Cold Floor - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2018, 10:38 AM   #1

Name: Laurie
Trailer: Meerkat
California
Cold Floor

Up at 6,000ft in Yosemite, the camper stayed warm but the floors were freezing. Any suggestions on thermal covering or carpet to reduce the cold?
Lfrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #2

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Any cheap throw rugs work really well, especially the ones sold as bath matts (they usually have a foam backing and are fluffy) or the rubberized mats they sell for just a couple of bucks at Dollar Stores - the ones for in front of the kitchen sink.

Other folks have bought a set or two of the interlocking foam mats (look like puzzle pieces) that they sell at Home Depot or Lowes. These are easy to trim to the proper size and easy to pick back up when the weather warms.

If your floor is similar in design to the Scamp:

Finally, the side of the drop from the dinette area to the main floor, and the area under the kitchen cabinets is often just vinyl over the steel frame member - conducts a LOT of cold. I have rolled up a blanket and stuffed it under the toe kick area, and drape a fleece throw to cascade over the step from the dinette down. These two temporary measures helps immensely when sitting in the trailer during the cold weather. Also, don't forget covering the windows and ceiling vents with reflectix - this also helps a lot and reduces condensation.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #3

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
We use two carpets in our Scamp - a good one and a lousy one. The lousy one is a small cotton throw rug in front of the door - cotton is very cold on bare feet. The good one is a wool runner that goes the whole length of the galley. The ends have to be folded to fit, but that is not a problem. That good one is warm on bare feet, being wool. Both are easy to pull out, shake the dust, dirt or crumbs out of them and throw them back in. Since we have the original Scamp carpet, these rugs tend to creep towards the rear, but I do not think it is a big deal to pull them back in place by a couple of inches once a day, or so.
The cotton rugs are cheap to begin with, the wool rug was used and hence it was also quite cheap.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Interlocking foam squares, available in a range of colors and woodgrain. Trim to fit. Add a throw rug on top if desired.
https://www.greatmats.com/tiles/inte...s-wood-rev.php
Click image for larger version

Name:	Foam floor tiles.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	125416
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:11 AM   #5

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Interlocking foam squares, available in a range of colors and woodgrain. Trim to fit. Add a throw rug on top if desired.
https://www.greatmats.com/tiles/inte...s-wood-rev.php
Attachment 125416
We used these in our Lil Snoozy this summer during our Alaska tour for 4 months. They really worked great for keeping the feet warm. No socks or slippers needed, AND the added comfort for the knees when ever we had to get things out of the refrigerator or bottom cupboards was a welcome bonus. The problem we had with these was with the finish. Shoes grip very well with the surface of these mats, and when you turn, the surface rips off over time..
Dave and Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 11:30 AM   #6

Name: Susan
Trailer: Scamp
New Mexico
The Interlocking foam mats are great. As shown by John in AZ, you can even get some woodlook ones. We camped once in cold weather without them- our feet froze. Next trip after adding the mats our feet were nice & toasty. They also cushion the floor for the dog to sleep on & can be removed easily & washed if necessary.
Poodlesrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Under carpet heating has been discussed here many times. If you are just looking to take the chill off your feet and are at a site with electricity this might be what you are looking for: https://cozywinters.com/shop/rug-hea...iABEgKtY_D_BwE
Sid
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #8

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodlesrule View Post
The Interlocking foam mats are great. .
.. Here is what I did with the foam tiles. It worked fine for one trip, then I came home and Tropical Storm Michael came to visit. Floor got wet, I think from the furnace vent. Water was trapped between the foam tiles and the vinyl floor. Had to take out the foam tiles to get the camper dried out. I expect that I will not put them back in. A pair of slippers will do.
Attached Thumbnails
FromFront.jpg   FromDoor.jpg  

gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:30 PM   #9

Name: Charlie
Trailer: 2014 Lil Snoozy
North Carolina
Registry
We discovered the foam tiles after we had a plumbing leak. We had just replaced the sheet vinyl in our Lil Snoozy with vinyl planks . The fresh water tank drain leaked. We fixed that and cleaned up all the water we saw. We didn’t think about water under the planks. After a couple of weeks we noticed mold on the lower trim molding. After tearing out the flooring. Replacing the moldings and killing the mold . I decided to paint the fiberglass floor with garage paint and not use a floor covering. We did that and it looked great but it was cold. The foam tiles work great and we take them out when the trailer is not used. They are also some of the cheapest flooring you can buy.
charlsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:38 PM   #10

