Checking brake lights - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2018, 01:27 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: Scamp
Michigan
Checking brake lights

Any ideas on how a solo camper can tell whether or not his/her brake lights are working after hooking up in the day time? If my turn signal lights and my safety flasher are working, can I assume that my brake lights are also functioning?
Postman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:34 PM   #2

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
If you have a folding chair, put a white towel over the back and position it behind the taillight but beyond the side of the trailer so you can see it in the side mirror. Hit the brakes and you should see the red glow. Repeat for the other side.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:35 PM   #3

Name: David
Trailer: 2013 Scamp 13 S1 BB
IL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Any ideas on how a solo camper can tell whether or not his/her brake lights are working after hooking up in the day time? If my turn signal lights and my safety flasher are working, can I assume that my brake lights are also functioning?
Since the turn signals and the brake lights are essentially the same bulb you can assume that if the turn signal works and the parking lights work, the brake lights should do. I somethings wedge something between the brake and the seat to check the brakes that way. A stick or a hiking pole, etc.
Gompka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 02:21 PM   #4

Michigan
Good idea, Alex! Why didn't I think of that?

Sounds a little complicated, Gompka, but I'll try it if the towel and chair method doesn't work.

Thanks for your input!
Old 04-26-2018, 02:31 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Our Uhaul is wired so that there are amber turn lights and red stop lights, different bulbs. In the truck shops I worked in we had a simple device to hold down a clutch or brake pedal, basically a 3 foot long, 1" or so diameter pipe, with a flat metal piece about 6" long, 3" wide, with a slightly larger than the pipe hole near one end. Rubber "crutch" tips on the pipe ends. Push pedal down with the pipe, slide the flat piece against the seat, it tips back and locks, pedal stays down. Could be made out of wood easily if only used to hold a little pressure on the brake pedal. Or you could buy one.

Edit; a few different types on eBay for $30 to $40. truck pedal depressor
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 03:09 PM   #6

Michigan
Thanks for the "blueprint," Mary and Bob!
Old 04-26-2018, 03:35 PM   #7

Registry
If I have to check by myself I turn the "hazard" flashing lights. And the head lights. The hazard lights are the same lights as the brake lights. The head lights will tell me if the tail lights are working along with checking the side running lights.
Old 04-26-2018, 03:56 PM   #8

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Postman View Post
Thanks for the "blueprint," Mary and Bob!
Hope my description made sense. I don't have one to take a picture of, but there is one like what I described on eBay.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:05 AM   #9

Name: Liz and John
Trailer: casita
Texas
One of the things you are checking is to see whether your brake light switch (that is, the switch attached to the brake pedal) is operational. Just because your bulbs are good does not mean you have brake lights, so you'll have to actually depress the pedal and see if that makes the lights come on.

I just use a piece of broomstick cut to the right length and wedge it between the front of the driver's seat and the pedal. It usually doesn't take too much pressure (maybe and inch or so), so the broomstick doesn't have to be wedged in there hard enough to hurt the seat.

Johnny
montliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 11:07 AM   #10

Trailer: 78 Trillium 13 ft / 2003 F150
Hi,

I second Byron's method.

I turn on running lights and check all the way around the trailer.
Then I turn on the emergency flashers to check the brake light/turn
indicators on the Trillium... Very simple.

The two walk arounds also give me a chance to look around the
hitch, chains, and tow vehicle for a final check before hitting the road.

Larry H
Larry C Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #11

Name: charles
Trailer: casita
Alabama
If your tow vehicle has a fob, by pressing unlock the town vehicle tail lights come on and the trailer lights also. I don't know if the brake lights flash by using this method but worth a try.
terrell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
light, lights