Class B Hightop, 1995 GMC Vandura. Roof Leaks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2021, 04:35 PM   #1

Name: Nathan
Trailer: 1995 GMC Vandura 2500
New Mexico
Class B Hightop, 1995 GMC Vandura. Roof Leaks

Hello All and thanks in advance... I hope.
last night I slept in my van under some pretty torrential rain, at least for the southwest. turns out I have a two different leaks (that I know of), one leak is coming from the seal between by fiberglass hightop and the van. I saw one of the screws that is covered by the external black rubber seal on the outside of the van dripping water on the inside. Ok so the plan is to take off the rubber seal, butyl tape all the screws and maybe any large gaps I see, add some dicor non-leveling or maybe even try to everbond tape it (I've got quite a bit left over) and call it good. Any critiques/suggestions?

Another leak I found however is pictured here. Is that mold? you can see the water is just dripping in. This is quite surprising though because this is an area of the roof that is quite sloped, how could there be water??? I also see a few pinholes with diffused light coming through in this area. What should I do? epoxy resin and fiberglass cloth on the inside? flex seal spray on the outside? Also There was some previous damage done right in this area, with some good cracks and I bondo'ed it the best I could then spray painted bondo primer over it.
Attached Thumbnails
image0.jpg   image1.jpg  

NateChuckHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2021, 06:28 PM   #2

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Given the paint runs on the exterior, looks like a prior repair job that perhaps is not working well. I'd give it a hose test, and be prepared to do a proper fiberglass repair on the inside.

Wild guess is they hit something on the top of the van?
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2021, 03:53 AM   #3
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Looking into the storage areas in the front of my Trillium I could see pin holes like you described. These were the result of stones being kicked up. I filled them from the inside with two part epoxy. As new ones appear I will do the same thing. At least one person sprayed the front of their trailer with bed liner. I suspect trying to clean that is difficult. I decided to leave mine as is. It's like little dings on your car, you can spent alot of money and time fixing them or you can learn to live with them.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks