Changing interior height? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2011, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
Changing interior height?

All

I haven't been on here lately as I sold my trillium. I did find an old Gypsy Mark II fiberglass trailer for $100 that somebody was using as a garden shed. It has been stripped inside (benches cut out, stove/sink cupboard gone/outfitted with shelving units) but it still has the closet, as well as the molded cupboards.

The floor is completely gone, the guy cut it out and used some lumber to make a new floor (just wood, no fiberglass covering).

My question is that when I stand in it, my head just touches the roof. If I have to redo the floor anyways, why can't I "create" new headspace by raising the trailer? Creating a new floor and fiberglassing it into the existing trailer should be the same if I am putting it back to stock, or adding an inch or two.

Before someone asks for pics, it looks just like the fiberglass gypsy trailer that Bill Boone bought. Except it looks like a bomb went off inside and took everything with it.

I assume someone has done this before, the search function is not being kind to me right now. Just wondering if anyone has increased interior height when they were rebuilding the floor.
Steve Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 06:46 PM   #2

Name: Jason
Trailer: 2007 Eggcamper & Homemade Tear Drop
New York
Registry
You might be able to do a drop floor easier in part of the trailer in front of the axle.
kirkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:15 AM   #3

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Adding height idea...... by 'Sectioning'
Ahhhh, I remember my days as a hot rodder, we Channeled, Sectioned and Chopped tops to get that low fast look...

Well, Steve, let's apply some of what we learned as hot rodders.... in reverse. Let's see how you can SECTION IN REVERSE. We use to take out 4" to 6" to lower the body, why don't you ADD A SECTION of fiberglass as a belly band type thing ???

Doc the boonDOCer @ campfrugal
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 12:36 PM   #4

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Add 6" at the center seam.Click image for larger version

Name:	05164bf60a0a006400c22978d740db89.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	37943
You would have to rework the door.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

IMHO it would be much easier to install a sunken floor in the section you would stand up in.

But, my question for all these persons who are concerned about "head room" is, "How long do you plan to stand in your tailer?" The only time I stand in mine is when I am doing the dishes in the sink or cooking at the stove.

Even sleeping, I usually bring my knees up somewhat so I don't even use the whole width.

NB: I am 6' tall.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:45 AM   #6

Name: Doc
Trailer: TrailsWest CAMPSTER 1970
Washington
Adding height idea....
Well, how about just doing dishes and cooking while sitting on a stool.
Head room solved.
Doc the boonDOCer
campfrugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
It will be easier to add space at the bottom as there is no floor in the trailer right now. I sure won't be adding 6 inches, but when I stand up in the trailer I hit the roof, so it would piss me off each and every time I stand in the trailer. I need to do something.

I was just putting a feeler out there to see if someone else did this when redoing the floor. Sounds like a no.

I won't be starting this project for a while

Steve
Steve Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #8

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
Maybe you should be the first one to try it. Document it with pix and post them. We have enjoyed the saga of the the trailer that his having additional length added; we would enjoy the story of adding height, and others who own height-challenging trailers might benefit.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:29 AM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul CT13 ('Pearl')
Go to the teardrop trailer site. Most of the homebuilt trailers have dropped floors for storage or foot space.
Pat B Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote