Classic Accessories Cover Failure - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 10:09 AM   #1

Name: Curt
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Alberta
Registry
Angry Classic Accessories Cover Failure

Two years ago we bought a Classic Accessories trailer cover for our 1978 Trillium 4500, so that it could be somewhat protected through our Alberta winters.

First spring we found that the Tyvek top fabric and some of the front fabric was ripped pretty badly due to it being slightly oversized for our trailer and strong winds blowing it around like a flag. My wife the seamstress cut out the ripped parts and sewed it back together so that it was a better fit for our trailer.

Went out this last weekend to get the trailer for the upcoming season and found that that now there is a HUGE rip almost the entire length of the trailer through the Tyvek top fabric, approximately where the aluminum awning rail runs.

I have pictures, but unfortunately can't get them loaded into this message.

The Tyvek fabric is delaminating and turning to powder, leaving white dust everywhere!

We paid too much money for this thing to just throw it in the garbage after 2 years, and we still want to keep the trailer covered somehow. The side fabric is still in OK shape - it's just the Tyvek top fabric that is falling apart.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem with their Classic Accessories or other trailer covers? If so, what did you do to solve this?

My wife would like to try to repair the damaged piece, but what fabric would you recommend to do so, without spending $30 a meter (yard for you Americans out there) for Sunbrella?

Thanks for your help!

Curt
Capn.Curt.Wiebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:50 AM   #2

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
Same here but ours lasted almost 3 years with patching along the way.
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #3
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Classic Accessories cover

I heard it was a materials failure. Classis Accessories replaced mine no charge. They want the number off the tag. Just call them.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:20 PM   #4

Name: Marty
Trailer: in the market
Texas
They must have had a bad run of material. We had two that disintegrated - in both cases, they were replaced under warranty. The third one that we received is working just fine. I was very impressed with their customer service.
marthacoleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:09 PM   #5

Name: Dick
Trailer: '15 17' LD Casita and '17 Tahoe LT
Texas
I just figured 3 yrs. was about the life limit, so I just tossed it. I have always had great hind site!
dmad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:46 AM   #6

Name: Bob
Trailer: Bigfoot 17
British Columbia
I had about 3 years from a major competitor's brand, and it was basically junk after that. Very poor construction in spite of the number of 'layers'. Why not include one layer of tough rip-stop nylon? Might hurt there bottom line I guess.

My solution in the past few years is to buy the largest tarp from Home Depot and I put two over my 17' Bigfoot, overlapped and tied down in many places. I cover any protrusions (e.g awning edges) with foam chunks (zap strapped on) and that minimizes cumulative wind damage. Even if they only last 3 or 4 years, at least the initial investment is much easier to stomach.

Bob T.
17 foot '89 Bigfoot DLX
Bob T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 11:33 AM   #7

Name: Mark
Trailer: 77 Beachcomber
Hilton Beach
Hi Curt, Classic Accessories offers several "collections" of covers. Which one do you have?
The Cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

Name: Willow
Trailer: SCAMP 13 deluxe 2002
California
Yes, replaced no charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by tua View Post
I heard it was a materials failure. Classis Accessories replaced mine no charge. They want the number off the tag. Just call them.
Same for us. Great service, cover replaced at no charge, quickly and easily, shipped immediately to us.
We now drape the C.A. cloth cover with a tarp as well and so far we’re doing well!
ScamperWillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:12 PM   #9

Name: Jonette
Trailer: Boler
Alberta
Hmm, I just bought one from Amazon, but it hasn't shipped yet.
I saw an ad on Kijiji from a guy in Manitoba that makes Boler covers, anyone tried those? I thought the CA one would be better cos they would breathe.....the ones from Manitoba look like either plastic or canvas.

I wonder if you could buy a roll of tyvek from home Depot and glue another layer to the underside of the top? Some kinda spray adhesive should work??
Jonette is offline   Reply With Quote