Checklist in Apple Notes - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM   #1

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Checklist in Apple Notes

Not sure where to put this thread, so if it should be somewhere else please let me know.

I want to make a checklist of every single thing I have in the TV and TT, and categorized by location in the vehicle. The killer is that I want it to be searchable. In other words I want to be able to search for a particular item, no matter where it might be located. My thought is to use Apple Notes, which seems to do what I want. I have an iPhone and a MacBook Pro and want to stay with these.

I have download a couple of checklists as a place to start but nothing allows for searching, and on I can't even change or add to the list. I don't want to start a long list then find out there is a better way to do it, or a find checklist already out there that does the job.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #2

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
Apple Notes should do what you want. I use other apps for this purpose, but these are paid apps that I got for my work.

A couple of comments on using Apple Notes. First create folders to put your notes in. That helps you find things. I have folders called Computer/Phone, Medical, Ollie (my trailer is an Oliver), Photography, Travel, TV/Movies.
Rzbrn, my second suggestion it to create a separate Note for each storage location, and use that as the Title of the Note, because Titles show up in a unique ways in the app. For example Big Blue Plastic Box could be the title of the note listing the contents of that box. Then when you search for Hose, the title of Big Blue Plastic Box shows right up.

Finally, I suggest all RVer's use the Notes app (there probably is a similar app on Androids) to make a Note with frequently used info. On my phone this note is called Trailer, and it includes the license plate numbers for tow vehicle and trailer, height to top of the AC on the trailer (vertical clearance), tire pressure and lug nut torque requirements, etc.

I also put in this note anything I had to look up more then once. For example, how to use the trailer microwave at less than 100% power, and how to prevent the screen on my audiobook app (Bookmobile) from going to sleep.
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 10:20 AM   #3

Tennessee
Thank you very much David. This is exactly the information I need.
Old 11-25-2019, 10:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Great idea! I especially like the FAQ folder since EVERY SINGLE TRIP calls for looking up something we can’t remember— the above list and more, such as how far to back off the sway bar lever once snug. And which is the notebook we wrote that in? Every single time!
Thanks
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #5

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
You can also use a Word program "Search" to "replace" words...it'll help you find what you're looking for even in a huge document, and then you don't have to "replace" anything.

"K"
Old 11-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #6

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
You can also use a Word program "Search" to "replace" words...it'll help you find what you're looking for even in a huge document, and then you don't have to "replace" anything.

"K"
K, could it be that you are talking about a Word Doc, not an Apple Pages document?
Not sure how to do a search in a Pages document:
So I pull up a multi "page" PAGES document (that is, an Apple Pages document). There is no "search" field that I can find.

However, using Notes (Apple) I can do a search as David suggested. I just tested it.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:50 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
my friend uses "Evernote". It will do what you are attempting to have happen. There are videos showing how to do different functions

https://evernote.com/

Lots of videos on youtube showing how to use it for checklist, to-do list, inventory lists, etc. Not just for everyday stuff at home a lot of business professionals also use it to keep projects organized and on task.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:53 PM   #8

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
my friend uses "Evernote". It will do what you are attempting to have happen.
Thank you KC I will check it out.

Ok I checked Evernote out. Here is a interesting comparison between Evernote and Apple Note:
https://www.macstories.net/reviews/e...h-apple-notes/

I will stick with Apple Note, 1 I just need something simple and 2 it is free
Old 11-25-2019, 01:22 PM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Yes, it's a function in Word Documents. You're right it's not a "file." It's up on the right on the task bar. It's how I've edited large documents in the past; I don't know how to use the various newer products, nor do I expect I'll be able to learn them.

Just a work-around for someone who wants to pinpoint certain words and phrases to check on a large list...it works fine for me and might help someone else.

"K"
Old 11-25-2019, 03:05 PM   #10

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
On my PC running Micro$oft Win 10, I use LibreOffice. It’s a free office suite that (among others) produces Micro$oft Word compatible documents and Micro$oft Excel compatible spreadsheets/workbooks.

Using the LibreOffice Calc application I have created a multitab spreadsheet/workbook that contains a sheet where I log my Casita’s utilization and mileage, a sheet that contains a list of improvements (aka, “tweaks”) and a sheet that is my “pre flight” checklist. Each of those sheets contain multiple columns and each sheet is searchable.

LibreOffice is available for Linux and Mac OS X operating systems. It is not available for iPhone and Android but I am able to port the spreadsheet/workbook to my Android phone where I use the Hancom Office 2014 to access the data. I presume that there is probably a similar app for iPhone.
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 05:18 PM   #11

Name: Denton
Trailer: shopping
New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Yes, it's a function in Word Documents. You're right it's not a "file." It's up on the right on the task bar. It's how I've edited large documents in the past; I don't know how to use the various newer products, nor do I expect I'll be able to learn them.

Just a work-around for someone who wants to pinpoint certain words and phrases to check on a large list...it works fine for me and might help someone else.

"K"
Ctrl-F will bring up the search function in all kinds of programs/documents, including MS Office programs and PDFs.

If you have MS Office, you also have OneNote, which is a similar note-taker to Evernote, and included free with Office.
denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:17 PM   #12

Name: David
Trailer: Oliver
Utah
I agree that Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and many other computer programs have robust search functions. However, I think the original posters question was about a smartphone app. If I want to find my 50 amp to 30 amp adaptor, I don't want to pull out my laptop; I want to use my phone.

I use the Notes app from Apple because it works on both a computers and a phone, and it is very easy to use. More importantly, if you have an iCloud account, the information seamlessly and automatically syncs between the two devices.

