Cleaning plexiglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Cleaning plexiglass

What is the best way to clean plexiglass? General cleaning, water spots, and ... I got some butyl tape on one.

Cat
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Mcguires clear plastic cleaner is what I use. Boat windshields are plexiglass generally, go to a boat store and talk to them. There's another product I've used too, but I don't remember the name right now. Don't use Windex.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:51 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Years ago I had cleaned a snowmobile plastic windshield with car wax that had a cleaner in it. It got rid of a lot of the scratches. Or how about that headlight cleaner stuff. But I also read somewhere that using Mothers wheel polish would clean up headlight lenses, I tried it and it seemed to work but not real quick. If you try any of these suggestions, do it on only a very small area first to see what happens. Try to pick off the butyl with a plastic scraper or old credit card.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mary and bob View Post
Years ago I had cleaned a snowmobile plastic windshield with car wax that had a cleaner in it. It got rid of a lot of the scratches. Or how about that headlight cleaner stuff. But I also read somewhere that using Mothers wheel polish would clean up headlight lenses, I tried it and it seemed to work but not real quick. If you try any of these suggestions, do it on only a very small area first to see what happens. Try to pick off the butyl with a plastic scraper or old credit card.
Some of the glider pilots I know use Turtle Car Wax on the plexi canopies.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #5

Name: Cathy
Trailer: 1973 Love Bug '13
Florida
Registry
Thanks to all for the advice. Think we are going to go to the boat place.
Cat
Cat futrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:23 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Don't use Windex.
Byron, what's wrong with using windex? If its the ammonia in it, I'm wondering if you can use "windex without Ammonia"??? I recently cleaned my windows with windex...hope I didn't do any damage! Mine aren't pristine anyway since they're 36 years old. So it was hard to tell if there were any new scatches, but it sure looked a heck of a lot better.
I think its important when cleaning it to first just rince with water to get all the dust and loose dirt so the dirt doesn't scatch once you use the cleaners.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
When I bought my Scamp, someone had fun with stickers! They were ALL over the front plexi window. I first used a plastic knife to remove as much as I could, then used fingernail polish remover (oily acetone) and got all the gooo off. Then I cleaned with amonia-free Windex and finished it off with good old Brasso. That final cleaning removed "most" of the scratches and "yellowing." I'm happy with the way it turned out. Isn't as clear as glass, but not an embarrassment and it IS a 26 year old trailer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:52 PM   #8

Name: JW
Trailer: Casita
Missouri
No Windex!

Never use Windex on Plexiglass, it will fog it. Glass shop told me years ago to use furniture polish on Plexiglass.
gihuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:07 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
It's not Windex (brand)... it's the ammonia, use ammonia-free. Same thing applies with car wash products. One of the reasons headlight lenses get cloudy and yellow.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:30 PM   #10

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
That is what I thought too Donna. Its the ammonia that's the no-no.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote