Closet size in a 17' Boler - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-23-2006, 08:29 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 17 ft Boler
Hello again, sorry for the borage of questions, we don't pick up our Boler for another couple of weeks and I just happen to be heading to Ikea next week! Since Ikea is the king of storage ideas I had hoped to pick up some plastic buckets/drawers to use in the closet. I saw one person that had added this type of shelving while leaving room for a few hanging items and that is exactly what I want to do. So if anyone can tell me the inside dimensions of a 17' Boler closet I can maybe pick something up while at Ikea. Our closest Ikea is 12 hours away so I try to take advantage when I am there!
Thanks again!

Karen Fisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
I can easily check tonight - assuming that I remember - but it matters which B1700 (the closets are not the same). Are we talking about...
  1. Rear Gaucho (B1700RGH or B1700RGS) - gaucho is across rear, bath opposite door, closet between bath and refrigerator (example, example, example)
  2. Side Gaucho (B1700SGH or B1700SGS) - gaucho is along curb side rear of door, bath is in street side rear near corner, closet behind bath (example)
  3. some other uncommon arrangement (example)
BolerJunky has floorplans on his web site.

Mine is the rear gaucho version.

(on edit, fixed link to BolerJunky's 78 17' Boler page for floorplans)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 03:22 PM   #3

Thanks Brian, I type would help wouldn't it.. lol Ours is the B1700RGH (Rear Gaucho with the shower). I did check out BolerJunkys floor plans today, what an asset!
Thanks again!

Old 03-25-2006, 06:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Okay, I remembered to measure the closet - but not to post the dimensions! Now to catch up... hopefully before Karen leaves for whatever city has the Ikea store.

My closet is 15-1/2" wide inside, but the frame overlaps the opening a bit, so the opening is only 15" wide.

The opening is essentially flush with the bottom inside the closet, and is 46-7/8" high (I guess they sized it for a 4-foot high door).

The inside back wall and ceiling of the closet is just the inside of the fiberglass shell, covered by the same foam lining as seen everywhere else in the trailer, so it is a curved shape. Thus, there's not just one depth or height to quote:
  • at bottom - 26-1/2" (2' 2-1/2") deep
  • at 32" above bottom - 24" (2' 0") deep
  • at 42" above bottom - 21" (1' 9") deep
  • at front of closet - 48-3/4" (4' 3/4") high
Here's a cross-section across the trailer, or what you would see from the other side of refrigerator if you had x-ray vision...

Click image for larger version

Name:	B1700RG_closet.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	1875

The extra lines inside the closet are just to show dimensions - it's just an open space.

There was a clothes hanging rod across the top of mine. Not really a rod, but a track with plastic parts sliding it it that hangers hook through. I just pulled it out (had to squeeze the end to unhook it, I think) and left the brackets in place in case we want to use it as a closet again later.

We put a stack of plastic storage drawers in the closet, not from Ikea but from Home Depot or Canadian Tire (the Gracious Living brand, found all over the place). These drawer units are not advertised as being modular, but they are in one-drawer sections which are snapped together, so with some care they can be reassembled into whatever combination of shallow and deep drawers is desired.

This is the type of storage unit Jackie showed us in Scamp 13' Closet, Restoring and Remodeling.

One warning about trying to install anything in this closet:

The left (rearward) side is the right side of the refrigerator cabinet, so the other side is not accessible for anchoring fasteners (such as putting a nut on a bolt from the inside) except at the back (via the outside refrigerator vent).

The other side is worse: the right side is shared with the bathroom, and has a screwed-on access panel to get at the shower plumbing. This side wall is fastened to the closet floor and front panel, but is attached to nothing along the trailer shell. It moves around with any force, so it's a lousy thing to attach shelving to.

I think some free-standing form of storage is a good idea.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 09:16 PM   #5

That is absolutely fantastic Brian! I can't thank you enough for those measurements. I don't hit Ikea until Friday of this week so plenty of time for me to check out the ideas you suggested! I will be sure to post lots of pics once we pick up our Boler and start the renos. Thanks again I really appreciate your help! Also a great reference for others!

Tags
boler