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlsara View Post
We discovered the foam tiles after we had a plumbing leak. We had just replaced the sheet vinyl in our Lil Snoozy with vinyl planks . The fresh water tank drain leaked. We fixed that and cleaned up all the water we saw. We didn’t think about water under the planks. After a couple of weeks we noticed mold on the lower trim molding. After tearing out the flooring. Replacing the moldings and killing the mold . I decided to paint the fiberglass floor with garage paint and not use a floor covering. We did that and it looked great but it was cold. The foam tiles work great and we take them out when the trailer is not used. They are also some of the cheapest flooring you can buy.
After one of our big floods at home in NJ, I used a loose lay floor from Karndean in my next house. The individual planks can be lifted and dried and then placed back in place. I'm in love with them and will order some for my Lil Snoozy when I finally get it...next year! I don't want issues if the dogs water bowl spills or I have a leak. I'm not very handy.
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 03:48 PM   #11

North Carolina
Registry
When we replaced the molding I didn’t raise it over the tiles. They are very easy to take out and in.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #12

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Good wool socks !!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 08:01 PM   #13

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
When the tiles are installed can the Porta-Pottie door be opened? I suspect the thickness of the flooring will be too high to accommodate this low door.

I find that the original Scamp floor is a little too slick when I have our duffle bags on it in transit. There is nothing to keep them from skidding off the "step". I'm thinking that the non-skid interlocking flooring used for showers would work here.
Attached Thumbnails
SCAMP Interior October 2011 005.jpg  
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 10:04 PM   #14

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
When the tiles are installed can the Porta-Pottie door be opened? I suspect the thickness of the flooring will be too high to accommodate this low door...
There was some discussion on FB about the gap at the bottom of that door. Seems like there is quite a bit of variation from the factory, so my guess is it depends. The door can be trimmed to accommodate any thickness flooring, though, so I don't see it as a big issue.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:20 AM   #15

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilda View Post
When the tiles are installed can the Porta-Pottie door be opened? I suspect the thickness of the flooring will be too high to accommodate this low door.

I find that the original Scamp floor is a little too slick when I have our duffle bags on it in transit. There is nothing to keep them from skidding off the "step". I'm thinking that the non-skid interlocking flooring used for showers would work here.

The interlocking foam mats do come in a variety of thickness. The common ones are 3/8", 1/2", 3/4", 7/8" and 1". There are some thicker EVA mats around but they are more typically sold in roll form by the foot.

So just figure out how tall of a mat will work and then shop online for it.

By the way you can get the mats in glamping patterns and colors. Do a web image search on "Geo foam floor" you can order it online through places such as Target, Google Express, etc.

Another option is to use yoga mats, they are made from the same EVA foam as the thicker puzzle mats. Those also come in lots of glamping colors and patterns. I use one under my cushions and mattress, it keeps them from sliding plus it does add just a little bit of cushioning and insulation. Also a good option for inside of cabinets too keep things from sliding around.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:19 AM   #16

North Carolina
Registry
We use these same mats under our mattress to add some insulation and extra cushioning . It seems to help some.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:08 AM   #17

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All... Cold floors... warm heart!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:16 AM   #18

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Good wool socks !!
You beat me to it Steve!

It doesn't hurt to have a bit of insulation on the floor to help keep the trailer a bit warmer. Though we currently have the foam floor insulation option, we tend to use a lightweight polyolefin or polypropylene rug of some sort as they don't absorb water. However, while they won't trap water underneath, they don't really add very much insulation. This is our current one:

Safavieh Courtyard Collection CY7427-079A5 Beige and Dark Beige Indoor/ Outdoor Area Rug (2'7" x 5')

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UL7SIDI

But ultimately, good socks are the thing to make sure that the occupant stays warm.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2018, 10:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 1973 Boler 13 ft
Registry
Natural shearling lined moccasins is my answer. Even nearly worn out they keep feet warm on cold floors. A long carpeted runner on top of a cold floor doesn't hurt, either.
Tony O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 07:26 AM   #20

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
cork floor

We are considering cork subfloor with floating cork tiles. Easy to remove if wet, antimicrobial, insulating. Does anybody have any experience with this material?