have to. There are many marine repair places in our home area, and I can get reliable recommendations when we get the Casita home.

But I'd like to have the fiberglass and propane work done before we take the trailer on the long trip home so that I don't have to suffer from a marginal kitchen while we're camping. I have painful memories of cooking in our Casita SD 17's kitchen and would like to avoid repeating that experience even for only a few weeks!
Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #4

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Wink Casita Repairs

Not sure if the moderators will let me post it here, but "Little Home on the Road" was friends of Larrys if I am not to far off base. They are north of Ft. Worth in the small town of Haslet, Tx. About 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. from Rice, Tx. They also have connections with Orbital Machine Works that made parts for Larry. I have had my trailer over there once for a water leak around the power vent. Made an appt. and they were waiting for me. Jumped right on it and and finished in short order and for less money than they had estimated. Been 1 1/2 yrs. and still no leaks. I think they mainly work on Casitas. Call and tell them what you want done and they will give you an estimate before you decide. If I have any more problems of any kind, that is where I will take it.
https://littlehomeontheroad.com
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 12:14 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
Not sure if the moderators will let me post it here, but "Little Home on the Road" was friends of Larrys if I am not to far off base. They are north of Ft. Worth in the small town of Haslet, Tx. About 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. from Rice, Tx. They also have connections with Orbital Machine Works that made parts for Larry. I have had my trailer over there once for a water leak around the power vent. Made an appt. and they were waiting for me. Jumped right on it and and finished in short order and for less money than they had estimated. Been 1 1/2 yrs. and still no leaks. I think they mainly work on Casitas. Call and tell them what you want done and they will give you an estimate before you decide. If I have any more problems of any kind, that is where I will take it.
Yes, I do know about them (see my original post) and we have an appointment with them a day after we get our Casita for other modifications and improvements. But I've seen nothing on their website to indicate that anyone on their team is an RVT or is certified by the Texas Railroad Commission to do propane work. And as the work we need done is the removal and replacement of the propane cooktop, fiberglass experience alone isn't enough.

I do have a call into them to ask the RVT question but haven't yet heard back.
Old 11-20-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
How is cooking on the original stove, rather than a replacement, considered marginal? As Charlie said, I think a boat shop would be your best choice. I can't imagine any RV shop taking on the job of remodeling a new Casita. From what I've read, most of those type modifications are done by the trailer's owners. If I was having someone else do it, I would want the work done close to home. Good luck.
Jimmy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 06:50 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmad1 View Post
FWIW, Little House Customs, (Larry Gamble's shop which is no longer in operation since he retired,) and Little Home on the Road, (aka Orbital Machine works,) are two totally separate and unrelated businesses. Larry closed the shop, but his kids have taken over operations of the store, which is still doing a thriving business. Larry used to buy some components from OMW, but the two are completely separate businesses.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote