Checklists - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2015, 10:59 AM   #1

Name: Stu
Trailer: In the market
Minnesota
Checklists

Leaving on our first trip with our new 16ft Scamp.

Is there a checklist for preparing the trailer for travel before you brake camp?

Also, the trailer has been winterized with anti-freeze. How do we flush the systems so they are safe to use?

Thanks for the help!

Stu
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 12:34 PM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
If you do a search on this forum (use the Google search at the bottom of the search box) you can find a few. The Proud Canadian has one on his website that might be useful.

I'd offer mine, but is is so specific to my travels & trailer (right down to what is in each storage bin) that I doubt it would be of much use. I started it because I tend to take long trips (the last one 305 days) so if you forget something you need to buy or do without it rather than wait until you get home. I have found it useful even for short trips. I print it out, sit down and cross off what I don't want to take on the short trips, then check each item as I load the trailer.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #3

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
Leaving on our first trip with our new 16ft Scamp.

Is there a checklist for preparing the trailer for travel before you brake camp?

Also, the trailer has been winterized with anti-freeze. How do we flush the systems so they are safe to use?

Thanks for the help!

Stu
Go to http://www.scamptrailers.com under manuals. They have video on winterizing, just do the opposite to un-winterize. Thats how i did it. If it is a new trailer you should have gotten a DVD with it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:03 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I just de-winterized with city water. We dry camped and when we first used the onboard water we got antifreeze back into the system. It was in the 2 ft. line from the onboard pump to the city waterline. So don't forget to dewinterize with your waterpump first.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2015, 03:34 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
One solution to dealing (or not dealing) with antifreeze is to use air to winterize your water lines. I've used it for the last 3 years (with -10°F winters). I open the drain on the water heater (and clean out the crud that settles in the bottom over the year) empty the fresh water tank, and run the pump until it is empty. I then set my air compressor for 35PSI, use an adapter to connect it to the city water fill & blow out the lines, opening each faucet until it stops sputtering. Same with the toilet. I do it twice to be sure I removed all the water. Only takes a few minutes, and makes it much easier to dewinterize in the Spring.

The only RV antifreeze I use is in the drains.
Jon Vermilye is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 04:08 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA
W. Mass
Do read up on sanitizing the water system while your at it. I do ours each spring when dewinterizing and when the trailer sits unused for a while.

If you are into such, there is an app for rv checklists. I think that's even the name of it.