Why do I want the info on both my phone and my computer? When camping, I definitely want to access the info on my phone. There are times when I want to access the info on my computer, especially when I want to add a bunch of new info, as the computer has a bunch of other documents or emails with info that I want to copy/paste. Also, for me, the computer has a much better keyboard.

I have used Evernote and OneNote, both of which work on both computers and smartphones, and can sync between the two platforms. My experience was that they were much less intuitive to use, and that it was not trivial to set up the syncing between devices. In fairness, it has been a number of years since I last used Evernote or OneNote, and there probably have been improvements in the software.

I want to share two other features of Notes that I have found particularly useful.

In Notes, I create a Trip Summary before any trip. Last year we went to the Inyan Rally, which involved reservations at four different campgrounds. Although I have confirmation emails on my phone, it is a minor pain to find a specific email when I arrive at a campground tired after a day’s driving. So before the trip, from the comfort of my computer, I copy paste info about each campground into my Notes Trip Summary: Date, Confirmation Number, Site Reserved, Address, Phone Number, etc. The Trip Summary document automatically syncs to my phone, and I can now quickly access the info upon arrival. I also add information, particularly Address and Phone, about sights we want to stop at during the day’s drive.

Importanly, the Notes software automatically converts the Address into a Link. Touch the Address Link on my phone, and it opens up the location in the Maps app. Click on the Directions button, and I am on my way. Similarly, the app converts a Phone Number into a Link; Touch the Phone Number Link and it asks you whether you want to Call the number.

The other really cool feature of Notes is the ability to Share a Note. I share a number of my Notes with my wife, and then she can access them on her phone. This is very useful since I do most of the driving, and she can look something up for me while I am driving. The instructions on how to Collaborate on a Note are HERE; the only confusing thing is that the instructions don't tell you that the recipient must actively accept the invitation to collaborate.
DavidJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 06:35 PM   #13

Tennessee
Thank David, I eventually may become more adept with Notes, but at this point I have not used it much. I have been using pen and paper.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:03 PM   #14

Name: Larry
Trailer: Casita17'Spirit Deluxe (aka: Tweaker's Casita)
Southwest Ohio
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidJS View Post
I agree that Microsoft Word, LibreOffice, and many other computer programs have robust search functions. However, I think the original posters question was about a smartphone app. If I want to find my 50 amp to 30 amp adaptor, I don't want to pull out my laptop; I want to use my phone.
Yup. You and I are in violent agreement on that one.

Quote:
I use the Notes app from Apple because it works on both a computers and a phone, and it is very easy to use. More importantly, if you have an iCloud account, the information seamlessly and automatically syncs between the two devices.
Also true for documents and spreadsheets.

Quote:
Why do I want the info on both my phone and my computer? When camping, I definitely want to access the info on my phone. There are times when I want to access the info on my computer, especially when I want to add a bunch of new info, as the computer has a bunch of other documents or emails with info that I want to copy/paste. Also, for me, the computer has a much better keyboard.
More violent agreement.

Quote:
I want to share ... other features of Notes that I have found particularly useful.

...copy paste info about each campground into my Notes Trip Summary

... the Notes software automatically converts the Address into a Link. Touch the Address Link on my phone, and it opens up the location in the Maps app. Click on the Directions button, and I am on my way. Similarly, the app converts a Phone Number into a Link; Touch the Phone Number Link and it asks you whether you want to Call the number.

The other really cool feature of Notes is the ability to Share a Note.
Way cool; something above/beyond using documents & spreadsheets.

P.S. Thanks for making the coffee for Jeannine on the last couple of days of the Inyan rally!!
LarryB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
If I want to find my adapter plug I look in the bag where I keep all my electrical stuff gathered and organized.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 12:56 PM   #16

Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
If I want to find my adapter plug I look in the bag where I keep all my electrical stuff gathered and organized.
Ah, to be young again! Or at least to be able to remember where I put things...
Old 11-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Ah, to be young again! Or at least to be able to remember where I put things...
I have a 4 page packing list organized by storage compartment that I check off when loading the trailer for a trip. I toss it in the trailer, and can use it to find where I put rarely used items.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:39 PM   #18

Name: Jon
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
me: "Alexa, where is the adapter plug for the Bigfoot?"
Alexa: "You left it on the book case in the living room."

Mostly kidding, but I do make a lot of my lists (to do, shopping, camping, travel, etc) using the Alexa devices. It's great not having to stop what I'm doing and write something down if I want to quickly add something to a list. Plus the list is usually in my hand. Searching isn't simple though, and there is a bit of a learning curve and sometimes what gets written isn't exactly what I said but I can usually figure it out.
JonRaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 11:16 AM   #19

Tennessee
JonRaw, do you take Ms. Alexa with you when you camp? Does she use much electricity? I have never had anything like it. Can apple Notes be stored on it?

I just Googled Alexa: It is Amazon, which also has something called Echo. Not sure of the difference between the two. I am in the Apple universe with iPhones and Mac. I think Apple is Siri, Microsoft is Cortana, Google is Google Assistant. Someone said that Siri is not quit as good as the others.
Old 11-29-2019, 03:27 PM   #20

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
I have download a couple of checklists as a place to start but nothing allows for searching, and on I can't even change or add to the list. I don't want to start a long list then find out there is a better way to do it, or a find checklist already out there that does the job.
Send me an email through the link on my profile here and I can send you some text files with some packing lists that we have here. If you have any PDFs, I can convert those to text files too.

From there I anticipate you can combine and edit and export to Notes.

I haven't tried doing that yet. My Notes on my iPhone consist of a taco salad dressing recipe and that's about it. So, maybe I'll learn as I go along here.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote